Site Sponsors

Thread: Seattle SLUGs , rain help requested ( others can chime in too)

Post Thanks / Like

Seattle SLUGs , rain help requested ( others can chime in too)

I just realised that if anyone would know about rain use of leicas, it would be you guys , I know Ive asked about using Leicas in the rain before but now its at the critical point

We have had the worst summer we have had here in E Canada for about 25 years , It has rained almost all of July and August so far with temps about 18 C ( 55-60F) we actually cancelled our vacation this week and rescheduled to the last week of August!

I was reluctant to take my M8 out in the rain, but I really like using it , Im looking at tips/hints on 2 fronts

1: whats the best way to keep the camera dry ? Umbrella? keep it under a raincoat?

2: what is a good recommendation for a waterproof carry case, all it needs to carry is my m8, 50 cron and an iPhone

thanks

Robert the rainman

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Seattle SLUGs , rain help requested ( others can chime in too)

Hi Robert, I've used the M9 in spring this year. It started to shower and the camera and lens got a little wet. It wasn't soaking wet, just you could see drops of water on the body and lens. The camera/lens was out for about 20 minutes. When the shower kept going and got more intense, the camera went back into the Domke F5XZ. This bag had the brown waxed canvas and repelled the rain pretty well. Went back in the car and toweled off the water on the camera and lens (good to have towels on spring/fall walks).
    There are times when I carry only the camera. It is usually slung across the chest. When it rains, it just gets tucked under the elbow for coverage.
    Haven't seen any fogging issues with the RF or lens.
    Hope this helps.
    Regards, Ed.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Have used in mist and light rain, usually carry some microfiber towels to wipe off camera and lens as needed. I do not use in a steady rain, but as others have mentioned in other threads, keep under coat, in bag, or shoot from protected areas with overhangs on rainy days. I do not hesitate to carry the camera with me everyday, just make a judgement call on when, where, and how to shoot in the inclement weather.

This spring & summer may go down as one of the worst in many parts of the North American Continent!

The upside is different shades of grays to shoot . . . . .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
    The upside is different shades of grays to shoot . . . . .
    Ah yes... living in the big softbox of the PNW. Ya gotta love it.

Robert, I do the same as Dan, carry a Microfibre towel and shoot judiciously.

BTW, when we moved to Seattle, we quickly learned that you could tell the tourists by their umbrellas... the locals are the ones in GoreTex.

Cheers,

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Robert:

It does rain a bit here! I'm like Ed and keep a micofiber cloth with me, so the water doesn't sit on the camera/lens. I'll take the leica out in light, intermittent, rain. It's usually sheltered under my right arm when not to my eye. No problems.

If it's really nasty, and I'm going to be out in it for a while, I'll take the D700, instead, or, keep the leica under my coat.

Common sense. For the $$$, a little more sealing might have been expected!

Cheers, Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone

now that Im all set for rain shooting, I'm hoping mother nature will try and screw me over with some sun

so a Domke waxed bag is a good idea, Ed?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dude163 View Post
    Thanks everyone

now that Im all set for rain shooting, I'm hoping mother nature will try and screw me over with some sun

so a Domke waxed bag is a good idea, Ed?
    BAGS....that is one slippery slope. It is really a personal choice.
    I have not used any waterproof ones. Most are water resistant.

I have 2 Billinghams but they look too "dressy" for me. I am usually in jeans and t-shirt. They do get wet when they get older but I'm not out so long for it to soak through. When new, the water just beads up.

The Domke gets used everyday. There is a calendar and pen to write down notes and appointments and it fits in the outside back pocket (photo 2). It does not soak like the Billingham fabric if there is a fresh coat of wax on it.

The interior is divided into 3 compartments (photo 3). Each compartment is large enough for a camera with a lens attached. One pocket for a blower, spare battery or flash. The other pocket can carry 2 lenses easily. So, the point is, it is versatile and I can tailor the things I want to carry.

Last weekend while out with the SLUGs, I even had a tripod "in" the bag (photo 1).

I took out the DOMKE label in front so it is more inconspicuous.
    Hope this helps.
    Regards, Ed.

Attachment 47627 Attachment 47628 Attachment 47629

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Canvas is not good in the rain. I would stick to nylon.

Regardless of your bag, if you have removable inserts, place the insert in a large plastic bag making a waterproof seal around the contents. So if your bag is soaked, the stuff inside will stay dry. I can roll down the plastic bag so it stays out of the way when I am working, but can pull it up when needed. Also stick in some desiccant.

From your neighbor across the border in Maine where we are have a very nice summer.

Post Thanks / Like

even Maine has nice weather! GAH!!! dang bay of Fundy microclimate!

I have a nylon bag now, I think Ill try that plastic bag trick , as the Domke looks awesome, but its too big for me, if I could get away with just the camera around my neck I would, I should grab a never-ready leather case!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Robert, great question. I don't worry much. I avoid heavy downpours, but if I must, it's an umbrella. Otherwise, I bring the camera out, and make sure to have a towel around to dry it off periodically....I use Fogg and Billingham bags, and they do fine in the rain (wouldn't use them in a downpour, though...
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Come down to my neck of the woods and you won't have to worry about rain. Now the paint may bake off your camera but getting too wet won't be a problem. Average high June and July: 102 degrees Farenheit.

Post Thanks / Like

Stand by for some rain shots