The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bag for 2 Leicas and 4 lenses

S

Studio58

I need a camera bag. I have an M8, M9, 24 Elmarit, 35, 50 & 75 Summicrons and a light meter. At the moment I have it all in a Domke F803 Waxwear which is a great bag, but a bit small. i want to try to stay compact... any suggestions ?

Godfrey

I need a camera bag. I have an M8, M9, 24 Elmarit, 35, 50 & 75 Summicrons and a light meter. At the moment I have it all in a Domke F803 Waxwear which is a great bag, but a bit small. i want to try to stay compact... any suggestions ?
The Artisan & Artist ACAM 7100 (and virtually identical Black Label Bag "Oskar's One Day Bag Mark II" from Photovillage.com in NY) is very similar in overall dimensions to the Domke F803 but it's more square shape and slightly larger fore-aft dimension gives it a lot more room. Two Leica M digital bodies and four lenses should fit with plenty of room for meter and other details, and if that isn't big enough, there's a larger model ACAM 7000 which will swallow that equipment up easily.

There's also the ACAM 1000 model, similar to the ACAM 7100 in the main section but with an additional zippered and padded front pocket that can handle three Leica M lenses, minus the weather over-flap.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I ve been working on this challenge for 4 years now and tried most of the alternatives. Important up front decisions/observations :

1. Most photographers think about travel requirements first. It has to have this much capacity. What about your MacBook or iPad ? The trip that requires? more than 4 lenses ? That new smaller camera ....x1,x100etc. Batteries,cards etc?

2. Padding and closure requirements are different for a working bag than a carry bag. When traveling I want a thick insert and I use bubble wrap or small towels to cover every angle .

To get around this I use 2 even 3 bags on a trip. Sounds crazy ? I use two full size bags (like a Billingham Hadley Large ) for the carry ons . One is packeted tight for security , the other work out of on the trip . Sometimes I use a small 4 wheel roll bag as the 2nd bag and wrap extra camera equipment in domke wraps .

In my checked baggage I put a very small Artisan & Artist Bag .. For lenses ,batteries ,cars ,towels . It will hold three lenses . The bodies never go away when I am out .

OK ..you wanted a bag for 2 bodies and 4 lenses . Here are my choices :

1. Domke J 803 ...with a Domke original bag F2 insert ..wide (this is lower than the normal one) . This was jack s set up and I used his photograph as my guide. This will handle 2 bodies with short lenses and another 4-5 lenses (depending on size).

2. Artisan and Artist ... Oscars . about the same as the Domke with better padding . Nicer bag and still discrete .

3. Billingham Hadley Large .... this has been my most used bag all around because it will take the MacBook 15 inch. I use it with different inserts for different applications . Its big and flexible . makes it easy to reconfigure .

I found sizing a big issue and went to measuring the dimensions . Length depends on your need for a macBook ..if so its 13inch minimum otherwise its about 12 . Height ...no issue here as the M stuff is small . You should stack lenses with a back to back rear cover. Width is critical for me . I want 4 inches not wider . I don t want to be bumping people and things with the bag on the street .

When i shoot on the street I have 3-4 lenses (maybe different depending on the light) and try to appear either as normal as i can or as an authorized PJ . I would prefer no bag when shooting or the smallest I can get away with.

The Think tank retrospective bags are very nice and the 5 makes a good shooting bag but will not handle two bodies and 4 lenses. They also have no padding so you have to pick from other vendors inserts .

henningw

My favourite Leica bag right now is the Black Label Image Smith II. It can carry 2 Leicas with lenses and up to four additional lenses, or the extra compartments can be used for viewfinders, filters, batteries etc. It has little pockets for cards.

The nice thing about the Black Label bags vs. the Domke 803 which I otherwise use regularly is that the lens compartments aren't too deep. The Domke is better for cameras with long lenses.

Whatever you get, you'll keep on looking. I've been looking for 50 years, and the perfect bag is only perfect until the next lens or camera comes along that doesn't fit correctly in your present setup.

Then there is the whole thing about transporting vs. shooting bags, but that doesn't happen as much with Leica setups as with big DSLR or MF.

Henning

seakayaker

This past weekend I used the ARTISAN & ARTIST* ACAM-7100 bag and carried a M7 with 35 Lux, M9 with 50 Lux, along with a 75 Cron, spare batteries for both cameras, 2 extra rolls of film, 2 extra SD cards, 2 ND filters, bulb, lens cleaner kit, and a couple of microfiber cloths.

. . . . . with a little effort and rework, I am sure I could have have added another lens.

atanabe

+1 for the A&A 7100 - smallest bag that I have that can carry M9 w/35 'Cron, M6 body, 90 Elmarit, 75 Summarit, 28 'cron, 15 CV, 50 Elmar, 4 batteries, viewfinder. The lens caps are glued back to back so that I can stack two lenses securely into one compartment. If you are using big glass like the 21, 24 Lux or 50 Noct you may want to store the lenses off the body and stack them.

I have moved away from carrying a bag with my M kit and instead wear a vest with two lenses in the pockets and one mounted. If I want to carry a fourth lens then it goes into a belt case. Keeps my shoulder free and one less swinging bag in the way. It is easy to get through airport security as well, just take off the vest place it in the tray and off you go. I can then carry my computer and reading materials in a messenger bag.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64996415@N06/6032953537/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/64996415@N06/6032955965/in/photostream/

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I use a vest as well when shooting . If I am in a crowd such as an event I wear the vest and get out in the street as a free lance PJ . People identify the vest as authorized photographer . No bag swinging around . 2 bodies and 3-5 lenses.

But when it really hot or I want to be discrete I will use the small bag just for lenses.

S

Studio58

Thanks guys, good suggestions. Love that A&A 7100 and the Domke f5Xc looks great also (great video BTW)

S

Studio58

Having looked further, I reckon I will be happy with the Artisan but hope I chose the right size. The 7000 is slightly bigger. Any reason why the 7100 was recommended over this ?

ramosa

Or Domke F-803. It's a great bag. I have one in excellent condition that I have been planning to list for sale. Let me know if you're interested. (I'm selling it because I'm in progress of downsizing from four to two lenses.)

Godfrey

Having looked further, I reckon I will be happy with the Artisan but hope I chose the right size. The 7000 is slightly bigger. Any reason why the 7100 was recommended over this ?
The 7000 seems quite a bit larger. As I said, the 7100 seems big enough to do the job with comfort, but the 7000 would be a thought if you want more room.

S

Studio58

my order from PopFlash has still not arrived and the order disappeared off my Ebay summary. Feeling ripped off at the moment. Will never purchase from that vendor again.

seakayaker

my order from PopFlash has still not arrived and the order disappeared off my Ebay summary. Feeling ripped off at the moment. Will never purchase from that vendor again.
I would give them a call or send an email. I have bought items from both their internet online and ebay storefront and have never had any issues.

I have emailed and spoken with Alex on the phone at popflash in the past and he was very helpful. Alex <[email protected]> (805)492-6548 or ask to speak with the owner Tony Rose.

I bought the 7100 vs the 7000 because of the size difference. The 7000 was too large for what I wanted to be carrying in the street when out and about.

shtarka1

I would give them a call or send an email. I have bought items from both their internet online and ebay storefront and have never had any issues.

I have emailed and spoken with Alex on the phone at popflash in the past and he was very helpful. Alex <[email protected]> (805)492-6548 or ask to speak with the owner Tony Rose.

I bought the 7100 vs the 7000 because of the size difference. The 7000 was too large for what I wanted to be carrying in the street when out and about.
Agree with Dan. I have purchased many items from Tony & Alex & They Have Always Been Professional & willing to go the extra mile to keep me happy. Definitely give them a call & they will fix the glitch. Good luck.

S

Studio58

Thanks guys... you are probably right. It will most likely show up eventually !!!

weinschela

Subscriber Member
Popflash is very reliable. Tony Rose and Alex very responsible. I have ordered many items from them, and in part because their customer service is exemplary. Do not leap to any conclusions and pick up the phone. I think you will find a responsive person on the other end.

Godfrey

Thanks guys... you are probably right. It will most likely show up eventually !!!
Don't just sit around and wait. If you ordered a week ago and the item has not appeared yet, CALL THEM.

I've done business with Alex and Tony since May, four or five transactions so far. They've been 100% ... very high on service and very fast shipping. I've never waited more than three days from placing an order to receiving it.

Any vendor can have a problem now and then, and it doesn't have to be any fault of theirs. Don't sit around: just call and find out what the situation is.