The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

THE SAGA CONTINUES

codocee

Well, it appears my recent post on my M8 issues is shared by others as well and in pretty good numbers. Seems a software solution is used by others. If some people choose to use the software fix and others are sending in the camera for the same issue only incurring significant cost to do so, why in the hell does Leica not do this fix for free. I still don't get their approach. Some pay!
Some don't!
Doesn't set well here.
See the link

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109469

The real kicker for me is:

Is someone going to pay me $2000 for a used camera that I disclose has a vertical line issue? I think not. Or, is Leica going to force me to spend hundreds of dollars for a problem they are very well aware of, and have billed many customers for to date.
I want my camera fixed and I want Leica to absorb the cost.
Still mulling my strategy

Last edited:

Peter Klein

codocee: All cameras get hot pixels. It's just that some have a firmware routine to map them out (e.g. Olympus, Panasonic), and some don't (Leica).

There is not reason to dump Leica. Instead, get this free software (PC-only unfortunately): http://pixelfixer.org/

You calibrate it once, then run it on each folder full of RAW files before bringing it into your RAW developer program. Save the trip to Leica repair for a truly serious issue. This isn't one. It is also likely that the vertical line you think you have is just a processing artifact of another hot pixel, and it will vanish once you've got it mapped out. Try PixelFixer and see.

Leica isn't perfect. But I still prefer my M8 to any other digital camera I've tried. I wish the M8 and M9 had a hot pixel mapping-out routine in firmware like me E-510 and Panny G1 have. But it isn't the end of the world.

--Peter

jlm

Workshop Member
last time i went out to visit friends in the Hamptons, a New York Cote d'Azur wannabee, i saw a parade of 35 Ferraris; probably at speeds approaching 40 mph