The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Summarit-M 75mm vs Color Heliar 75mm

Godfrey

Has anyone used both of these lenses? If so, I'd be interested to hear your comments on how they compare.

Thanks in advance!

Godfrey

Hmm.

While I'd like the Leica lens, I don't use this focal length enough to warrant double to triple the price. I prefer the smaller, lighter form factor of the VC f/2.5 model ... I think CQ still has them in stock in black too.

Wish more people had had both to comment.

250swb

Sean Reid at ReidReviews tested both the Summarit and Color Heliar and found them to be about equal in optical quality, so cost aside the choice was down to how you like your rendering (which was very subtly different). In fact in the test the Heliar wasn't very far away from the f2 Summicron in many respects.

So I went for the f2.5 Heliar and couldn't be happier. It is well built, it definitely compliments a lens collection that is primarily Leica, and is great at all the usual apertures. But as I guess with a lot of people I don't use it as often as a 50mm or 90mm so the cost is a very big plus on the side of the CV lens.

I've not used the f1.8 Heliar, but from what I've heard it is very soft wide open, so a 'glamour' portrait lens if ever there was one.

Steve

Last edited:

seakayaker

Godfrey, I have owned both the CV 2.5 & CV 1.8.

Different strokes for different folks but I prefer the small size of the CV 2.5 over the larger 1.8.

A great lens for the price.

thrice

Sean doesn't cover longitudinal chromatic aberrations in his comparison. I like the rendering style of the 75 Summarit. As has been said the bokeh and sharpness is pretty comparable between these two lenses.

Godfrey

Sean doesn't cover longitudinal chromatic aberrations in his comparison. I like the rendering style of the 75 Summarit. As has been said the bokeh and sharpness is pretty comparable between these two lenses.
Thanks again.

After a bit of thinking, I decided to hold on the 75mm focal length for a bit. No need to buy everything at once. Combination of 28mm and 50mm will work well for a while on the APS-C format, and I have a Nikkor-H 85mm that will also be useable with an adapter.

Might go for one of the Nokton 40/1.4 too though ... I think that would be of more immediate use to me.

Braeside

Godfrey I have the 75mm Color Heliar LTM, it was the very first lens I bought when I got my used M8u. I think it was about £180 used on eBay and I have been very pleased with it (after I fixed the slight RF focus problem by polishing the cam). Looking forward to trying it on the GXR when the mount arrives.

Last edited: