Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: An informative book for M9

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    408
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    An informative book for M9

    Does anyone know of a good book on the M9 that explains how to use this camera to it's best?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    408
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: An informative book for M9

    No books out there?

  3. #3
    Subscriber Member KurtKamka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    26

    Re: An informative book for M9

    In my opinion ... the best book is the book of personal experience.

    1) Carry the camera with you everywhere
    2) Shoot everything around you that you find interesting
    3) Don't be afraid to experiment and follow your instincts; shoot into the sun, wide open, stopped down, etc.
    4) Review your results ... the self-awareness and resulting images will help propel you forward
    5) If don't like what you are seeing, go back to step one
    6) If you like what you are seeing, also go back to step one

  4. #4
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: An informative book for M9

    Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    In my opinion ... the best book is the book of personal experience.

    1) Carry the camera with you everywhere
    2) Shoot everything around you that you find interesting
    3) Don't be afraid to experiment and follow your instincts; shoot into the sun, wide open, stopped down, etc.
    4) Review your results ... the self-awareness and resulting images will help propel you forward
    5) If don't like what you are seeing, go back to step one
    6) If you like what you are seeing, also go back to step one
    I like that. I'd add only one thing:

    0) Study the instruction manual and try all the camera's features, then forget the ones you don't need.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    408
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: An informative book for M9

    That's the problem I'm having...I find the manual a little difficult to understand...for eg. I couldn't figure out how to set user profiles from the manual...
    KurtKamba: thx your advice is spot on...if I can just figure out the manual

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    519
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: An informative book for M9

    I had a look at some books available, all were to weak for me..
    http://www.amazon.com/Leica-Digital-...3842414&sr=8-6
    http://www.amazon.com/Leica-Expanded...842414&sr=8-12

    Have a look here:
    http://www.overgaard.dk/leica-M9-dig...er-camera.html
    http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-...s-answers.html

    Eventually this one, more about rangefinders and history, than M9, but useful:
    http://www.amazon.com/Leica-Advanced...842487&sr=8-18


    And shoot, shooot, shoot!
    Best Regards!

  7. #7
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: An informative book for M9

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
    That's the problem I'm having...I find the manual a little difficult to understand...for eg. I couldn't figure out how to set user profiles from the manual...
    KurtKamba: thx your advice is spot on...if I can just figure out the manual
    I've had similar problems with every camera I have used that includes the ability to save profiles ... exactly how to set them up and they behave in use is never really well explained in any manufacturers' manuals. I do use them once in a bit, but overall I've learned more about how to do so my experimenting than by any book or instruction manual I've found.

    Ah for the days when all you had to know was how to set the exposure time, the aperture and the focus ... !

  8. #8
    Subscriber Member weinschela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York suburb
    Posts
    458
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: An informative book for M9

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry_R View Post
    I had a look at some books available, all were to weak for me..
    http://www.amazon.com/Leica-Digital-...3842414&sr=8-6
    http://www.amazon.com/Leica-Expanded...842414&sr=8-12

    Have a look here:
    http://www.overgaard.dk/leica-M9-dig...er-camera.html
    http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-...s-answers.html

    Eventually this one, more about rangefinders and history, than M9, but useful:
    http://www.amazon.com/Leica-Advanced...842487&sr=8-18


    And shoot, shooot, shoot!

    Agree abouty the Taylor book. I was quite disappointed. Reading book about how to use your camera is a bit like readinga book about how to sail a boat.
    Alan

    Selection of work: http://weinschela.zenfolio.com

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Briarcliff, NY
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: An informative book for M9

    I just took the Leica weekend course: super, and learning experience is amazing!!!!

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    233
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: An informative book for M9

    M9 is the only digital camera that you don't need a book for.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    408
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: An informative book for M9

    Where and how does one go about taking a Leica Course?

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    74
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: An informative book for M9


  13. #13
    Seafurydriver
    Guest

    Re: An informative book for M9

    I attended the Leica Akademie M9 class in SF this past June, and while it was an excellent course, and I would highly recommend it, I also feel that someone who was completely new to Leica, rangefinders, and the M9 can get a lot of very good information from David Taylor's "Leica M9, The Expanded Guide".

    Again, this is not a book for someone with vast Leica experience, but for the newcomer. Specifically I like this guide because it discusses:

    1. Some history about Leica and the M series.
    2. Step by step instructions of menu functions, with color illustrations.
    3. A clear and concise explanation of the viewfinder, framelines, and focusing.
    4. Metering and exposure compensation.
    5. DOF & Hyperfocal distance, and how to properly set them on the M9 (infinity at one stop more than scale).
    6. Leica lenses, but also Zeiss and CV with examples and list of non-compatible lenses.
    7. An excellent introduction to Lightroom, covering workflow.

    The book obviously covers more than just these seven items, but I think it does an excellent job of bringing the newcomer up to speed on using the M9 in the real world. At the Leica Akademie M9 Experience we did cover all of these items, but having a basic understanding of them before taking the class would, IMHO, allow the individual to get much more from the class.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    408
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: An informative book for M9

    Thank you...will look for it on Amazon

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •