The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ANyone here use a Wacom Tablet for editing?

dude163

or does everyone use a regular mouse?

Presently I have a Razer Abyssus gaming mouse ( 3500 dpi :p) and its great, but I was thinking for more complex curves and editing a tablet *might* be a better bet

I own an ancient graphire2 tablet, and I believe that has 256 Levels of pressure, the new ones are 1024 or 2048 and some come bundled with great software too

any thoughts?

Robert

Steve Fines

For some things like dodging and burning in PS I can't imagine going back to a mouse. The pressure gradations with a pen are just (to me) so much better.

For web surfing I've tried to use the pen, but the mouse is just better.

So my thoughts are to get one with a pen / mouse combo and use whichever is the better tool for the job.

Diane B

I've used a 6 x 8 Wacom for years. I've actually gone through 2 as my original was a serial and drivers weren't available for it any longer so bought a USB a couple of years ago. I use it for really everything as I just got so used to using a pen. Oh, also used to have a Graphire and more recently a Bamboo (passed to my husband) that I used when I shot commercial and was on location for a week or so. I can't imagine not working with one if you work in Photoshop but I use it in Lightroom too with brushes and gradients (and usually have it in hand).

David Schneider

If you are doing serious retouching, a graphics tablet and pen is the best. It's hard to do finer quality work, at least for portraiture, with a potato or a rock. There are a couple of new tablets out there that are getting decent reviews at a fraction of the price of a Wacom, but I haven't tried them.

For the $43 price, this is a fairly low risk way get into using a tablet. I wouldn't expect it to be as good as a Wacom costing $250-$450. www,monoprice.com had one that seemed pretty good.

Last edited:

Chris C

... get one with a pen / mouse combo and use whichever is the better tool for the job.
Agreed. For example, I always prefer a mouse for locking down Curve shapes, and always use a mouse on the 'net. I wouldn't want a pad with pen only.

........... Chris

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Whenever I am doing retouch, I am using a wacom, wither an L or a wireless.

Pressure sensitivity on brush sizes makes it all so much easier and increases your options.
-bob

Diane B

Agreed. For example, I always prefer a mouse for locking down Curve shapes, and always use a mouse on the 'net. I wouldn't want a pad with pen only.

........... Chris
I don't know about other graphic tablets, and admit I know nothing about any but Wacom, but every tablet I have ever bought from Wacom has come with a mouse--which you can map separately from the pen.

Diane