The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

40mm f2.0 Summicron?

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Anyone know much about it? I'm look at an M6 in an estate auction this coming week end with one on it. It looks a little ratty but suspect it nothing Sherry can't clean up. Should I go for this combination? I going to dig out my Puts book to learn more. It looks like a nice addition to my M8 lens set plus gives me an M6 along with the M3 and M4.

archiM44

A good one is really very good. I used one for years on a CL.
Some don't focus well on the M camera's (M6 for example) because the cam is different (steeper) than the one on M lenses, but mine did focus perfectly on my M6. Beware of fungus on an older one and carefully look at the rear element under a sharp light. Sometimes the Canada balsam which was used to cement elements starts to degrade. Looks like small bubbles if you use a magnifying glass.
A good example should be great on an M8 because the weaker corners and edges are cropped out.

Maurice

W

weinglas

Hi,

i have one on my M8 and after a CLA it focusses perfectly. Quality and drawing is not far away from a 35 summicron IV. And if you modify the lens to bring up the 35mm framelines (but beware: this will cost you money if you want to sell it later ;) ), which fit very well, it is the best bargain of all Leica lenses!

Best regards, Claus

LCT

Great lens, have 3 copies of it, same IQ as 35/2 IV, no focussing problems with M3, M4-2, M6J, R-D1, R-D1s. Difficult to find out its specific rubber hood (# 12518) though. Better buy the lens with its hood if you can pick up one in good state. Also 39mm filters don't fit easily because of a specific filter thread. If you have the hood it will take Series 5.5 filters that don't exist as IR-cut's AFAIK. Little trick of mine here: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/355704-post5.html

Stuart Richardson

It's a very good lens indeed. The only problem is that it is a 40mm lens -- the framelines aren't quite right (unless you modify it to bring up the 35mm framelines). I actually found it a bit too small...the aperture is hard for me to set. That could be from my hood though -- I adapted the hood from the 35/2 ASPH, and while it works perfectly, it intrudes a bit on the aperture ring. The rubber hood is useless. I don't have many examples at hand, but this is one: