Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: On a positive note: Just bought one

Post Thanks / Like

On a positive note: Just bought one

Just purchased a used, mint DMR.

So folks like myself see still value there, and there is a used market for those who want to sell. Not such a bad situation for the owners who have been hanging in there for a while....

Regards,
    Peter

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: On a positive note: Just bought one

Peter congrats. I still love the DMR and do miss it sometimes. It is a great tool and should last you a long time with great images coming out of it.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Guy.

I am looking forward to showing some images soon (still need a camera and one or two primes :-))...).

This forum will for sure be helpful; I enjoy the "Leica R" section.

That said, if Leica indeed announces a MF kit, I'll take a hard look. My Hassy 503cw/Aptus17 is a great teaser to show what digital MF can deliver.

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats - it's nice kit.

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice move Peter, so it looks like you will not need to demo mine to see if you like it!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I jumped, since the offer was good.

The jump is not that large, since I have other gear that meets my image making needs.

This purchase is really about "satisfaction" in terms of the tactile and ergonomic feeling, the "process" of shooting, rather than final IQ or similar. If its only about IQ, I would buy a P25 for my Hassy503cw.
    The weight, hmm, but I have been using a 1D-II with 70-200/2.8 IS and 580EXII, so it can't shock me. And I most likely stick to primes.

The other tendency I experience is to shoot more at higher ISO's and using the grain/noise as element. I am absolutely not convinced that D3 noise-free-ness, is what I need or want.

So we'll see....

My other speculation is that lenses will get significantly cheaper in the short term.

I still need a R8 or better R9, mint, and one or two lenses to get really going.

PS

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, you folks should post more images on the image-thread!!!

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter look for a 280 F4 . happens to be a brilliant lens and also the 180 f2 BIG or the 2.8 version. The 19mm is a gem and so is the 28mm plus others as well. But if you need help deciding let us know.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Peter,
    Congrats on your DMR. Being on the fence about whether to sell or not, its nice to see someone buying...kind of bolsters me up. Everyone will have their own favorites on th lenses and I think that's because they are all good and your choices will depend on what you shoot. However that said the 100 apo just seems to sing on the DMR, as does the 80 lux. The modern zooms are actually all very good. I like the zooms because with the 10mpix of the DMR its nice to do the cropping by framing with the zoom rather than cropping in post - saves pixels. Also you can zoom all the way in for critical focus then back off to do your framing. Both the 35-70/4 and 35-70/2.8 have very useful macro ranges so that makes them very versatile lenses. A lot of people praise the 28mm lens 2nd version and it's worthy, but I found the 24mm to be better mated to the DMR in a lot of circumstances. Actually it has lower macro contrast than the 28mm but at least on the DMR plenty sharp and the lower contrast means you can record higher contrast scenes more easily with one shot. The same is true for a number of the older lenses which perform quite well on the DMR.

Good luck with it!
    Eric

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My vote for lenses (and my kit for a long time which fit nicely into a not-too big or heavy shoulder bag):

19 f/2.8
    28 f/2.8
    35 f/2
    60 Macro
    90 f/2 APO
    180 f/2.8 APO
    2X APO Extender (double duty for either 90 or 180)

Others will likely mention some other standout lenses:
    100 APO Macro
    180 f/2 APO
    280 f/4 APO
    80 f/1.4

I also really like the 105-280 f/4.2.

Good luck with the DMR. It has produced some of my favorite images to date.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, Peter! THe DMR has been fantastically productive for me, I hope it does the same for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree on lens prices in S/T, so may be good timing on your part. If the budget permitted I'd have one in my cabinet as well. Love the lower-ISO IQ and the ergonomics. The lenses are, in many cases, unparalleled.

The lenses mentioned above are all stellar with the 60 macro (come F4+) one of the best bargains out there in Leica land.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks folks for the comments;

Still looking for a camera; that's too funny, have a d-back, but no camera yet.

Lenses:

- Thinking of the 100m macro; partly for the macro ability, partly to cover that medium-tele range. It should be really sharp (I guess), and it should also allow nice background separation at f2.8.
    Hopefully that makes sense.

- Thinking about either 35 or 50 Lux; I have both on the M, and they are super. (M-35-lux image from yesterday attached).
    Besides the obvious difference in focal length, are there any other thoughts regarding differences between those two -Bokeh? Contrast? Sharpness? Ease of focus?

- Wide-angle side undecided; the current 19mm interesting, ROM version would make sense; how about the 21mm/2.8 asph - any experience?

- Eric, thank you for your comments and pointers to the zooms; would be quite handy, but I am a bit concerned about the slower lenses in combo with the not so great ISO performance; plus zooms seem to confuse my previsualization a bit, having to consider all these 'choices' with respect to focal length...
    --

Bye for now,
    Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice shot Peter. I highly recommend the 100mm. It is extremely sharp, but not harsh. It has great bokeh, and obviously it focuses very closely. It is my favorite lens in the 90-135mm focal length for any system (well, other than the 110/2 for hassie/rollei).
    100mm:

For the 35/50 debate, while I prefer the angle of view of the 35mm on film, I think the 50mm f/1.4 E60 is the one to go for. It is compact, very sharp and has lovely bokeh. On the DMR it is a short telephoto like the 75/1.4 (50x1.37 is 68.5mm f/1.4). It is more compact and lighter than the 35/1.4 and a better performer.
    50mm f/1.4 at 1.4 (on film)

To be honest though, I will agree with Eric (EH21), I mostly used the 28-90mm asph on the DMR -- it is very sharp, the bokeh is excellent, and the performance is outstanding. It is truly a replacement for the primes in all but speed.

28-90:

My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Peter,
    Yes the zooms take a bit more work but not necessarily slower as there is a 35-70/2.8 which I own (and it's on my DMR more than any other R lens except maybe the 80lux) and also a 70-180/2.8 apo. Optically I couldn't fault the 35-70/4 but my eyesight is crap and I couldn't reliably focus the f/4 in darker lighting. An aftermarket focusing screen might be something to consider.

btw - I have both a 50 lux (latest E60 version with ROM) and a 50 cron (also latest with ROM) and would be willing to sell you either one as I don't need both particularly since I mostly use my zoom in that range - also why I sold my 60mm macro.

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The latest 50 lux R is the same formula as the 50 Lux ASPH for the M . Great lens

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Guy,

I think you've gotten too caught up in this MFD thing and have forgotten all your old Leica tricks.

The 50 lux-R and the 50 lux-M ASPH are distant third cousins, not twins. The 50 lux ASPH for M is the first major redesign of a 50mm in 50 years, taking head optics designer Peter Karbe over 10 years to perfect. The current 50 lux for R is quite a few years old, and while a very solid performer is nowhere near the newer ASPH M lens with floating element.

The 50 crons, on the other hand, are much more similiar, as are the 90 APOs.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmm seems like the same time. 1997 or so

11869 (T)
    1.4/50mm Summilux-M
    -
    current
    M46x0.75
    built-in
    -
    E46
    -
    1.4/50mm Summilux-M
    -
    1966-1995
    M43x0.5
    E43

R

11344-ROM
    1:1,4/50mm Summilux-R

from 1997
    built-in
    E60

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Erwin Puts talks about the difference in his article on the 50/1.4 ASPH. You can scroll down and read about it here too: http://www.imx.nl/photo/leica/lenses...es/page88.html

The Summilux-R E60 (from 1997) is significantly better than the pre-asph Summilux-M, and it is the best performing 50mm f/1.4 available other than the 50/1.4 ASPH. The ASPH is sharper, particularly in close with its floating element, but I think the 50/1.4 E60 is better overall, as it has a more pleasant character, while still having all the sharpness and flare resistance of the best modern designs.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!

pascal_meheut

If you are looking for lenses, I'll probably will sell some soon. At least the 15/2.8 asph and the 280/4, maybe also the 35/2, 135/2.8, 19/2.8 II, 180/2.8 Apo & extender...

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

50 lux ASPH is part# 11891

It was introduced in late 2004/early 2005 along with the 75 cron APO. These were the first ever M lenses with floating elements.

As I said, the 50 lux-R (E60) is a very solid performer, but not quite as sharp wide open as the 50 ASPH M. I found that I often chose to take the 60 Macro over the 50 lux to cover the mid focal length. Having both a 50 and a 60 in my bag just didn't work for me. YMMV, of course.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Post Thanks / Like

Had two 60mm macros one newer one with ROM and one very old one, and frankly both were great. The first one I traded away in part for a 35-70 elmarit, then I bought another one when a deal presented itself to me. I compared it to the 35-70 elmarit and though it was great decided I didn't need the overlapping focal range and sold it. Actually I regret selling this lens both times and have even made the buyer of the ROM version promise to offer it back to me if he were to sell it. No such luck! He's keeping it. Its an older formula but really a great lens. Certainly at the price should be in every R shooters kit. The 50 lux has a different character though, not quite as dreamy as the 80 lux but significantly more dreamy than the 60macro. Sigh! I guess you'll have to try them all!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pascal_meheut View Post
    If you are looking for lenses, I'll probably will sell some soon. ... 180/2.8 Apo & extender...
    Which 180 APO?

pascal_meheut

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    Which 180 APO?
    The current one, first version modified later to accept the 1.4 extender.

I'm not happy to sell such lenses but I'm having a hard time manually focusing a SLR thoses days. My youth is long over.

Post Thanks / Like

Reading the above, I know I'm going to miss Leica glass on my 1DS2 if/when I move to Nikon, but sometimes you have to move on I guess.

That said, SGK will convert R to F mount IF the rear element doesn't extend past the rear mount at infinity (FF mirror clearance issues), so all hope is not lost.

They also will make one-off R-F adapters, but they add 5-8mm of extension.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you guys tried Hassy-V glass on the R's ?

There are adapters on ebay for $40-$50(hard to say, though, which one would be best).

I have in particular a spectacular Zeiss 120mm macro; but also the normal 80mm/f2.8.

I guess they would get much "longer" so to speak; conversion factor 6x6 to 35mm at least 80/50 (focal length of normal lenses on both systems), multiplied with crop of 1.37 of DMR, so around 2.2. So my 120mm Zeiss might look like a 260mm...

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually Peter, they would stay the same focal length, only you would be using a smaller section of the image circle. So your 120mm, which has a similar angle of view on 6x6 to an 80mm on 35mm, will look like a 120mm on 35mm. On the DMR, it will look like a 165mm would on 35mm.

Either way, it might be fun in a pinch, but the V lenses don't really stand up to the R lenses in terms of performance and ease of use. They were designed for a much larger film format, and as such, they capabilities are not as high. All that extra light bouncing around also leads to flare, and of course the lenses are slow compared to R lenses and require stop down metering. For the most part, there are no better lenses out there than the R lenses, so if you are going to shoot Leica R, you might as well use them.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You should jump on my R lens sale ... the only reason to own a R is the 35/1.4 and 80/1.4 the other stuff is just a fun bonus !!!!

Post Thanks / Like

fotografz, I sent you a PM earlier to get the info I need to send you the paypal payment for the 35-lux etc. Please get back to me, txs, Peter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    That said, SGK will convert R to F mount IF the rear element doesn't extend past the rear mount at infinity (FF mirror clearance issues), so all hope is not lost.
    leitax.com makes R -to-Pentax conversion kits and expects to have an R-to-Nikon F conversion kit available in a couple of months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    leitax.com makes R -to-Pentax conversion kits and expects to have an R-to-Nikon F conversion kit available in a couple of months.
    Doug, this is excellent news in my opinion. If Leica go completely mad at Photokina and announce the end of the R system thus alienating their loyal R user base, at least we will have another extremely good probably better digital camera platform on which to mount our beautiful R lenses.......the finest 35mm lenses optically in the world.

The D3 and D700 would offer full frame resolution and very high ISO advantages over the DMR..........just what the R lenses need to show off their full performance..........assuming that the F mount can be fitted to these bodies. Other advantages, focus confirmation and a very bright viewfinder also certainly with the D700, a much smaller and lighter body with a good sensor dust reduction system. Not to mention a pop up flash for infill or external flash trigger systems for those that use flash. Did I mention weather sealing?
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

pascal_meheut

I for one would like to use my R lenses on a Pentax body. Both analog, current DSLR and maybe their futur FF digital.
    However, it seems that lenses are used stopped-down then.

Post Thanks / Like

Doug - great info indeed. They seem to have their act together and I like the DIY aspect of their kit. I'll keep an eye on the site for the Nikon kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow that is great news . I had to go through hell to make a Oly lens converted to R. Sk Grimes did it at almost 500 dollars. Now if they can make a R lens fit a Nikon than some real possibilities there.

Post Thanks / Like

...it seems that lenses are used stopped-down then.
    Did not try it but my feeling as well.

Post Thanks / Like

However, it seems that lenses are used stopped-down then.
    Yes. Same is likely true of the conversion to Nikon F.

Post Thanks / Like

Getting the aperture mechs to sync properly would be hellish - and spendy. Just keep those R lenses that you truely savor (no, not all of them ;>) for those unhurried shots.

I use pretty well use alt glass almost exclusively on my 1DS2 and while a PITA at times, the trick (which I have yet to master given my pavlovian dislike to many EOS lenses) is to have a mix between good quick AF or auto-aperture MF glass (at least an option on a Nikon) and the 'let me caress it first' top-drawer stop-down gear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It won't be a quick and dirty fix as it appears that each and every lens will need to be adapted rather than just a Nikon body conversion adaptor for all the R lenses.

Once adapted the lenses will not be able to be used on R bodies without going through the reverse process I imagine. If this is right then a decision will need to be made............either R system or Nikon F with adapted R lenses. Could be a tough call for DMR users!

The manufacturer has only purchased some of the cheaper primes so far for his development work, but intends to follow up with the zooms later.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

roberth

so how much does a second hand DMR (back only) go for these days?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I sold mine for $3600 USD in early July.

roberth

sounds like a good price, I'm still umming and arring about selling mine and replacing it with a Nikon. The downside is that I can then no longer use my R lenses on anything and I have a few. Selling the lot would get me a very nice Nikon kit but is that what I am not sure I want to let go off all the wonderful glass.
    thanks for the quick answer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Either way, wait until Photokina -- you will have a much better idea about where the R system is headed. Either there will be a new R10, or there will not. If not, your DMR will probably be worth more. If so, your R lenses will be worth more, though the DMR will probably go down in price. I will say though, that I went to Nikon, and for what I have been doing with it, the D3 is really a much better camera than the DMR was. The prime lenses can't really compete, though the new Nikon 24-70 and 14-24 are every bit as good as their Leica equivalents (well the 24-70 is...the 14-24 has no equivalent).

roberth

I'll do some research and figure out what I get in exchange for selling a DMR, 21-35, 35-70 f4, 70-180, 85, 35 f2, 50 f1.4, 60 macro and a few other bits and pieces.
    and maybe Canon will have something by Photokina that I can still strap my R lenses to.
    Last edited by roberth; 28th August 2008 at 03:55.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roberth View Post
    I'll do some research and figure out what I get in exchange...
    Very few i'm afraid, close to zero in fact...
    BTW, how much for your 50-1.4?

pascal_meheut

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    I sold mine for $3600 USD in early July.
    Someone offered me 2300 (euros) for mine to be paid in september. This is quite close to 3600 USD.
    I just sold my 180/2.8 Apo for 1500 EUR/2200 USD.

So I guess a DMR, 21-35, 35-70 f4, 70-180, 85, 35 f2, 50 f1.4, 60 macro are worth something. Maybe not on EBay but more on Leica users sites.

Post Thanks / Like

Therein lies the rub. If there is an R10, your back price will drop but R prices will stabilize. The converse with no R10 (or at least an 'R10' that takes R glass),DMRs will become a collectors item and glass prices will drop.

There is a growing market for alternative glass among Canon users via adapters, but the number of lesser-priced options they have are numerous (Nikon (including G with DIY adapters), OM, CZ, Zeiss ZF, etc, etc, etc) so you can sometimes hold the pricier Leica lenses for some time prior to sale (been there).

Oh - don't even think of asking guys like KEH, etc for a quote on your gear if your heart isn't strong (< $2000 for a clean 180/2 APO at last count). Used dealers just aren't buying (some like Kurland literally) and some appear to be getting an influx of demo or new old stock from Leica instead. FAR better to list privately and take your time. If you're willing to ship (or are located in Europe, prices are better).

Always wanted a 70-180 APO... sigh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, I sold the DMR, but when I started to think about selling some of the glass, I gave up. Sub 1000 for the 35/1.4? No thanks, I would rather pay a bit and have it converted to Nikon F mount. Same thing with the 100/2.8 and 180/2.8 APO. These lenses are too good to low ball...much better to convert them to a mount that you can use. Or just use them for film!

roberth

sounds like a great time then to buy Leica glass instead

Post Thanks / Like

I guess there is opportunity in uncertainty - but hopefully that period of time will only be a few weeks now. The thing to remember is the leica stuff is like a thinly traded good. I've seen DMRs sell over the last two months in a range of $3400 to $5800. You may have to wait until two buyers want one at the same time! I have no idea how many units or even how many lenses are out there but if demand picks up the surplus dries up quickly. People buy these things just to collect them.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've sold all my R gear. The usual choice pieces went almost instantly. I priced them reasonably to move them out. The DMR/9 didn't sell here, but on e-bay went to a fellow in Germany pretty quickly... for $5,200. if I recall correctly.

The R system has been a love-hate relationship for most of my shooting career.

Lots to love, but hated not having the option of at least focus confirmation ... and no more DMR firmware improvements was disappointing.

Plus, I have to have a fast AF DSLR with sophisticated flash control for my work, and that turned the R gear into a pure indulgence which at some point became just too expensive. The D3/D700/new AFS lenses with a nice range of Zeiss ZF optics on the side lessened the blow of losing the R gear.

I will still watch Leica in future, and hope they provide you folks with your dream system.