Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: M8 what do you use

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

M8 what do you use

I copied this thread from the Buy and Sell since it got into a very nice topic of what you go out with to shoot in regards to gear and the M8. I can't delete this first post since it will delete the whole thread so ignore the first images. Thanks Guy

Please see the Buy and sell section for the actually gear for sale

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: M8 and lenses for sale

Sweeeeet stuff Woody. Agree with you wholeheartedly about the 28 cron. Good luck with your sale.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is a spectacular Leica lens selection. Good luck with your sale, Woody, but I'm sorry to see you selling your M8.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 90 Cron is sold

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta ask why. Why sell all this. Must be that serious MF itch right?

Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by neils View Post
    Gotta ask why. Why sell all this. Must be that serious MF itch right?

Neil
    Pretty much right Neil. After spending the kind of bucks I did for the H3DII-39, and after seeing the results, the H3 is my landscape camera of choice. And for all images that will ultimately be printed large.

For general purpose work, including macro and telephoto and low light, the Nikon is just hard to beat. Granted the files are not up to M8 standards but close enough for what I need.

So the issue is whether it makes any economic sense to hold on to all this wonderful M series stuff. I am keeping my M6TTl's (2) and the M3 and a gaggle of CV lenses and the Leica 21 Elmarit, 50 pre-asph and the 85 Summarex. I will continue to shoot M shots, just not M8. So that is the logic.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 75 Lux and the 28 Cron are spoken for. Waiting for payment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I fear you're going to regret this Woody...

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You can have my M8 when you can pry it from my cold, dead hands.
    That is unless a successor comes along... :-)
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack, Do you know something that we don't or is that just a general feeling ?
    Mike

website under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mwalker View Post
    Jack, Do you know something that we don't or is that just a general feeling ?
    Nope, but I know Woody and I've seen his images from both systems... What I am alluding to is that for right now, the M8 is an excellent imaging tool and one Woody generated many excellent images from. Sure, his auto-everything Nikon is easier to use, but frankly the rangefinder is a different tool for different purposes... (And IMO the files from the Nikon are not nearly as nice to work with as the M8's...)

Moreover, even *IF* an M9 is released (which I doubt will be this year BTW), it is likely the IR leak issue will be resolved at the sensor. This means the M8 may be one of the only cameras viable for generating BOTH visible and IR images via appropriate filter selection, and thus makes it a pretty desirable imaging tool IMO...

Cheers,
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well Jack, you may well be right. AS I stated earlier, this is not about anything negative about the M8 but rather that I now have a landscape tool in my H3 which allows me to do the work that I want. I know you remember the sunset shot of Half Dome from our workshop in Yosemite. I can't imagine the file would have been anything but better with the Hassy. It better be or I have truly wasted $40K+!

Frankly, I would love to keep all three systems but I can't really justify it. I do love the Nikons FOR WHAT THEY DO WELL but have never pretended the files are as good as the M8. But they fill the need for macro, telephoto, speed of shooting, high ISO performance etc that cannot be dealt with by either the M8 or the Hassy H3.

As I also said, I am not selling all of my lenses. I am keeping the CV's (12,15,25 snapshot, 35 1.2, and 35 1.4) and the Leica 21 Elmarit, 50 Lux pre-asph, 50 elmar, and the wonderful 85 Summarex. I have three film bodies, two M6TTL and the M3 (with a still working Leicameter) so particularly for black and white I have the tools to create wonderful Leica images. Oh, and I forgot to mention I also have the Zeiss 28 and 35. Did I mention I had too many lenses!!! God I am sick.

And if I am wrong about the decision to sell the M8, I guess i will buy another. There are plenty to be had from dealer demos to pristine copies on the used market. I'll lose some money in the process but not seriously so. Frankly the 21 Elmarit, 50 Lux pre and the 85 Summarex will take care of 90% of my particular needs. So either with film or digital, I am still in Leica business.

By the way does this sound like a rationalization because i need the money for higher priority gear?.................Thought so!

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody,

I hear you on the glass and understand selling off the superfluous items, but frankly if it were me I would sell off two of your film bodies (probably both M6's) and keep the M8 --- in that way you have the best of all worlds

Cheers,
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

O.K. Jack

Even with all my rationalization I fear you are really right about the M8 so I am withdrawing if from sale.

The lenses remain for sale with the 90 Macro, 50 Cron and 135 APO/Telyt remaining.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack can you talk me into putting more money in my 401k
    Mike

website under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mwalker View Post
    Jack can you talk me into putting more money in my 401k

Sure... As long as your 401K is invested in camera gear!

Jack

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    O.K. Jack

Even with all my rationalization I fear you are really right about the M8 so I am withdrawing if from sale.

The lenses remain for sale with the 90 Macro, 50 Cron and 135 APO/Telyt remaining.

Woody
    You don't really want to lose your travel kit if you can help it. One reason i have the little Alpa, there are other reasons and that is to use my MF back but the three of us will chat in Florida about some of this stuff. By than we will have a better idea on what is coming to market also. I am sitting pat myself. Yes the handcuffs are killing me but i want to know what is next this time before i move on anything. Now if a 24mm Alpa lens comes out of hiding for a great price than all bets are off.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That little Alpa is a total POS compared to an M8...

Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey you want to test your M8 and your 28mm against my mighty P25 plus back and a Schnieder 47mm there big fella. You WILL be buying that steak dinner.

Actually that would be a fun test. Just don't ask me to focus it . LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You guys are so much fun. Can't wait to see you again in Florida.

Anyway, as goes the M8, for now at least that is a done deal. Stays in my travel bag to do what it does best.

I think I will take your advice Jack and sell at least one if not both of the film bodies. (Can't bear to part with the M3 so that means both of these cherry M6TTL's). Might as well since I am not actually shooting film as much as talking about shooting film.

So if anyone is interested in a LNIB M6TTL either a 0.58 or a 0.85 let me know. I also have one of Tom Abrahmmsons rapidwinder clones which is a delight.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Hey you want to test your M8 and your 28mm against my mighty P25 plus back and a Schnieder 47mm there big fella. You WILL be buying that steak dinner.

Actually that would be a fun test. Just don't ask me to focus it . LOL
    Don't ask you to focus it?????? That my friend is over half the freaking battle!

Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Don't ask you to focus it?????? That my friend is over half the freaking battle!

LOL piece of cake just close your eyes and guess. I actually have a focusing RF viewer , works pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are so much fun. Can't wait to see you again in Florida.

Anyway, as goes the M8, for now at least that is a done deal. Stays in my travel bag to do what it does best.

I think I will take your advice Jack and sell at least one if not both of the film bodies. (Can't bear to part with the M3 so that means both of these cherry M6TTL's). Might as well since I am not actually shooting film as much as talking about shooting film.

So if anyone is interested in a LNIB M6TTL either a 0.58 or a 0.85 let me know. I also have one of Tom Abrahmmsons rapidwinder clones which is a delight.

Woody
    Woody That was a close one!!! You realize that if you ditch the M8 .....you will have to move to "The Film Forum" over at he LUF. Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea and you DON'T want to go there. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL piece of cake just close your eyes and guess. I actually have a focusing RF viewer , works pretty good.
    Okay, we'll do a speed test too for the wine
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Make that Martini's and your on. LOL

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

O.K. Jack

Woody
    Hi Woody
    I think you're really making a good decision in keeping the M8.

I completely understand where you were coming from - I have a similar situation in that the D700 is just a better tool for low light - which is why I'm selling my Nocti (sad though I'll be to let it go). If I want that 'feel' then the zm 50 sonnar gives a similar feel at f1.5, plus it's tiny . . . and sharp as a pin above f2.8. The WATE is going because it's big and clumsy, even though I do like the results.

But I'm keeping both bodies, and 7 or 8 lenses. I'm actually planning a little comparison between the CV15 and the Nikkor 14-24 to wake up the Nikon forum a bit

One forgets what a great thing the M8 is to have in a small bag on winter evenings.

I'm not sure that I agree with Jack that the M8 files are nicer to work with (for me, that really is one of the big joys of the D3/D700, the files seem to take anything you throw at them). There's no doubt that the M8 files have bags more detail though, and there's that certain kerzang about them.

Good luck with the other items (not interested in my WATE are you )

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono

I had a WATE for a brief period and really liked the results.

But like you, I find it large, clunky and the finder is a bit of a mess.

I have both the CV 12 and CV 15 and find they do a very good job. A fantastic job if you factor in the price.

So I will continue my journey to paring down my lens kit rather than expanding it. I suspect that with fewer lenses I might actually take the opportunity to use this great tool.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I suspect that with fewer lenses I might actually take the opportunity to use this great tool.
    We should all print this out very large and tape it to our camera cabinets Seriously, I found I enjoyed my M8 system a *LOT* more when I got it down to the point where everything fit in my Domke J803 (2 bodies and 5 lenses fit easily).
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack

I am very serious about this. I suspect that if i went out with, say, a 28 Cron and 50 pre asph only, I would really shoot slowly and methodically; would be forced to do a little walking to get the composition right (and be thinking about the outcome while doing so) and would end up with way more keepers.

Once home and the files processed, I also suspect i would have a few really pleasing images. This would encourage me to do yet more of this kind of shooting, with the M8. Lens choices may vary depending on what is on the venue for the day, but other than that, two lenses and a cloud of dust.

I am really going to try this for a few weeks.

Hopefully i'll be posting some images for all to see.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think that is an outstanding idea Woody

I remember reading this saying several years back and thinking how often it was applicable to myself and my camera gear -- maybe it works for you too:

"Nothing facilitates efficient decision-making better than a lack of options."

Jack

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody - that is what I have been doing. I usually take two lenses with me when I go out with the M8 (sometimes I take only one, sometimes three). Most of the time I never even use both lenses or if I do I change lenses once and usually leave it on for the rest of the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am a 3 lens guy. 21,28 and 50 and call it a day with the M8. Maybe slip a 12 in the corner pocket

Post Thanks / Like

If you have seen my posts you know I am a big proponent of using two bodies. This changes the choices in a significant way. If I have one body..it really can t be a lens over 50 unless its an unusual situation. Otherwise I would miss many opportunities as I am just too slow to change lenses for a specific shot. So if its one body ..I think I would go with the 50 1.4 preasph and the 28cron in my vest/jacket/shirt. But with two bodies....I want a longer lens ..75/90/135 depending on the location. If I have good light or impressive buildings ..I want the WATE. So I usually take 6-7 lenses to a destination and then pick 3-5 for each shoot. But with one body it would probably be 2-3 lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I shot NOTHING but my 21mm SA on my own M8 for almost a full year, just to really be able to master that lens when I wanted to use it. The net results I would say are SO much worth having put in that effort. I now feel not only a master of this lens on an M8, but also feel it made me a much better photographer in the process. But then, the 21mm SA is likely the hardest lens of the lineup to use, since it sits so far back into the body that auto aperture does not work. This is a fully manual bag folks, no cheating allowed. I've shot my 24 ASPH for years, so adjusting to that lens only took me a few weeks on the M8, as the first lens I used. Lately, I started moving up in the format to use my old 35mm Cron. Been on the camera now constantly for the last six or eight weeks. Next it is going to be a 75mm Lux, and the 28 Cron. Each in their turn, for the most part.

Bottom line, you want to be a great photographer, you just have no shortcut to using the gear so often, you build enough experience with it that you shoot your images without even thinking about your camera. You are too busy making artistic decisions for those petty details to creep into your consciousness. How anybody ever manages to do this carrying around a bag full of lenses is beyond my own comprehension. I tried it for years, and finally realized how dismally I failed at really perfecting my knowledge of any of them. Realizing once and for all that having the best of the best is an important ingredient in creating the ultimate image, it just isn't the only one.

Oh, and for the record, that Alpa TC is a great camera Guy, but my money is on Jack with the M8 in your competition. <Grin>.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody,
    90% of the time when I go out shooting in NY it is with one body and one lens 28 cron and 50 lux are the usual choices. I just came back from shootint the M8 + 28 cron side by side with the D700 and 24-70. M8 felt like a point and shoot when I picked it up.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I second the second body! Last trip I had two M8s, one with 35 Cron ASPH and one with 90 Elmarit. WATE in the bag for the wide stuff. It's almost like having a 35-90 zoom. I have always found that when I use zooms (like the 24-70) I'm either at one end or the other, so why not just carry two faster, lighter prime lenses on two bodies?

I also respect Chuck's strategy. When I was starting out I only had a 50mm lens. I used it for a year before getting my next lens. Needless to say, that is still my preferred FOV (35 on the M8) more than 20 years later. With my normal one body kit, I rarely take the 35 cron off the camera. Yet, on very few occasions have I not taken my other 3 lenses with me in the bag. Chuck and Woody, I applaud your bravery.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, we are clearly at all points of the compass on this discussion! <grin>

I wasn't advocating a strategy whereby all of the time you have only one or two lenses. The choice of number and types of lenses are a function of what you are going to shoot!

What I have found myself doing is standing in front of a scene I want to photograph and spending a large amount of time trying to decide what lens I wanted to use. Franky, because of the inaccuracy of the Leica frame lines I don't find them super helpful in this regard either!. As I thought more about it I realized that if I had a lens like the 28Cron on board, moving 10 feet or so in any direction would often have solved the problem. So my experiment is to do just this and see how often I miss a choice shot for lack of lenses in my bag.

I suspect that when I am done with this exercise I will be down to either a CV 12 or 15, 21 Elmarit, 35 1.2 ultron, and 50 Lux pre asph as my total lens kit. When I need something longer, or macro etc it will be shot with the D700.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Darn this is a nice discussion on what and how much you use. Wish we had this in the M8 section. I may copy this thread over and try to cut out the for sale stuff. Let me try it. Don't shoot me I am the idiot admin. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: M8 what do you use

Okay please continue the discussion in it's new placement. Thanks for your patience

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I completely understand where you guys are coming from. Being a bit of a gear head, it was difficult to pair down equipment. However once I did, everything became easier and much more enjoyable.

Over the last couple of years, I have come to the conclusion that I really see things as a 50mm lens does. If I want to go wider, my mind views as a 35 but never wider. For longer shots, my vision basically is in the 90-105 range.

I have consolidated my Leica gear to the 28, 35, 50, & 90. As I've previously posted, the M8 + 1 lens is the 35, the M8 plus two lenses is the 28 & 50, a full kit is the M8 + 28 / 50 / 90. On my M7, it is M7 + 1 lens is the 50, or the full kit being 35 / 50 / 90 (even had the frame lines changed to only show the 35/50/90).

My MF kit has followed suite also. I have a 50 / 80 / 150 plus extension tubes for the Hassy and I have the 45 / 80 for the Phase / P30+. I'm considering the add of the new 150 for the Phase system.

Being self restricted to basically three lenses for each system has really improved things for me, as I had less choices which helped me spend time to learn the lens and work it for effect.

Sometimes less is more.

Ray

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Jones View Post

Bottom line, you want to be a great photographer, you just have no shortcut to using the gear so often, you build enough experience with it that you shoot your images without even thinking about your camera. You are too busy making artistic decisions for those petty details to creep into your consciousness. <Grin>.
    Great post Chuck.
    My problem is that, I get to know a lens / camera combination really well, then, if I use something else for a week or so, when I get back to it all that instinctive stuff is simply gone pfffft!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I loved my 35 v4 cron, but in the end, found it a bit close to the 50 or the 28. Then add I decided I wanted EITHER the 28 Cron or the 35 v4, and the 28 won that battle. BUT I certainly understand Ray's logic above -- for a one-lens kit, the 35 on the M8 would be hard to beat...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by harmsr View Post
    I completely understand where you guys are coming from. Being a bit of a gear head, it was difficult to pair down equipment. However once I did, everything became easier and much more enjoyable.

Over the last couple of years, I have come to the conclusion that I really see things as a 50mm lens does. If I want to go wider, my mind views as a 35 but never wider. For longer shots, my vision basically is in the 90-105 range.

I have consolidated my Leica gear to the 28, 35, 50, & 90. As I've previously posted, the M8 + 1 lens is the 35, the M8 plus two lenses is the 28 & 50, a full kit is the M8 + 28 / 50 / 90. On my M7, it is M7 + 1 lens is the 50, or the full kit being 35 / 50 / 90 (even had the frame lines changed to only show the 35/50/90).

My MF kit has followed suite also. I have a 50 / 80 / 150 plus extension tubes for the Hassy and I have the 45 / 80 for the Phase / P30+. I'm considering the add of the new 150 for the Phase system.

Being self restricted to basically three lenses for each system has really improved things for me, as I had less choices which helped me spend time to learn the lens and work it for effect.

Sometimes less is more.

Ray
    Ray

I am getting exactly to the same point for a three lens system except I now have a mint 85 1.5 summarex which takes the place of the 90 APO. Of course it doesn't have the razor sharpness or the apo corrections of the 90 APO but it is one of the most wonderful drawing lenses (IMHO) in the Leica stable. My copy is from 1954 and it just has that terrific Leica glow. It is now in the capable hands of John Van Stelten (www.focalpointlens.com) who is lapping in the focus helicoid and polishing a couple of the lens surfaces. John is pretty much acknowledged as a genius in this area and in the same competency camp as Don Goldberg and Sherry Krauter. If you have lens issues, he is a great resource. At least you don't have to worry about polishing off the lens coatings because there are none on the Summarex. <grin>

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey everyone

I understand why Guy wanted to move this thread from buy and sell to here so that the discussion about shooting styles and needs can continue in the proper place.

However it has messed up my buy and sell thread a bit because now everyone seems to be coming here instead but not with the intent of buying lenses. So if you have any interest in these pristine M lenses I encourage you to go to the B&S thread.

I have not gotten any recent offers so make me an offer I can't refuse on the remaining lenses. Otherwise I will be posting these on EBay. I would much rather see these wonderful lenses in the hands of the appreciative shooters on this forum.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes PLEASE folks if interesting in any great Leica M lenses see Woody's post in the buy and sell. I certainly did not want to take away from the buy and sell but this discussion was very good and after things sell in the B&S the info just wanders off. Here things are more fresh and follow the natural course of time.

Woody sorry if this hurt any sales. Drinks on me in Florida

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes PLEASE folks if interesting in any great Leica M lenses see Woody's post in the buy and sell. I certainly did not want to take away from the buy and sell but this discussion was very good and after things sell in the B&S the info just wanders off. Here things are more fresh and follow the natural course of time.

Woody sorry if this hurt any sales. Drinks on me in Florida
    Absolutely no problem Guy. I am glad you moved this to keep the central theme and discussion which started to happen moving along because it is very relavent to the issues of making images. Like so many other threads, the B&S is focused on gear which is fine but limiting.

Glad my B&S and some of the issues started by Jack turned into a thread of potential for all of us.

See you soon and I would have the drink on you but I stopped drinking a while ago. Feel much better without the booze and certainly will stop being a danger to myself on the roads.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Great post Chuck.
    My problem is that, I get to know a lens / camera combination really well, then, if I use something else for a week or so, when I get back to it all that instinctive stuff is simply gone pfffft!
    Jono, you just didn't REALLY master that particular lens combo. It takes a LOT of time to actually accomplish that, in my own opinion. I'm sure others may disagree with me here, but honestly it probably took me shooting almost a whole year, with likely 75,000 captures to get to a point where I feel I have mastered my 21mm SA. Not joking here either. It could have been 100k frames even. The point is, I can shoot that lens on my M8 body in total darkness, including setting up focus. Focus on it I simply do by feel now, without the need to even use the viewfinder. I walk towards a subject, already turning the focus ring to the right spot, and when I stop I raise the camera and shoot. Quick. Very quick. Before anyone can even recognize that I am actually shooting a photo. Once accomplished, I can now put that lens on and it is like an old friend, always right there set just as I want it without even looking at it. Granted, the hyperfocal distance setting on any 21mm makes this much easier than using as example a 90mm, but I'm almost there with my 24 ASPH, and over 90% of the time with my 35 'Cron. Not having to use the viewfinder saves more than enough time also to bracket focus, which raises the average to almost always get at least one frame right on. There is not a trick to this either, nor am I any kind of superman. Anyone can do it, it just takes a whole lot of time and paying attention to each result. I did it, and continue to do it, since I am usually interacting with my subjects, and do not want to disturb that flow.

I tried very hard to do that with my Canons before, and with my DMR, but while the DMR was better for me at it, neither really freed me from the "automatics" to get myself to the automatic level of skill. Since I got my first M8, that is the only 35mm system I have really shot. Just too dang confusing trying to switch systems. One of the reasons I still shoot my Contax 645 system for MF also, I've owned it so long that it also is for all intents and purposes instinctive. I want my camera to get out of my way, and let me make all the decisions, without having to put much thought into "running" my camera. I fancy myself an artist, a photographer, not a technical camera jockey.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is a great discussion. I find that I am challenged by whatever lenses I carry with me at the time. Sometimes I carry every focal length from 16mm to 90mm (except 24mm) and change lenses frequently for whatever look I am after. Other times I want to challenge myself and go out with only one lens. If had to choose only one lens for my M8, then it would be the 28mm Cron or 35mm Cron. Although, sometimes I feel the urge to go out with only a long lens such as 75mm or 90mm. I guess what I am trying to say is that there is no right or wrong answer. Have fun with what you have.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All,

Wow, this is an excellent thread so thanks for moving this over here.

I have had my M8 for 14 months now and prior to that I had never used prime lenses. I bought the ASPH 35 & 75 summicrons and a CV15. If it were not for the remarkable performance of the 75 I would happily live with the 35 alone. I use it 95 percent of the time I think. Using a rangefinder and getting to see with the 50ish field of view has really allowed me to know what I will I get before I lift the camera to take a photograph.

I have found using the M8 such a rewarding way of taking photographs that a lot of younger photographers (in age and experience) like myself do not get to experience. It has forced me to really understand what works and how it works. It would be great for a cheaper system to become available to open this up to others.