The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9

dseelig

So I am in New Orleans and one of m9's jsut stopped working no image being recorded other then swapping batteries changing cards turning off and on anything else to try?

jonoslack

I'm sorry - bummer - leave it off without a battery for a couple of hours.
. . . . or give it a slap! (my grandfather used to do that with his car, and it usually seemed to work).

Good Luck

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I would shine a light in the battery compartment and see if the contacts are clean . Lack of juice (electrical power) is the primary reason if the camera will not turn on . I would also carefully work the on and off switch a little to be sure contact is being made .

The long shot is that you have a bad battery charger and non of your batteries have a charge . This is very possible if you have say just 2 batteries . All it would take is not charging your backup and then running down the battery in the camera .

Real shame sorry to hear your M9 is down.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Does the menu work ? Will it reformat a card ? What does the camera show for battery and card when you use the info button.

When the M loses electrical power its often does not complete writing to the card . This corrupts the card and makes it unusable until it is reformatted.

Often you have to go to your MacBook and use disc utility to reformat the card ..then reformat again in the camera .

This stuff was common with the DMR and I found that once I had full power (which was often a dirty contact) the camera would write to the file . Does the camera show a full battery and what does it say about the card. If the battery shows full I bet the card is corrupted (which may have been caused by the battery in the first place).

Sorry you have limited options but I cleared many of these on my DMR . You are aware of the numerous reports of incompatible cards primarily from Sandisk? The slower Ultra s have proven to be reliable and cheap .

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
One last thing to check before you ship it off for service. Make sure the write protect switch isn't set ON with you SD card. Other than that, the others have covered about everything I can think of as well.

dseelig

Well thanks God I sold my mate and 1ds mk111 so I could have two bodies. Thanks for trying to help everyone. Now both my bodies have had to go in for work.I had a cracked sensor and dissapering files on my ohter body.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Sorry it didn t work out . I work with two bodies so that I can have a 28 on one and a 50 on the other . So I have a 3rd body as backup. Been lucky ..have had lots of service issues but have not been knocked out during a trip .

Hausen

Mine did the same and it was the SD card. I bought the top of the line Sandisk card and I had to go back to the basic 8gb Sandisk to get it to boot. My M9 is on the way back to Solms now because I started to have real problems with the Electronics, freezing regularly and wiping the card. No a happy camper at all at present.

Hausen

Got a call last night from the NZ agent for Leica and they after long conversations with Leica are giving me back my M9 to try today with a card that Leica have said will work with no problems. They also have said they have been able to recover photos I have lost from the Sandisk card that was in my M9. The directive from Leica was don't use Sandisk or Lexar cards until a firmware update comes out in next couple of weeks.

francishmt

Got a call last night from the NZ agent for Leica and they after long conversations with Leica are giving me back my M9 to try today with a card that Leica have said will work with no problems. They also have said they have been able to recover photos I have lost from the Sandisk card that was in my M9. The directive from Leica was don't use Sandisk or Lexar cards until a firmware update comes out in next couple of weeks.
Really? Next couple of weeks?

Hausen

That is what they said. Not sure Leica ever move that fast but that is what they said. Hopefully get M9 this morning.

Paratom

I heard that it could help to format the card in a non-Leica digicam, and then format in the M9, then it should (or might?) work. Of course this doesnt help you when you have lost images allready.

thrice

I had that problem in NZ as well when it got cold a few times. Card needed to be low-level formatted, that's all.