Site Sponsors

Thread: DMR Setup - Question regarding Focus Screen Swap

Post Thanks / Like

DMR Setup - Question regarding Focus Screen Swap

OK Folks, need some help from the DMR experts here:

My kit is coming together, have now DMR and R9;
    looks and feels great.
    First lens (60mm macro) should arrive on Wed.

I need to do the focus screen swap; the manual and pictures in there are not totally clear. Questions:

a) Manual says you should pull down the installed focus screen with the supplied tweezers; from what I can see, a focus screen has 2 plastic tabs on the front edge, inside the camera there is also a rectangular metal frame (with a cutout; probably what the manual calls the "latch"); which part of the existing setup am I supposed to grab with the tweezers to pull it down? I gues sthe rectangular metal frame in the middle of the unit -?

b) Looks like you grab the larger tab of the focusing screen (the right one when it is inside the camera) to handle it with the tweezers -?

c) Besides not touching, scratching focus sreens and mirror, anything else to watch for?

Thank You!
    Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: DMR Setup - Question regarding Focus Screen Swap

Peter:

The frame and screen will fall down when you unlatch it using the tip of the supplied tool. You then take the screen out of the frame by using the tool on the larger tab.

When you put the new screen in, make sure it is in the frame all the way and then using the tip of the tool, press the frame back into place until you hear or feel the latch click.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robsteve View Post
    Peter:

The frame and screen will fall down when you unlatch it using the tip of the supplied tool. You then take the screen out of the frame by using the tool on the larger tab.

When you put the new screen in, make sure it is in the frame all the way and then using the tip of the tool, press the frame back into place until you hear or feel the latch click.

Robert
    Thanks Robert, that is re-ensuring and helps.
    Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Is a very simple process - only risk is scratching screen. Stick to using the supplied tool only and have a clean cloth, etc handy to put old screen on during swap.

Saw your new post - glad you like the new kit.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter you don't have to go too far with sharpening the DMR. Pretty good right out of the can and also C1 is a damn nice program for it. If anything the DMR is a touch on the warm side but that is why I liked it.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The case for the screen has a slot to put the old screen in vertically while getting the new screen out of the case. I think it is illustrated in the instructions. Saves you from finding a place to put the old screen and keeps it clean.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like

There ya go.

Been awhile since I changed the screen in my now (sniff) gone R8 so can't recall what the screen kit looks like; but the process with a Canon is virtually identical.

That said, the Canon screen kit includes a cardboard landing pad for the old screen that I never trusted to be grit-free.

Post Thanks / Like

Its all working now, thanks, Robert and Guy.

Since digital is so sensitive to the flange-sensor distance, I am surprised that the "clip-on digital back" approach mechanically is accurate enough for sharp focus.

I think distances must be right to 1/100th of a millimeter or so. Amazing that this can work with the DMR, or say the Aptus on a 503cw.

Peter

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psorantin View Post
    Its all working now, thanks, Robert and Guy.

Since digital is so sensitive to the flange-sensor distance, I am surprised that the "clip-on digital back" approach mechanically is accurate enough for sharp focus.

I think distances must be right to 1/100th of a millimeter or so. Amazing that this can work with the DMR, or say the Aptus on a 503cw.

Peter
    I think there were quit some people who had some slight focus issues with DMRs. There are some shims offered (to shim the screen) I think by brightsceen to compensate for this.
    By the way-I still have some DMR equipment (magnifier and some screens). email me if you are interested.
    CHeers, Tom

roberth