The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DMR Setup - Question regarding Focus Screen Swap

Nitnaros

OK Folks, need some help from the DMR experts here:

My kit is coming together, have now DMR and R9;
looks and feels great.
First lens (60mm macro) should arrive on Wed.

I need to do the focus screen swap; the manual and pictures in there are not totally clear. Questions:

a) Manual says you should pull down the installed focus screen with the supplied tweezers; from what I can see, a focus screen has 2 plastic tabs on the front edge, inside the camera there is also a rectangular metal frame (with a cutout; probably what the manual calls the "latch"); which part of the existing setup am I supposed to grab with the tweezers to pull it down? I gues sthe rectangular metal frame in the middle of the unit -?

b) Looks like you grab the larger tab of the focusing screen (the right one when it is inside the camera) to handle it with the tweezers -?

c) Besides not touching, scratching focus sreens and mirror, anything else to watch for?

Thank You!
Peter

robsteve

Subscriber
Peter:

The frame and screen will fall down when you unlatch it using the tip of the supplied tool. You then take the screen out of the frame by using the tool on the larger tab.

When you put the new screen in, make sure it is in the frame all the way and then using the tip of the tool, press the frame back into place until you hear or feel the latch click.

Robert

Nitnaros

Peter:

The frame and screen will fall down when you unlatch it using the tip of the supplied tool. You then take the screen out of the frame by using the tool on the larger tab.

When you put the new screen in, make sure it is in the frame all the way and then using the tip of the tool, press the frame back into place until you hear or feel the latch click.

Robert
Thanks Robert, that is re-ensuring and helps.
Peter

robmac

Is a very simple process - only risk is scratching screen. Stick to using the supplied tool only and have a clean cloth, etc handy to put old screen on during swap.

Saw your new post - glad you like the new kit.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Peter you don't have to go too far with sharpening the DMR. Pretty good right out of the can and also C1 is a damn nice program for it. If anything the DMR is a touch on the warm side but that is why I liked it.

robsteve

Subscriber
The case for the screen has a slot to put the old screen in vertically while getting the new screen out of the case. I think it is illustrated in the instructions. Saves you from finding a place to put the old screen and keeps it clean.

Robert

robmac

There ya go.

Been awhile since I changed the screen in my now (sniff) gone R8 so can't recall what the screen kit looks like; but the process with a Canon is virtually identical.

That said, the Canon screen kit includes a cardboard landing pad for the old screen that I never trusted to be grit-free.

Nitnaros

Its all working now, thanks, Robert and Guy.

Since digital is so sensitive to the flange-sensor distance, I am surprised that the "clip-on digital back" approach mechanically is accurate enough for sharp focus.

I think distances must be right to 1/100th of a millimeter or so. Amazing that this can work with the DMR, or say the Aptus on a 503cw.

Peter

Paratom

Its all working now, thanks, Robert and Guy.

Since digital is so sensitive to the flange-sensor distance, I am surprised that the "clip-on digital back" approach mechanically is accurate enough for sharp focus.

I think distances must be right to 1/100th of a millimeter or so. Amazing that this can work with the DMR, or say the Aptus on a 503cw.

Peter
I think there were quit some people who had some slight focus issues with DMRs. There are some shims offered (to shim the screen) I think by brightsceen to compensate for this.
By the way-I still have some DMR equipment (magnifier and some screens). email me if you are interested.
CHeers, Tom