The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Akademie San Francisco Weekend Experience

d.clin.design

I had the pleasure to attend the recent 3 Day weekend workshop in San Francisco. It was quite an experience. Met a lot of cool people and learn quite a few tips.

I did a detail write-up of my 3 day experience on my blog as well posted some pictures I took during the workshop in flickr.

http://dclindesign.com/2011/09/19/2...francisco-weekend-photography-workshop-day-1/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dclindesign/sets/72157627586191869/

I encourage anyone that has a chance to attend at any of the locations, you should. It's very worthwhile!!

I'm looking forward to the new event schedule and attending the next event!!

-Dave

parrish

Dave,

Very nice, thanks so much. I am from SF Bay Area, living in Sacramento right now. I will visit Fireside Camera in SF. I am like you, I knew about Keeble and Shuchat and Camera West, but not them. Thanks again.

John

d.clin.design

Glad the article help provided some insights for those that are interested in the Akademie. From talking with both Tom, there will be more exciting Leica Akademie events that will get announce soon!

tele_player

Dave - I wish I'd been there. I'm in the Bay Area, and I've been intending to sign up for one of these weekends... maybe next time.

Question: were you shooting RAW, or just using JPEG from the camera?

-robert

d.clin.design

I typically just shoot raw. But a tip I got from the instructors was to shoot raw with the jpeg basic as preview. This way you can see some of the picture on the LCD as BW rather than wait until post to convert them. The whole set was done with DNG + JPG Basic setting.

d.clin.design

Yes. But it is a pain deleting all the B&W jpegs after importing.
You can sort for just jpeg after you flag and edit the pictures you want. Then select all to delete. I think it's not a bad extra step to see the picture in black and white while you're shooting. It at least gives you a way to reshoot the shot in bw while the shot is still available.

parrish

Dave,

I went out to see Fireside Camera in SF. Nice store, thanks for the heads up! it is located in an very nice neighborhood shopping area just off Lombard Street. And, an Apple store just moved in right next door, which can't be bad for their business. I was not able to meet Tyler Gee, the Leica rep you met, but the other guys were very helpful. It was great for me because they carry both Leica and Sony, my favorite brands. Plus, I forgot how helpful it is to handle the equipment, versus reading about it on the internet.

John

d.clin.design

John,
Glad you got a chance to stop by there. I was actually just over there on Saturday to pick up my lens.

It's always good to have other local Leica resources!!

Dave