The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Skink pinhole system

gero

I had this pinhole & hadn't had a chance to use. I tried it from this thread with the m9 & here are some pictures:

J

JohnW

I tried the Leica Goodies pinhole but could not get a decent picture from it. Too much flare and also very cheaply made.

This is from the Skink, which is extremely well made and works great. I don't have the hand-holdable version, but I sometimes hand hold anyway.

John

gero

It is nice on the m9 because it was easier to handhold than I thought. Also, the instant feedback on the screen helps allot. I would really like a square format specially for a pinhole though.

John, I like your site and the square format goes well with your photography. It is almost as if some pictures were not and the rest of the white was outside.

Godfrey

It is nice on the m9 because it was easier to handhold than I thought. Also, the instant feedback on the screen helps allot. I would really like a square format specially for a pinhole though. ...
re: square format ...

Just crop to a standard square and visualize for that when shooting. It's pretty easy to do, you don't have to use the whole sensor format. You're inspiring me to fit the Skink to the GXR-M today ... :)

J

JohnW

Thanks Godfrey and gero. This thread makes me want to shoot with the Skink more.

I shoot mostly square with the M9. I mainly use a 50mm (Voigtlander 1.5). For framing, the top and bottom of the 50 framelines and the sides of the 75mm framelines form a pretty accurate square.

John

gero

I never tried to shoot square with the m9. It is more that I usually like to shoot as wide as possible with the lens that I have but I'll try it, thank you.

Double Negative

Not Available
Interesting stuff, certainly from a curiosity/historical standpoint. But honestly, I don't see myself getting nor using a pinhole lens... Good for really abstract, moody landscapes and still life shots perhaps but I guess just not my bag. Those Lens Baby gizmos are kinda lost on me too.

Maybe I'm just holding out for a real tilt-n-shift lens or LF camera. :p

J

JohnW

A few years ago I decided to standardize on square and B&W, at least for my urban and natural landscape shooting. For people I shoot 2:3. Although I very much like portraits in the square format.

Double Negative, I hear you on the pinhole effects. But I'm a Pictorialist at heart. All this emphasis on sharpness and detail gets to me. Born in the wrong era, I guess.

John

Godfrey

A few years ago I decided to standardize on square and B&W, at least for my urban and natural landscape shooting. For people I shoot 2:3. Although I very much like portraits in the square format.

Double Negative, I hear you on the pinhole effects. But I'm a Pictorialist at heart. All this emphasis on sharpness and detail gets to me. Born in the wrong era, I guess.
I tend to shoot in a variety of aesthetic ideas until a series gels into a solid concept. Then I focus what I'm doing to suit the needs of the project for exhibition and presentation.

What I'm always looking for is expression in my photos, expression which begs feeling and story. Sometimes detail, sharpness, bold color are the way there. Other times, it's softness, simplicity. Other times complexity and monochrome, etc.

Any specific aesthetic too far off the normal runs the risk of becoming trite through over-use, so just like using a LensBaby, you have to work hard to build a project with a pinhole camera, a LensBaby, fish-eye, or any other extreme lest it become trite and overdone.

250swb

Well I gave in and ordered a Skink Pro kit and it has just arrived! Not used it yet but first sight is that its a very nicely made bit of kit.

One word for anybody ordering one to use on an M9. Many people find their lenses mount smoother on a film M than a M8 or M9, mine do. So when I got the Skink I tried to fit it to the M9 and no joy, but although tight it did fit on my MP. The adapter was the problem. There was a slight machining burr running between each of the bayonet flanges, like a fine sharp edge. It doesn't mean it will be on every adapter (I guess they buy them in), but you can fix it by unscrewing the adapter and use some wet'n'dry between the flanges to remove the burr. Clean it up and you are good to go. Alternatively use another M adapter you know works.

Steve

Godfrey

Good Tip!
I remembered mine was a bit snug so I just checked it .. same thing. I'll deburr it tonight.

thanks!