The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ZM18 - UV/IR Filter Required?

Gary Clennan

Hi all. I just recently picked up a ZM18 to use with my M8. I am at a loss as to whether or not I need to invest in a UV/IR filter for it. I did some research on the net and there doesn't seem to be any concensus. The lens comes with a Milich mount which is properly coded. I will be mainly using the lens for landscape type shots and general walkaround. Some people mention that this filter is required on this lens "in certain types of situations". Problem is that I couldn't find out what these "situations" may be. This filter costs a fair bit so I need to be sure that is is a genuine need and not a nice to have. Also - some say that they get by without the VF. Is this possible? Any advice is much appreciated!

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
If you shoot color you need the uv/ir filter on every lens(for the M8) to avoid IR contamination . Magenta blacks . Generally lenses wider than 50mm benefit from 6 bit coding. If you shoot only black and white you still benefit from the uv/ir filters but some prefer to shoot without the filters for B&W.

You also need an external finder if you don t want to guess. Depends on what you shoot.

ShiroKuro

Gary ,
I use the 18 on my M8 almost exclusively without the external finder and feel that I am doing much better than just guessing.... you adapt very quickly .... I like using external view finders so I will eventually get one ... Probably a 21 so that I can also use it with 21 SA on the M4 ..

Braeside

I did use a 58mm B+W 486 UV/IR CUT filter on mine with the M8. Coded as Tri-Elmar 18mm. If you had asked yesterday I could have sold you it, but it is gone to another home today. In general I found I wanted an IR filter on all of my M8 lenses.

GarethC

Gary, hope the lens is working well for you. Drop me a note if you want that lens's little brother, ie the filter.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Gary ,
I use the 18 on my M8 almost exclusively without the external finder and feel that I am doing much better than just guessing.... you adapt very quickly .... I like using external view finders so I will eventually get one ... Probably a 21 so that I can also use it with 21 SA on the M4 ..

Some users can become very good at estimating where the edges might be ..but you can t see the edges of an 18mm on a m8 when you are looking thru the camera finder . One of the advantages of a CRF system is seeing outside the edges and you can do this with an external finder .

Shooting on the street I often shoot low at the level of my feet or above my head just to change the viewing angle .... but there are times when I have to really get the edges of the frame as perfect as I can and for this I use the external finder.

Obviously it always depends on what and how you shoot .

jamesk8752

Hi all. I just recently picked up a ZM18 to use with my M8. I am at a loss as to whether or not I need to invest in a UV/IR filter for it. (snip)
In addition to magenta-tinged blacks, you will find that foliage colors are definitely improved by using a UV/IR filter on your M8. The difference is dramatic!

jamesk8752

Hi all. I just recently picked up a ZM18 to use with my M8. I am at a loss as to whether or not I need to invest in a UV/IR filter for it. (snip)
In addition to magenta-tinged blacks, you will find that foliage colors are definitely improved by using a UV/IR filter on your M8. The difference is dramatic!

Regards, Jim

Double Negative

Not Available
M8 = UV/IR. Simple as that.

It need not be a Leica UV/IR (and in fact, I don't think Leica makes one in that size anyway). Get yourself a B+W or Heliopan "486" filter.

It's important to code the lens as well (on lenses <35mm) so you don't end up with "cyan corners."

Gary Clennan

Thanks for the tips! My ZM35C has worked great with no filter but I have yet to put the ZM18 through it's paces. I did end up buying a filter for it and will test it out.