The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with M Lenses on anything other then a Leica

m_driscoll

Not M, but LTM:
Summitar

Summitar Bokeh von oliverleschke auf Flickr
Summaron 35mm f2.8 LTM (M2-Version)
Both on Olympus Pen E-P1
Ollil: Excellent. Terrific bokeh from this lens. :salute:

Here's one from Hawaii... 50'cron DR on NEX5, Toy Mode, OOC jpeg
Hosermage: Nice IQ and silhouette. :thumbup: I haven't tried any of those settings.

Eastlake P-Patch ~ Seattle, WA
GF1 with Ernst Leitz GmbH Wetzlar - Elmar 9cm f/4 -- ISO 100 -- f/4 -- 1/800 -- 9cm
Daisies

GF1 with Ernst Leitz GmbH Wetzlar - Elmar 9cm f4 with Extension Tube -- ISO 100 -- f4 -- 1/125
Dan: The rendering of this combination is brilliant!

1935 Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F1.5, converted to LTM using J-3 mount, LTM-M adapter, M-mount to u43, On the Olympus EP2. Wide-Open.
At F4:
Nikkor 5cm F1.4 LTM, on the EP2. Makes use of 18" close-focus.

At F4:
Brian: Really superb!

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

ashwinrao1

1. Sony NEX 5N; Leica 50mm f/1.4; 1/1250s @ f/1.4; ISO 100

2. Sony NEX 5N; Leica 50mm f/1.4; 1/80s @ f/1.4; ISO 100

3. Sony NEX 5N; Leica 50mm f/1.4; 1/60s @ f/1.4; ISO 125

4. Sony NEX 5N; Leica 50mm f/1.4; 1/640s @ f/1.4; -3 EV (?); ISO 100

5. Sony NEX 5N; Leica 50mm f/1.4; 1/1600s @ f/1.4; -3 EV (?); ISO 100

Cheers, Matt

Fantastic, Matt. Glad you hear that the GXR is on its way. I may have to do the same with the NEX 7, but may wait for opinions of others such as yours. For me, the GXR is quite satisfying!

retow

With which of these settings does the rendering/character of the m-mount lenses come through best is what matters most to me. I tried G1, EP2 and Nex5 in the past and was not overly impressed. Based on the web samples seen so far, the GXR M module does the best job in letting the lenses shine, thanks to lack of AA filter and microlenses. The NEX5N looks quite nice, but the files have a digital look to them, just another digital camera with excellent sensor. I seriously doubt the NEX7 is going to be the new champ as an alternative m-mount lens lightbox.

m_driscoll

A few more from today and this evening. Thanks for looking.

1. Sony NEX 5N; Leica 50mm f/.95; 1/500s @ f/.95; ISO 100

2. Sony NEX 5N; Leica 50mm f/.95; 1/80s @ f/.95; ISO 100

3. Sony NEX 5N; Leica 50mm f/.95; 1/320s @ f/.95; ISO 100

4. Sony NEX 5N; Leica 50mm f/.95; 1/180s @ f/.95; ISO 3200

5. Sony NEX 5N; Leica 50mm f/.95; 1/180s @ f/.95; ISO 3200

6. Sony NEX 5N; Leica 50mm f/.95; 1/80s @ f/.95; ISO 800

7. Sony NEX 5N; Leica 50mm f/.95; 1/80s @ f/.95; ISO 3200

Cheers, Matt

Last edited:

m_driscoll

Fantastic, Matt. Glad you hear that the GXR is on its way. I may have to do the same with the NEX 7, but may wait for opinions of others such as yours. For me, the GXR is quite satisfying!
Ashwin: Thanks! :D

Still have a few lenses to run through the 5N. I tried the 75mm and 35mm Summarits, along with a 21mm Elmarit, at Glazers today. I liked the results. The size of the Summarits is very appealing (if you could actually buy one anywhere, but HK!).

Does the GXR recognize the Leica 6 bit coding and hows the low-light performance?

Retow: I understand what you're saying, but, i think i haven't seen enough photos to make a judgement like that. Everybody processes their images differently. I've seen some pretty nice photos posted in the Sony :eek: forum.

Maybe Ashwin and I should trade 4 - 5 raw files and each process them. I'm, of course buying a GXR when i get a chance. But, the built-in EVF on the NEX 7 is going to be a big plus for me.

Cheers, Matt

seakayaker

Matt, you have some great shots with the Nex5. Numbers 4 & 6 are my favorites, I love the B&W conversion in number 4 with the soft look, contrast & light. Number 6 lighting and reflections and nailing the focus on the white plates with the soft bokeh moving to the rear and to the right. Very pleasing to my eye, nice capture!

. . . . . and your photographs from the Market place with the 50 Lux, numbers 2 & 5 are my favorites. Once again the B&W conversion works well with the three men in the restraunt (jmho) and the fruit girl in the stand just pops out, great color, vibrant colors of clothing & fruit to soft colors of her tatoo and the sharp details, the peach looks succulent!

Ash, your B&W portrait captures with the GXR look like it was shot with a film camera. Love the differences in grain in the three shots.

Brian, beautiful shots of your daughter!

Hosermage, Nice silhouette, a lovely capture!

OlliL, great DOF & Bokeh in the shot of the pear in the road, I really like it! Also a wonderful portrait taken with the Summaron 35mm f2.8 LTM! Lovely color and detail with the lens.

. . . . . anyway a few more from the vault taken with the GF1.

GF1 with Leica - Ernst Leitz Wetzlar - Hector 135mm f/4.5 with Leica Thread Extension Tube -- ISO 100 -- f/4.5 -- 1/160 -- 135mm

GF1 with Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.5 ASPH - ISO 200 - f/1.5 - 1/125

GF1 with Voigtlander Nokton Aspherical 50mm f1.5 -- ISO 100 -- f4 -- 1/4000

rsolti13

I actually have gone off the deep end and sold my M9 after getting the NEX-5N :). I have two film M's that have been of primary use lately, but the NEX-5N is a pretty amazing cam....

All with the new 35 Nokton II

D&A

I am amazed at all the great looking images posted in this thread, illustrating how capable these cameras are with M mount lenses. Too many to comment on specifically but the "look" varies considerably and its hard to determine where the influence of the camera itself "ends" and the post processing picks-up? I think it was Matt who suggested that he and Ashwin trade a few RAW files from each respective camera and repost the same images. Such comparisions (reposted side by side) would certainly be interesting. For myself, retaining some of the well known character of a particular lens being used with one of these bodies is certainly a big plus.

Neverless, this thread has been a eye opener for someone who hasn't yet taken the plunge into one of these bodies (for me it will be an alternative style of back-up to the M9) and I think so far I've narrowed it down to the Ricoh with the M module or the NEX 7. (funds will only permit one). Thanks to everyone taking time to post along with their extremely informative comments.

Dave (D&A)

m_driscoll

Matt, you have some great shots with the Nex5. Numbers 4 & 6 are my favorites, I love the B&W conversion in number 4 with the soft look, contrast & light. Number 6 lighting and reflections and nailing the focus on the white plates with the soft bokeh moving to the rear and to the right. Very pleasing to my eye, nice capture!

. . . . . and your photographs from the Market place with the 50 Lux, numbers 2 & 5 are my favorites. Once again the B&W conversion works well with the three men in the restraunt (jmho) and the fruit girl in the stand just pops out, great color, vibrant colors of clothing & fruit to soft colors of her tatoo and the sharp details, the peach looks succulent!...
. . . . . anyway a few more from the vault taken with the GF1.

GF1 with Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.5 ASPH - ISO 200 - f/1.5 - 1/125
Dan: Thanks for your kind comments. :D I'm having fun with this camera...and it hasn't involved (so far) any extra expenditure for a new lens system!

Nice work with the GF1. I've had a G1, GH1, and a GF1. None of them now. I esp. like the smile and IQ in this portrait. :thumb up:

Cheers, Matt