The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Liberated by the M9...

Landscape photography is my primary passion and my main tool for this type of shooting has been my Nikon D700 FF DSLR and assorted pro-level glass. I also have a m4/3 setup with a good variety of native lenses that I use as a backup or for not-so demanding situations.

Given the weight and bulk of the Nikon setup, I've been toying around with the notion of giving it all up and just using m4/3s but couldn't bring myself to give up the DR and noise performance of the FF setup. I will also preface this by saying that I am very demanding in terms of IQ in my photos - to the point where I was ready to have the AA filter on my D700 removed as I found the output of this camera to be bit mushy in landscape use (e.g. leaf detail) and I like to shoot compositions that look best printed large.

I did get a Pany G3 to replace my G1 and it closes some of the IQ gap but still not comparable in terms of DR and noise to the D700.

This internal dialog intensified recently as I was planning a trip to Zion and Bryce and given the amount of hiking I wanted to do, was not looking forward to carrying all the FF gear :(

The internal debate heated up and I must have made up my mind each way three different times when a sudden flare up of some back and hip issues forced my hand and pretty much forced me to leave the heavy gear at home.

Enter the M9 and Leica glass - I've been slowly accumulating this setup and had a nice collection of primes which suited my landscape needs well so I packed this up as my main setup with m4/3 as backup. I've always lusted after Leica gear but never associated Leica with landscape work so I wasn't sure what to expect in the field.

My Leica kit consisted of an M9 + 35mm cron, 50mm lux, 90mm elmarit, and Zeiss 25mm f2.8 Biogon. This all fit nicely in a an A&A ACAM7100 messenger bag with assorted ND filters, spare battery, and nicknacks.

This kit was highly portable and I had no difficulty taking it with me everywhere - even on the more challenging vertical hikes.

I know several folks have gone through the same process - either migrating to m4/3 exclusively or Leica gear, but it was a revelation for me in terms of the IQ I was able to achieve with such a compact setup. The M9 plus aforementioned lenses easily out-resolve my D700. And while the ISO noise performance of the M9 is not as good, that is one area where I am most willing to compromise as I usually use a tripod for my critical landscape work and can live with longer exposure times.

I truly feel liberated and can now let go of my D700 without feeling like I was giving something up. In fact, I can safely say that I was able to take shots with the M9 setup that I would not have taken with the D700 as I would not have brought it (or the appropriate lens) along on some of the hikes. Also, working exclusively with primes and an RF camera, I find my framing and compositions are more well thought out and I've become more selective in what I shoot. In fact, I've noticed that I am cropping much less with my M9 photos than I was with my D700 and zooms - which seems counterintuitive, but there it is...

I offer this experience to others who may be in a similar situation and are on the fence with switching over - and also for others who have gone through a similar process to share their experiences.

A sampling of photos to share from my trip taken with the M9:

Sunrise behind the Paria Plateau:

Bryce at sunrise:

Bryce - contrast of colors:

Bryce - sand dunes:

Bryce - Castle in the Sand:

Zion - Lone Tree:

Zion - Curves:

Zion - Flowers and Rock:

Road to Zion:

seakayaker

Joe, love the story about the journey!

. . . . . I moved to Leica after loving the experience of using the small GF1 . . . . . The rangefinder was a perfect fit for where I wanted to go with my photography!

Great photographs as well!

David K

Workshop Member
I think these images speak volumes about the wisdom of your decision. Unless you have a need for more resolution the Leica M9 and the lenses you have can provide world class images.

jtwloh

Thanks Joe for sharing the beautiful photos and more so your personal experience and journey which might help others who are in a similar conundrum.

I myself have been a recent convert from DSLR to RF systems. And I can appreciate your experience. I may not have taken as many shots now compared to using a DSLR, however, I do find that I have more keepers now while using the RF.

This may sound like a cliche, but I find the result and shooting experience amazing. I am more careful with the framing now as I am only using primes, as compared to zoom lenses previously.

This is not to beat up DSLR, it has served its purpose in the past. But I believe shooting RF does contribute to a different shooting thought process.

I hope I am able to share some of my own shots soon. Not the nicest, but I feel this is a good forum to share experiences and learn positively.

jeffnesh

I'm with you, Joe.

I made the same leap a couple months ago. Used to schlep (or leave behind) a Sony 850 and a truck load of heavy lenses when traveling. I also dabbled in m4/3s for convenience and, while nice, wasn't satisfied with image quality.

I've since moved to an M9, 50 cron, and Zeiss 28. A 90 is next on the list and it has completely reinvigorated my shooting, both around town and traveling, hiking, etc.

In addition to straight up image quality, there's also something special the lenses bring that I haven't seen since film, so I like that. And more than anything, I am enjoying the back-to-the-basics manual, thoughtful, mechanical process. It's unfortunate (as I try to get my son involved in photography) that the only real digital option equivalent to my manual/50mm film experience in the early 80s that made me love photography is with a near-$10k kit!

Anyway, your Bryce work is stunning and inspiring! Keep it up!

A recent shot I took on a weekend trip where I would have left behind my big FF DSLR due to time and energy constraints:

-Jeff

dude163

Nyce Bryce shots :) and story too.

I also find the RF + manual lenses quite liberating. I started off with vintage Japanese and german glass on my Rebel XT and Pentax KX, next thing you know I own a M8u and a cron 50 , enter the elmar 90/4 and the stunning 135/2.8 Elmarit ( made here in Kanada you know :p)

I need a wide angle for nature work also, are the Zeiss lenses comparable to the leica glass?

Nyce Bryce shots :) and story too.

I also find the RF + manual lenses quite liberating. I started off with vintage Japanese and german glass on my Rebel XT and Pentax KX, next thing you know I own a M8u and a cron 50 , enter the elmar 90/4 and the stunning 135/2.8 Elmarit ( made here in Kanada you know :p)

I need a wide angle for nature work also, are the Zeiss lenses comparable to the leica glass?
Hey Dude - I can't say enough about the Zeiss 25mm f2.8 Biogon - very, very sharp across the frame and great color and contrast.

The Leica equivalent is marginally better based on what I've read (though I haven't used one) but at > 3x the price, the Zeiss is an outstanding value imo.

I picked up a like-new copy for $850 - best $850 I ever spent ;-)

Here's a sample taken with this lens - only levels, nr, and sharpening applied.

Thanks for the comments.

Cheers,

I'm with you, Joe.

I made the same leap a couple months ago. Used to schlep (or leave behind) a Sony 850 and a truck load of heavy lenses when traveling. I also dabbled in m4/3s for convenience and, while nice, wasn't satisfied with image quality.

I've since moved to an M9, 50 cron, and Zeiss 28. A 90 is next on the list and it has completely reinvigorated my shooting, both around town and traveling, hiking, etc.

In addition to straight up image quality, there's also something special the lenses bring that I haven't seen since film, so I like that. And more than anything, I am enjoying the back-to-the-basics manual, thoughtful, mechanical process. It's unfortunate (as I try to get my son involved in photography) that the only real digital option equivalent to my manual/50mm film experience in the early 80s that made me love photography is with a near-$10k kit!

Anyway, your Bryce work is stunning and inspiring! Keep it up!

A recent shot I took on a weekend trip where I would have left behind my big FF DSLR due to time and energy constraints:

-Jeff
Jeff - thanks for the kind words and thanks for sharing your photo - a great example of what can be done with a highly portable system like the M series cameras.

Cheers,

Cheers,

Double Negative

Not Available
Fantastic! Lovely shots.

I haven't been out that way in a loooong time - dying to get back. Armed with an M9 this time. Awesome to see what it can do. :)

As for the 2,8/25 - it doesn't get any better than this. Extremely high resolution. Sharpest lens I've ever shot (and I've got a bag of ZMs and Canon Ls alike). On the M8 it was my favorite lens; on the M9 not as much so but only because of focal length.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
I think these images speak volumes about the wisdom of your decision. Unless you have a need for more resolution the Leica M9 and the lenses you have can provide world class images.
David and I are close friends, and fellow lovers of everything photographic. We're also both reformed gear hounds, mostly due to financial constraints rather than desire. We've both been through more gear than even a died-in-the-wool gear hound has a right to be. We've also both crossed the 60 year old plateau... and while still able to carry anything we want, have perhaps picked up some better wisdom from the years of doing just that.

I'll ask David to amplify on his comments above, but also to ask him if he doesn't agree with the statements I am about to make. Call them confessions from an older guy who has plenty yet to learn ....

I made a very tough decision just a couple of years ago myself. I gave up MF all together, traded my Contax 645 kit along with my Aptus 75S. I loved the quality. I couldn't live with the weight and lack of use because of it.

I upgraded my M8 I had shot for several years to a new M9, and four new prime Leica lenses to go with it in the trade. Four in addition to a reasonable collection I already owned and shot daily. That was one of the hardest photographic related decisions of my life. David I'm sure can attest to that, as he participated at a distance providing telephone moral support. While still happily shooting away on his own MF system, I mite add :)

I've got to say, that was probably as large a turning point in my photography career since the day I bought my first digital back. I'll be the first to admit I do greatly miss MF for studio work, and am considering once again getting back in for that purpose. But I am in no rush, as the M9 just sort of fits me like a glove. David tells me the M9, more than any other camera, was just made for me. I think he's right.

I've not found a single thing yet that I couldn't shoot with my M. I'm not saying that it is the best choice for everything. What I am saying is that it is more than capable of capturing a fantastic image of anything I've tried to do, even things far afield from it's considered "normal" use by most other owners.

I've shot what I consider to be great landscapes, incredible people, architecture, and food with my M's. I'm just now making up some macro tubes to give that a go and see what my M9 can do in that realm. I'm regularly shooting VideoGraphs now with my M9 - still images with moving elements. Everything I want to push the edges on as an artist, so far the M system has been up to - even my admitted extremes.

Joe, I guess I would have to say you reinforce my own beliefs. Many thanks for posting your work, and sharing your story. It isn't about a Brand, it's about the photographers eye, a competent, precise electronic capture device, and the glass mounted on the front of it that counts. It doesn't have to weigh 80 lbs like my old Sinar 4x5 did in it's day, to get great quality landscapes. Today you can get amazing quality from a very small package, and save your body stress for more productive adventures.

Joe, I look forward to seeing more of your work. And hey, if you ever want company on a trip up to Yosemite to do some M landscapes, let me know. We don't live that far from each other, and I would love to do it!

It isn't about a Brand, it's about the photographers eye, a competent, precise electronic capture device, and the glass mounted on the front of it that counts.
Chuck - what a great response - thanks so much for sharing your own experiences. This statement in particular sums it up for me - I've never been a brand fanatic and frankly don't understand why folks get so attached to a particular brand. A camera is a tool - a means to an end - either it serves that purpose and your needs or it doesn't. And what one person requires out of their equipment might be very different than what someone else might require - you can't judge a camera in the absence of its application imo.

Funny thing too is I have been thinking about MF myself - specifically picking up a Contax 645 system so your comments are very timely and apropos. The weight and bulk issue is the thing holding me back from getting it and your further validation of the M9 in a variety of applications is very useful.

I too find the M9 fits me very well and have decided to keep working with it before deciding on MF as I feel I've just barely tapped this wonderful photographic device. It's so easy these days to hop onto some new gear when you feel unhappy or stuck in your work, when in fact, you really haven't fully exploited the capabilities of the gear you already own.

With the M9 I feel there is much more photographic potential to tap into that I'm in no hurry to add more gear - quite the opposite as I will be putting up my Nikon gear for sale shortly :)

I go up to Yosemite every year so would love to hook up with you if you are thinking of going - keep in touch!

Cheers,

Thanks Joe for sharing the beautiful photos and more so your personal experience and journey which might help others who are in a similar conundrum.

I myself have been a recent convert from DSLR to RF systems. And I can appreciate your experience. I may not have taken as many shots now compared to using a DSLR, however, I do find that I have more keepers now while using the RF.

This may sound like a cliche, but I find the result and shooting experience amazing. I am more careful with the framing now as I am only using primes, as compared to zoom lenses previously.

This is not to beat up DSLR, it has served its purpose in the past. But I believe shooting RF does contribute to a different shooting thought process.

I hope I am able to share some of my own shots soon. Not the nicest, but I feel this is a good forum to share experiences and learn positively.
Thanks for your comments - please do share some photos!

Cheers,

Fantastic! Lovely shots.

I haven't been out that way in a loooong time - dying to get back. Armed with an M9 this time. Awesome to see what it can do. :)

As for the 2,8/25 - it doesn't get any better than this. Extremely high resolution. Sharpest lens I've ever shot (and I've got a bag of ZMs and Canon Ls alike). On the M8 it was my favorite lens; on the M9 not as much so but only because of focal length.
Thanks for the kind words - the Zeiss is awesome :thumbs:

ashwinrao1

Joe, what a fantastic series!!!! you have really captured the spirit and the essence of the place. I am finding the itch to go back and edit a few of my pics from Bryce and Zion from this spring....

Terry

I'm glad it is working out. You do sound so happy and in the end isn't that what is all about?

ashwinrao1

Joe, you have inspired me to go back and re-visit a few of my own, some taken with the very lens that is now yours ;)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6166/6196784591_8bc3bee59e_b.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6129/6197299954_08168edca7_b.jpg