Site Sponsors

Thread: M7 VF options 0.72 vs. 0.85?

Post Thanks / Like

M7 VF options 0.72 vs. 0.85?

Looking for some guidance here on the VF options with an M7 - what are the tradeoffs? My first inclination would be to go for max magnification (0.85) and go with the 0.85 but I assume there are some tradeoffs otherwise Leica would only have made one version...

TIA,

Joe
    -- Joe

http://mountainjoe.zenfolio.com/ - excuse the mess

Post Thanks / Like

Re: M7 VF options 0.72 vs. 0.85?

With the x0.85 one gets a longer Effective Rangefinder Length which provides for more accurate rangefinder operation and you can expect sharper images.

The downside is that the 35mm is the widest angle you can see through the in-built viewfinder. Matters nothing to me as my next wide lens is a 24 Elamarit which doesn't have a frame in the 0.72 VF.

The only reason I can see anybody wanting anything other than the x0.85 is for spectacle wear and a body dedicated to wide angle use (sub 30mm).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
    With the x0.85 one gets a longer Effective Rangefinder Length which provides for more accurate rangefinder operation and you can expect sharper images.

The downside is that the 35mm is the widest angle you can see through the in-built viewfinder. Matters nothing to me as my next wide lens is a 24 Elamarit which doesn't have a frame in the 0.72 VF.

The only reason I can see anybody wanting anything other than the x0.85 is for spectacle wear and a body dedicated to wide angle use (sub 30mm).
    Rolo - thanks for the information. Makes sense to me but was concerned I was missing something as there seems to be many more 0.72 versions out there than 0.85. Maybe it's just that folks hang on to the 0.85 versions...
    -- Joe

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

I never thought I'd like a .85 VF, being that I like my wides... But shooting a 50mm with it, and especially with a 1.15x magnifier... Makes for a killer .98 VF, almost 1:1, which allows shooting with both eyes open - a real treat. Good for fast lenses and telephotos.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The 0.72 is the standard viewfinder when buying the M7. To purchase a 0.58 or 0.85 VF you need to order the M7 'A la Carte at an additional cost of $180.00 extra charge.

So there are more of the 0.72 available used on the marketplace.

. . . . . at least that is my understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
    The 0.72 is the standard viewfinder when buying the M7. To purchase a 0.58 or 0.85 VF you need to order the M7 'A la Carte at an additional cost of $180.00 extra charge.

So there are more of the 0.72 available used on the marketplace.

. . . . . at least that is my understanding.
    Makes sense - thanks Dan.
    -- Joe

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're going A La Carte, you can go so far as to specify which framelines you want to show as well. For example, my own M7 (that I picked up from Bill, who had the work done) has only 35, 50 and 90 framelines. Makes for a very uncluttered view.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Double Negative View Post
    If you're going A La Carte, you can go so far as to specify which framelines you want to show as well. For example, my own M7 (that I picked up from Bill, who had the work done) has only 35, 50 and 90 framelines. Makes for a very uncluttered view.
    Had no idea you could do that - good to know.

Thanks!
    -- Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Film? Now you've jumped off the deep end!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Film? Now you've jumped off the deep end!
    Always loved film ;-)

Given my investment in Leica lenses I've been thinking about getting a film body too - mainly for b&w.

Cheers,
    -- Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry if my post came off wrong....I was just sort of busting your chops. ENJOY!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Sorry if my post came off wrong....I was just sort of busting your chops. ENJOY!
    No worries - I didn't take it wrong Terry ;-)
    -- Joe

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to get the 0.85 but then I never really had any trouble focusing my 75mm and I like the flexibility to be able to mount a wide angle lens on it should the need arise.

Maybe 30 years later I will want the 0.85 (if you will still be able to buy film).

Post Thanks / Like

I never thought I'd like a .85 VF, being that I like my wides... But shooting a 50mm with it, and especially with a 1.15x magnifier... Makes for a killer .98 VF, almost 1:1, which allows shooting with both eyes open - a real treat. Good for fast lenses and telephotos.
    I guess the same thing can be said about a standard .72 VF with a 1.4X magnifier - that makes a 1.008 magnification factor

Post Thanks / Like

If you use 35mm lens and wear glasses, I recommend 0.72x. I wear glasses and found it a bit difficult seeing the 35 framelines on 0.85x. I agree with Hunghang as well.. If I need ~1x, I use the 1.4 magnifier.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Joe, it really depends upon what focal length lenses you intend to use with it. I had both a .72 and a .85 M6TTL. I do wear glasses as well. Wide angle lenses - 35mm and under, the .72 I found to be the right choice. 50mm and longer, the .85 was the better choice, in my opinion. I also had the same experience as Scott, the 35mm frame lines on the .85 body made things difficult. 21mm, 24mm, and 28mm impossible.

All around use, I would suggest considering the .72 and possibly buying an optional 1.4x magnifier as well.

Post Thanks / Like

DAG masked the framelines on your M7. I liked looking through that VFer.

I'm also certain that you don't have to go the ala carte route to get a .85 M7.

BTW, Leica wouldn't mask the framelines on my ala carte M7 I ordered--I wanted 28, 35, 50 only. I got almost all things I wanted though. You ask for it and they'll do it for a price of course.

One last thing I wished I knew about before I order my ala carte M7 was the M6 TTL Millennium frame counter disc. Black paint with white numbers. Apparently, a part still in stock I'm having installed on my M7.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wjlapier View Post
    From the current Specification Sheet for the M7.

"Alternative viewfinder magnifications of 0.85x and 0.58x are available as part
    of the Leica a la carte range.*"

"*For the possible combinations, the bright line frames (pairs) displayed in each case and further details of the equipment options in the Leica a la carte range, please refer to our homepage: www.leica-a-la-carte.com"

Technical Specs can be found here: http://en.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/m7/

If you are not buying the 0.58 or 0.85 VF M7 or MP on the used market then you will pay the additional charge of $180.00 USD if you want something besides the 0.72. on a new M7 or MP.

At least that is my understanding from the document supplied on the Leica AG photography website.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wjlapier View Post
    DAG masked the framelines on your M7. I liked looking through that VFer.

BTW, Leica wouldn't mask the framelines on my ala carte M7 I ordered--I wanted 28, 35, 50 only. I got almost all things I wanted though. You ask for it and they'll do it for a price of course.

One last thing I wished I knew about before I order my ala carte M7 was the M6 TTL Millennium frame counter disc. Black paint with white numbers. Apparently, a part still in stock I'm having installed on my M7.
    Thanks - good to know about the frame counter option.
    -- Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Jones View Post
    Joe, it really depends upon what focal length lenses you intend to use with it. I had both a .72 and a .85 M6TTL. I do wear glasses as well. Wide angle lenses - 35mm and under, the .72 I found to be the right choice. 50mm and longer, the .85 was the better choice, in my opinion. I also had the same experience as Scott, the 35mm frame lines on the .85 body made things difficult. 21mm, 24mm, and 28mm impossible.

All around use, I would suggest considering the .72 and possibly buying an optional 1.4x magnifier as well.
    Thanks Chuck - I've been leaning towards the 0.85 as I had trouble focusing on the M8 and I also would tend to go with 35mm and above for my film work - but maybe the 0.72 with magnifier is another option to investigate.

It's certainly a lot more difficult finding a 0.85 M7 (with MP VF) on the used market...

Cheers,
    -- Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

For price and condition comparisions there is a M7 with the 0.85 viewfinder for sale at RFF.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...8-chrome/cat/3

Do not know nor am affiliated with the seller. Just an FYI . . . . .

Post Thanks / Like

If you use a 35mm regularly or primarily, you should make sure you try out the 0.85x first. My own preference is for a decent amount of space around the frames and the higher magnification VF reduces that too much for my taste (incidentally, I don't wear glasses). The 0.72x VF has been the standard for 40+ years and with good reason - it just works. That said, if you are essentially a 50 shooter, the 0.85x is perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
    For price and condition comparisions there is a M7 with the 0.85 viewfinder for sale at RFF.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...8-chrome/cat/3

Do not know nor am affiliated with the seller. Just an FYI . . . . .
    Thanks Dan - I just happened to find one locally on Craigslist and picked it up today - lovely camera - can't wait to run some film through it!
    -- Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wattsy View Post
    If you use a 35mm regularly or primarily, you should make sure you try out the 0.85x first. My own preference is for a decent amount of space around the frames and the higher magnification VF reduces that too much for my taste (incidentally, I don't wear glasses). The 0.72x VF has been the standard for 40+ years and with good reason - it just works. That said, if you are essentially a 50 shooter, the 0.85x is perfect.
    Ian - thanks for the advice - I tend to 50mm and 90mm so the 0.85 should suit me well. In fact I plan to mate my Zeiss 50mm f1.5 Sonnar to it and may never take it off ;-)
    -- Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainjoe View Post
    Thanks Dan - I just happened to find one locally on Craigslist and picked it up today - lovely camera - can't wait to run some film through it!
    Congratulations Joe on the purchase!

I hope to see you post some photographs over on the Analog 'M' thread in the near future.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainjoe View Post
    In fact I plan to mate my Zeiss 50mm f1.5 Sonnar to it and may never take it off ;-)
    Sounds like a great combination to me.