The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My Pet Peeve for the Day

jklotz

Forgive me, but I have a pet peeve. Where did this "capture" nonsense come from? It's not a "capture", it's a photograph.

There. I said it. I feel better now. Back to the regularly scheduled program. :D

Don Libby

Speaking only for myself - I use the term "capture(d)" a lot when describing my images. To me it brings a better sense of how I feel about the process of capturing landscape images. I feel I capture the feeling of the moment the reason that brought me to the place to begin with. It may be nuts but that's just me...

I very rarely use the term photograph when speaking about one of our prints - I use the term image instead. To me it's a photograph until I print then once it's on the wall being displayed it's an image.

I too believe that photographs are made not taken....

That's just my 2¢

Don

jonoslack

And photographs are made, not taken!

Steve
Interesting Steve - I rather prefer made as well . . . . but it sounds pretty pretentious around here.
Taken is absolutely normal - capture / taken - I guess it makes sense.

These days though I generally snap them (and get snaps as a result).
all the best

stephengilbert

In the trendy photo world, I doubt that "photograph" even comes in second. It appears to me that both "image" and "capture" come before it.

thrice

To be honest I never noticed nor was I sensitive to the terminology whilst 'making' 'photographs' :p
I will be more careful!

Mike M

It's because digital imaging is not photography. They are two separate mediums with increasingly independent terminologies.

Film photography is a mechanical process that produces a physical object. Digital imaging is an electrical process that must be interpreted by software. The difference between digital and film is the difference between acoustic and visual worlds. Digital, like sound, cannot be touched. Does a tree make a noise if it falls in the woods and nobody is there to hear it? There must be an ear present to "capture" the sound. The visual world doesn't need to be seen to be known because it can still be felt and touched. The visual world, like a photograph, has a beginning and ending. The acoustic world, like a digital file, has no center and no boundaries. Any process that lacks boundaries is elusive and must be "captured" or contained.

doug

It's because digital imaging is not photography.
This could be tomorrow's pet peeve ;)

I use photons to make pictures. Sometimes the photons exite electrons in silver halide molecules on flexible film, sometimes they excite electrons in pixel wells on a silicon wafer. Either way I get pictures from photons.

Mike M

This could be tomorrow's pet peeve ;)

I use photons to make pictures. Sometimes the photons exite electrons in silver halide molecules on flexible film, sometimes they excite electrons in pixel wells on a silicon wafer. Either way I get pictures from photons.
Hi Doug, I'll try and explain it another way...

A truck or a bicycle will get a person from his home to the supermarket, but both are still different mediums. People ride bicycles and they drive trucks. The variations in terminology used are the result of the differences between the mediums.

doug

Hi Doug, I'll try and explain it another way...

A truck or a bicycle will get a person from his home to the supermarket, but both are still different mediums. People ride bicycles and they drive trucks. The variations in terminology used are the result of the differences between the mediums.
No sale, sorry.

Mike M

Actually, it is a photochemical process and digital is a photoelectrical process. Both of which can result in physical objects by using mechanical processes.
yes that is understood

Just like a truck or a bicycle can get a person to the store...both are still different mediums.

charlesphoto

I think capture is a term unique to amateurs on photo forums, workshops, etc etc. Never once have I had a client ask for me to send them my "captures." It's photographs, images, or files. Capture sounds too much like you were out hunting something... which in many cases with amateurs is a wild kitten or unruly sunset and just sounds silly.

That said the term "shoot" or "shooting" is endemic to pros. I never really liked it (esp in relation to some of my dead subjects or to children) but it cuts to the quick and most everyone knows what you are talking about.

Brian S

It comes from the days of freezing a frame from a video stream. Probably 1980s still video cameras and computer frame grabbers. Capture the image to memory, as in realtime response required.

Freeze a frame, capture the image.

250swb

Capture, take, shoot,..... in another age long long ago it would have been 'steal, rape and slash' if applied to the hobbies of the time.

Steve