The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where do you go to find those rare, hard-to-find Leica M lenses?

E

edhohoho

Hi,

I am an amateur and newbie to rangefinders but am really enjoying the use of my rangefinder camera and have recently been interested in some lenses that are no longer in production. Specifically, I am looking for the Leica 50/1.4 Summilux-M pre-ASPH E46 and Leica 35/1.4 Summilux-M pre-ASPH in mint condition with original packaging and accessories. I have been trying to find them on the usual places like eBay, rangefinder forums, and some online stores but with no luck.

Do you have any recommendations on other places or people I can try? Is it just a matter of timing? I'd be interested in tips that collectors might have. Although I am by no means a collector, I appreciate having things like lenses in nice condition because they are so expensive as it is and I like to use them while at the same time take good care of them.

I'm located in the US, so I would prefer to deal domestically although I am certainly open to reputable sources abroad.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and recommendations.

Sincerely,

Edmund

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Unless you are a collector and want to pay collector prices, I would forget about the box, papers, case. I have not gotten one of my vintage lenses with all of the above. I have been lucky to find a couple of lenses in excellent condition and a couple of mine are users with good glass. I always try to find one with caps included. I think you might be missing out on some very nice opportunities by requiring the box, papers, case...those things tend to be not so important to some people along the way.
Some of the usual places to look are Camerawest, Adorama, KEH, Kurlandphoto, PhotoVillage, Ebay and Rangefinderforum. It takes patience.

woodyspedden

Hi,

I am an amateur and newbie to rangefinders but am really enjoying the use of my rangefinder camera and have recently been interested in some lenses that are no longer in production. Specifically, I am looking for the Leica 50/1.4 Summilux-M pre-ASPH E46 and Leica 35/1.4 Summilux-M pre-ASPH in mint condition with original packaging and accessories. I have been trying to find them on the usual places like eBay, rangefinder forums, and some online stores but with no luck.

Do you have any recommendations on other places or people I can try? Is it just a matter of timing? I'd be interested in tips that collectors might have. Although I am by no means a collector, I appreciate having things like lenses in nice condition because they are so expensive as it is and I like to use them while at the same time take good care of them.

I'm located in the US, so I would prefer to deal domestically although I am certainly open to reputable sources abroad.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and recommendations.

Sincerely,

Edmund
Ed

Chuck Jones has one for sale right here on the buy and sell thread. (50 lux pre-asph) A number of us on this forum have that lens and absolutely love it. It is very special.

Woody

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Ditto Camera West --- a great store with knowledgeable and professional staff, plus a large stock of Leica items properly graded at reasonable prices. Doesn't get much better :)

E

edhohoho

Thanks for all your responses. They were really helpful in broadening my search. I guess I should be in the market for some patience first! :eek:

Oh, and I did see that ad by Chuck Jones and PM'd him, but so far I haven't heard back from him yet.

Thanks again!

woodyspedden

Thanks for all your responses. They were really helpful in broadening my search. I guess I should be in the market for some patience first! :eek:

Oh, and I did see that ad by Chuck Jones and PM'd him, but so far I haven't heard back from him yet.

Thanks again!
Ed

Chuck lives in Navajo Dam N.M, a town that has little to no internet coverage. So Chuck goes into town a couple of times a week and gets on the net and answers his mail. So don't worry, he'll get back to you

Woody Spedden

lambert

I bought Chuck's 35/1.4 ASPH a little while ago and he was an absolute gem. Your patience will be rewarded!

Thanks again!

E

edhohoho

Thanks for your responses. Nice to hear that there are so many good people to deal with on this forum. And after seeing the work of Cindy and other members of this forum using the 85/1.5 Summarex, there may be even more reason for me to be patient as the list grows!

DaveB

Two or three times a year Skinner Auction House in Massachusetts holds a Science & Technology auction. In addition to antiques it usually includes a good number of high end cameras and lenses. Their August auction, and the one last year, had quite a few Leica items, perhaps a hundred or more. I managed to snag a noctilux a year ago from there. It gave me an opportunity to eyeball the cameras and lenses at my leisure prior to the sale so I felt comfortable about the merchandise I was bidding on. They have quite a few internet and phone bids it appears. I'm in the area, but found out about the sale while searching eBay. I've been keeping an eye on them since. During the auction I sat next to a Japanese fellow who was snapping up all the lower priced Leica stuff he could. "My sister has a shop in Tokyo," he explained. "She'll sell anything that I send her."

http://www.skinnerinc.com/content/showauction.asp?fam=15&type=latest

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Well, I just got a 1938 50/3.8 Elmar which works fine in a 22 dollar box of camera junk at an estate auction. Lenses are like gold in a lot of ways. It's where you find it. :thumbs:

E

edhohoho

DaveB, thanks for the link to the auction company. I'll have to contact them about their auction catalog.

I have heard about all these estate sales and potentially finding treasures, but I have the worst luck. Just last night I missed a classified ad for one of the lenses I was looking for by a few minutes. And I had posted a WTB ad on that forum for a few weeks now. :(

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Those Photo Arsenal prices are really something. :eek:
I have bought from Kevins Camera before and he is quick to answer emails and ship. I told him that I was looking for a user lens with good glass and he found one for me at less than collector prices .

harmsr

Workshop Member
You can also try http://www.ritzcam.com/

They are Collectible Camera here in Phoenix and specialize in non-current production stuff, especially Leica.

Ask to talk to Sandy Ritz. He is a great guy to work with.