The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8.2

fotografz

Neil ... isn't the Black M8-2 black chrome with black paint over it? It seems so from what Leica is saying.

Last edited:

j. white

To my understanding, if the M8.2 is produced using the same finishing methods that were used for the M6ttl and MP black paint models, the brass is first given a nickel coating, then a silver chrome finish and then painted with black enamel.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
What's different about the black paint of the M8.2 compared to the original black M8?
It's like the difference between painting with flat matte paint or semi-gloss paint in your home. The original black anodized finsih shows rub marks, while the black paint finish doesn't show rub marks and can just be wiped down with a lens cloth.

Basically, the black paint is more durable. It has a deeper black appearance and looks really, really nice.

David

fotografz

To my understanding, if the M8.2 is produced using the same finishing methods that were used for the M6ttl and MP black paint models, the brass is first given a nickel coating, then a silver chrome finish and then painted with black enamel.
Oh, I get it now ... black Chromium for the M8, black paint finished for the M8.2 ...

not a huge fan of black paint ... looks great on the collector's glass enclosed shelf or dilettante's calf skin bag with velvet lining ... but working with one at a wedding for 8 hours in 85º heat and its a greasy mess :ROTFL:

j. white

looks great on the collector's glass enclosed shelf or dilettante's calf skin bag with velvet lining ... but working with one at a wedding for 8 hours in 85º heat and its a greasy mess :ROTFL:
It also shows brass with user wear very nicely. Looking forward to my LHSA M6ttl wearing as much evidence of usage as my FM2 one day...

Reynolds

Workshop Member
I look at the 8.2 as getting the upgraded M8 without losing my camera for months. My 8.2 is on order. Trying to decide if this amateur needs a second body for any reason. Any thoughts?

Best to all,

Reynolds

fotografz

I look at the 8.2 as getting the upgraded M8 without losing my camera for months. My 8.2 is on order. Trying to decide if this amateur needs a second body for any reason. Any thoughts?

Best to all,

Reynolds
If it was a first M8 or a second camera I'd think the M8.2 is a good move. If you have to take a bath on your current M8 and pay through the nose to replace it ... maybe not such a good move.

Frankly, I don't see the M8.2 as an "upgrade" ... a slightly quieter shutter at the expense of 1/8000th when using f/1.4 glass in bright light ... and a new LCD screen that solves a rare or even nonexistent problem.

The sensor's the same, the firmware's almost the same.

So pop out the red dot and paint it black :rolleyes:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Reynolds, I am definitely a fan of twin M8's in the bag IF the photographer, amateur or pro, can afford that luxury ;)

Reynolds

Workshop Member
Jack, on second thought, I need your workshops way more than I need a second M8. My head is beginning to clear now!! oooo eBay???

Best to you and Guy!!

etrigan63

I'm with fotografz on this one. I can't justify any of the upgrades since the most important ones (to me - SDHC support and AutoISO) were free.

Besides when you can still do stuff like this

Parliament of Clouds

John Black

Frankly, I don't see the M8.2 as an "upgrade" ... a slightly quieter shutter at the expense of 1/8000th when using f/1.4 glass in bright light ... and a new LCD screen that solves a rare or even nonexistent problem.
The shutter speed reduction is a bit of a slap in the face. If Leica had to reduce the shutter speed, then they should have enabled ISO 80. I hit 1/8000 with F2. I don't think that ever happens on the 1Ds3 because its base ISO is 100.

With Auto-ISO, ISO 80 would have blended in nicely. If the shutter speed exceeds 1/4000, then drop to ISO 80. That way "in theory" nobody loses anything. I realize the DR may be reduced at ISO 80. With a Canon going from ISO 100 to ISO 50 usually means the loss of 1-stop of DR.

jonoslack

Hi There
I'm dithering about the upgrades as well.
I do quite a lot of 'good light' work, and I've also hit 1/8000th on a few occasions (usually trying to limit depth of field with a wide aperture). On the other hand, a quieter shutter would also be nice!
It seems to me that the 'correct' answer is probably to get one of my two bodies upgraded, and leave the other one. But I'm still considering it.

One thing is for sure - most of the 'new features' of the M8.2 I want are on the firmware upgrade - the auto ISO is really wonderful for those variable low-light moments when fiddling with the exposure as well as focusing is prone to lose you the shot.

Funny how most people accept AWB as a good thing - but are sniffy about auto ISO.

Stuart Richardson

I think most of those people have not used it as it exists in cameras like the D3 and D700 -- it really is a great feature -- more like intelligent AE than anything else. It still allows you complete creative control over the image, it just requires you to set your preferences ahead of time.