The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M-to-R Adapters: How to M lenses perform on R?

Nitnaros

Another question for the R folks:

What is your experience with mounting M lenses to a R?

Stopped-down metering, I am sure.

But how is IQ of the capture?
How would my M-75-lux perform on my R9/DMR?
Are there highly recommended adapters, or the opposite?

Bye,
Peter

robsteve

Subscriber
The M lenses do not usually mount on the R because the R film to mount distance is so much further than the M. Some of the older M lenses which had the lens heads screw off, allowed their use with the Visoflex. Theses lenses can then adapt to the R.

Robert

Nitnaros

Thanks, Robert, should have thought about that...

So you can mount R-lenses on M's via adapter, but they might be a bit bulky for the M's...

Peter

Nitnaros

Looking good, Jim;
I have a 5D.

What is a recommended R-to-EOS adapter with good build and possibly focus confirmation?

Bye,
Pete

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Try the ones from HappyPageHK. I use his AF confirmation (you still have to focus manually) on my Zeiss and Zuiko 21's and they work very well.

These are for R to EOS.

JimBuchanan

I should explain that the Tele-Elmar M lens was adapted to EOS by shortening the lens barrel about 16mm and a EOS flange attached. My only point was that on longer than 50mm M lenses, it maybe possible to shorten M lenses for EOS or R bodies. This is the only M lens I've found where this is possible or desired. The Tele-Elmar is a very good lens.

Also, I think Fotodiox sells a M to EOS adapter...