The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Focus Peaking is expensive

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Hi Chuck

I can understand your resentment - from my point of view there's nothing like that - I've bought near the bottom of the market, and with my eyes wide open

Well - I like using the 28-90 on the NEX 5n, and for my purposes the IS isn't really that important (I mostly shoot in good light anyway).
But I haven't bought with the certainty or knowledge that Leica will do something - or that I'll want it if they do!
For me, what changed things was using focus peaking - to be honest, in many circumstances I'd rather use it than AF, and I've found myself increasingly pressing the MF button on my A77 to get precise focus - or using it instead of the old focus and recompose technique.
I'm not sure what I feel would be called resentment. More disappointment. A professional photographer's income is generated from the tools he or she uses. The work produced and delivered to clients based upon the capability of those tools. As I'm sure most of the other pro's posting here can attest to, we have to choose our gear based upon the needs of our business as much as the esthetic qualities of the images they help us produce. You don't stay in photography as a business based upon how nice your photographs look if they don't sell.

Leica glass has never been cheap. It costs far more to hand build lenses of the R quality than it costs Canon, Nikon, or Sony to mass produce similar focal lengths. The fact that your buying and using R lenses now clearly shows what a difference that made in the end results. There is no question that when Leica made each of these R lenses, they were designed and built to be the best quality possible - not necessarily the least expensive to produce.

Those of us investing in the R glass, at the time, got past the difficult decision to invest the amount of money required to initially acquire our working lens selections based in great part on the fact that we would use those lenses for a considerable number of years. Leica encouraged us by the promise of future body upgrades to their line. First with film, the R8 then R9, and later with the DMR when it became clear the days of using film professionally were clearly numbered.

I made the trip myself to Photokina to discuss the R10 with Leica's corporate management, not willing to trust only the marketing hype. At the time, I had to make the tough business decision of whether to continue supporting Leica with my business by waiting until they could deliver R10 bodies, or should I instead sell off my R glass and invest into a new multi-shot MF back my business also could have used. Based upon those discussions, I chose to wait. My mistake, a bad choice, and a costly business decision.

It's clear our circumstances are very different. Your making your own decisions based upon very different needs, and as you said, with a substantially smaller cash investment made with your eyes wide open and no future expectations. Very wise Jono.

I hope that everyone else considering buying used Leica R glass comes to their decision based upon the same facts and considerations you are. Even at the "bottom of the market" as you judge it, your still paying a premium price today knowing your getting great lenses, some of the very best 35mm glass made at the time, but also knowing that in all likelihood there will never be another body from the Leica factory that can use them.

Let's not forget that today, there are also quite a number of excellent lenses produced that are optimized for use on digital platforms, from companies with a clear future path which I don't personally believe Leica has, the money to execute those plans, even lower and therefore more competitive prices, better current service history, and a new product warranty when inevitably something does go wrong or simply needs an adjustment. Service rates on that old Leica glass have gone up. As the title of this thread says, Focus Peaking can be expensive... not only in the initial investment.

jonoslack

Let's not forget that today, there are also quite a number of excellent lenses produced that are optimized for use on digital platforms, from companies with a clear future path which I don't personally believe Leica has, the money to execute those plans, even lower and therefore more competitive prices, better current service history, and a new product warranty when inevitably something does go wrong or simply needs an adjustment. Service rates on that old Leica glass have gone up. As the title of this thread says, Focus Peaking can be expensive... not only in the initial investment.
Hi Chuck
I'm not so cynical as you. I put a camera into leica for the sapphire glass update recently - it came back within a week, beautifully packed, excellently updated, new glass, new cover, new 1 year warranty and a complete CLA.

As for a clear future path - I think Leica really does have that - of course, they aren't making it public (I guess they've learned their lesson over the R10). Money? the new part sale should solve that. Competitive prices? not sure how you define competitive - is a Bentley competitive? If you mean cheap, then no, I'm sure they aren't going to be cheap (would you in their situation).

Peterm1_Leica

I am lucky that I have a plethora of old legacy SLR glass including Leica, Nikon, Canon FL and Pentax Super (and SMC) Takumar. Oh and some Voigtlander Leica M mount glass. I have found that you do not need to buy the most expensive Leica glass to use it well on the Sony NEX system unless you wish to of course. Perhaps because I am perfectly able to shoot my Leica and Voigtlander glass on my M8 body I am finding the NEX system most enjoyable to use with the old SLR glass which otherwise sits in a drawer. To be honest much of it has never been used as it should have been. Mostly I have bought on a whim and then not used it much mainly through a surfeit of choice.
For those interested I can say that the Canon FL 58mm f1.2; 85mm f1.8; 50mm f1.8 are particularly nice to use. As are the Takumar 35mm f2; 50mm f2; the 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.8 auto takumar. These all produce wonderful classic images that just blow me away again and again. In general though none of the legacy lenses I own could be called duds. Its just that I enjoy some more than others. Focus peaking is tops!

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
This thread really got my attention. What I miss the most about my R gear was the world class telephotos . Especially the 180/2.8 APO which is one of the finest all around lenses I ve had . The handling is special and I loved using it for sports .

Its also nice to be able to use both M and R glass on the same body .

I understand the attractiveness of the zooms but is there any reason I wouldn t use the 50-135 range from the M before any R alternatives ?

For 16-50 I am sticking with my M9 s unless I want fill flash which is pretty unlikely .

Like finding the rare old care in the barn ...always a dream...I found a brand new 280/4 APO for a steal a year or two back . Not as attractive as the 180/2.8 apo with a NEX 7 but a view of the future possibilities.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's one of those things one expects to need . . . . . and then find that the alternative reality is actually an improvement.

Personally it's the first time I've found working with 'the wrong lenses' to be even faintly sensible - and I'm really enjoying it. . . . . like you, I'm hoping for a Leica solution one day, which is the reason for not going down the Leitax route with the A77 - at least for the time being.

all the best . . . surely you can borrow a 5n from some willing person?
A Leica solution will have me in the early adopter's queue.
-bob

Dolce Moda

I'm with Bob.

I have switched to Leica R glass exclusively for my work. I shoot with a Canon 5Dii and a Leica R8 for film work. I have no regrets.

k-hawinkler

A most interesting thread, including some familiar folks from LUF. Impressed by Doug's Stunning images I decided to buy a Leica-R APO 280/4. I would like to also use that lens with the 1.4x and 2x APO Extender-R. Considering Leica eventually might come out with an R-solution I don't want to really leitax any of the R-lenses. So, a Sony NEX camera with adapter should be able to tie me over. Right now 5N seem available, the 7 is another situation.

I wonder when the NEX-7 becomes available again?
Any flaws in my reasoning?

Best, K-H.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
A most interesting thread, including some familiar folks from LUF. Impressed by Doug's Stunning images I decided to buy a Leica-R APO 280/4. I would like to also use that lens with the 1.4x and 2x APO Extender-R. Considering Leica eventually might come out with an R-solution I don't want to really leitax any of the R-lenses. So, a Sony NEX camera with adapter should be able to tie me over. Right now 5N seem available, the 7 is another situation.

K-H

Wow I totally forgot about being able to use the extenders . I still have both
1.4x and the 2x which has been a big reason to not convert my R telephotos.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Roger, another friend of mine also still has high hopes of Leica some day doing a new digital body that will use his R glass, so he converted a 1.4x instead and uses that on his Sony. Not a bad idea at all, in my opinion.

V

Vivek

Any flaws in my reasoning?

Best, K-H.

Yes, only one. I say this not to discourage but as a word of caution..

While it is good to have Doug Herr as an inspiration, you also have to keep in mind that the same Doug Herr has produced many stunning images with a lowly Noflexar!

k-hawinkler

Vivek,

Thanks for your feedback. Doug Herr is indeed a unique nature photographer with amazing accomplishments. It's always a joy to study and learn from his stunning pictures.

Best, K-H.

doug

Yes, only one. I say this not to discourage but as a word of caution..

While it is good to have Doug Herr as an inspiration, you also have to keep in mind that the same Doug Herr has produced many stunning images with a lowly Noflexar!
As much as I like the Novoflex's quick handling, 99.99% of the time I prefer the 280's image quality. The T-Novoflexar needs to be stopped down to f/8 for the image quality I'd like to see and without an auto aperture the usefulness at f/8 is limited. The T-Noflexar's bokeh is pretty much always smooth and gentle while the 280mm f/4 APO can be a little harsh at times. Bottom line for me: the T-Noflexar was sold, the 280 rarely leaves my sight (I take quick showers).

The idea of converting a 1.4x extender to another mount is interesting, I'd like to hear of any experience with this.

jonoslack

The T-Noflexar's bokeh is pretty much always smooth and gentle while the 280mm f/4 APO can be a little harsh at times. Bottom line for me: the T-Noflexar was sold, the 280 rarely leaves my sight (I take quick showers).
:ROTFL: Sounds like my lovely new 28-90

The idea of converting a 1.4x extender to another mount is interesting, I'd like to hear of any experience with this.
I'm also interested in this - I want to carry on using the lenses on the NEX7, I'm hoping for a Leica solution, and anyway, converting several ROM lenses is an expensive endeavour.

V

Vivek

The T-Novoflexar needs to be stopped down to f/8 for the image quality I'd like to see and without an auto aperture the usefulness at f/8 is limited.
Not a surprise considering it is a triplet. But, you know what I posted. K-H understands. ;)

Doug, AFAIK, you are an odd man among bird photogs. Almost all the fabulous pics are taken through Canons and Nikons.

doug

But, you know what I posted. K-H understands. ;)
Yup, I kinda went off on a tangent. Most wildlife photos are also made with much longer/bigger/heavier lenses, regardless of brand. The 280's performance inspires me to work harder to get close enough to my subjects so I can justify using it.

V

Vivek

Actually, K-H, after seeing your fine image (and the gear specs that came with it), I have to ask you why in the world you would need a NEX-7 when you have the M9 plus a Visoflex combo? :confused: