The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How does the DMR compare to Nikon and Canon

How does the image quality, as observed in an actual print, compare with current Nikon and Canon offerings? I have to admit that since I bought the DMR a couple years ago I haven't paid the slightest bit of attention what Nikon and Canon have been doing, but I know they have made huge advances. So how does the Leica image quality stack up?

woodyspedden

How does the image quality, as observed in an actual print, compare with current Nikon and Canon offerings? I have to admit that since I bought the DMR a couple years ago I haven't paid the slightest bit of attention what Nikon and Canon have been doing, but I know they have made huge advances. So how does the Leica image quality stack up?
Bill

I think that, from an absolute IQ perspective, the R system still kicks butt. However this, like most MF systems, is where you use the camera at its sweet spot which is at ISO's up to 400 etc. You can get a Nikon and get IQ at 6400 which remains super close to what you get at 100!

Of course the Leica R lenses still kills the competition. Nikon lenses have come long way, but the Leica remains the standard bearer. But of course the Leica lenses are manual focus and that remains an old technology for many. Personally I have no problem using these lenses for almost all purposes so they represent the best I can buy for my types of shooting.

Horses for courses and everyone has their own shooting priorities. But if you carefully read peoples' responses to these threads, most will tell you that the R system has few peers!

Woody Spedden

D

ddk

I agree with Woody on this, if you're not into the latest tech, machine gun speeds or fastest AF system, and don't need very high iso, then the combination of R lenses and Kodak chip hasn't been matched yet by the big two imo. The only other alternative for me, one that I even prefer in some ways, is a Fuji S5 with Zeiss glass, very different character but equally good.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well I wrote the bible on the DMR and still to this day along with the M8 it still is the gold standard in image quality only to be beaten by it's big brother MF. I bought my Phase One back because of the Kodak sensor. In reality I basically have shot the same sensor for the last 4 years or so. I may have switched out camera's a few times but never left the Kodak sensor. Actually so did Woody