The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 Firmware Update 1.174

Knorp

Check it out:

http://de.leica-camera.com/service/downloads/rangefinder_cameras/m9_m9-p/
http://us.leica-camera.com/service/downloads/rangefinder_cameras/m9_m9-p/

Improvements in the M9 Firmware Version 1.174
1. Bug fixes:
Leica Camera has become aware of customers experiencing compatibility issues related to select types
of new memory cards when used in the Leica M9.
This Firmware 1.174 fixes a bug that led to the faulty behaviour. Generally Leica recommends to use SD
/ SDHC Cards from San Disk. Until further notice, the following SD-Cards are still not recommended to
use, because some misbehaviour occurred in the test phasis.
- San Disk Extreme Pro SDHC I UHS-1 (all card sizes)
- San Disk Extreme HD Video SDHC I (all card sizes)

Kind regards.

Last edited:

TimothyHyde

Subscriber Member
Man oh man did I find that out the hard way. I lost the better part of a day's shoot with my M9 using Extreme Pro cards. Took the card out and it was empty. The lesson I learned was to NEVER use 32gig or greater cards without a dual slot, and swap the 16s out a couple times a day--when I get the opportunity, not when the card is full.

250swb

I can confirm that my favourite 16gb SanDisk Extreme III card that worked faultlessly before the upgdate still works, so that's a result.

Steve

akiralx

As my 2 cards (generally just use one) work fine with my M9, I'm going to give this upgrade a miss...

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Akiralx, I hear what your saying, my cards work just fine also. But something I have learned over the years of shooting Leica, they do very few firmware updates that always seem to do much more than they advertise. In this case, I guess the biggest complaint is cards, so they advertise they fixed it.

But after updating, I see more here than meets the eye. Only did the update a few mins ago, and just shot a test frame, so please bear in mind this is only first impressions on the new firmware. I did immediately see a difference in the mixed lighting color balance in the test frame. Color seems much more accurate across the board. Maybe it is just a fluke, they do happen sometimes, but this looks as more than that. My bet is there are several minor "tweaks" in this firmware that are not listed - keeping in practice with Leica's past practice.

Bottom line, a Canon or Nikon update I mite pass on. A Leica update has in past always been something I was glad in hindsight I did. This one is no exception, at least not so far.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks for the info Chuck. Like Akiraix I wasn't planning to upgrade since I have had zero problems with my Extreme Pro 16GB cards. But you make a good point!

Curiously, people have had problems with certain Sandisk cards in the Nikon D7000 as well. But after a month and about 2000 frames I've had zero issues. Two Extreme HD 32GB cards with slot 2 used as backup. Even Nikon has acknowledged issues, yet for me they just work. (Famous last words, I know.)

S

swamiji

I had several cards that did not work before, that work now.

Brian S

could you list the cards that started working again?

The Sandisk UHS-1 cards are still on the "Don't use" list. I was shopping at an HR Gregg store today, the salesman told me that they have seen problems with those cards in general and that he steered customers away from them. I'm on my second replacement card from Sandisk, after the original failed. None of them had ever been on the M9, failed with my computer.

S

swamiji

M9 Firmware Update 1.176, has just been released to correct the rest of the Sandisk issues.