The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss 50mm 1.5 sonnar, leica summiconr 2.0 or nokton 1.1?

Stuart Richardson

pre asph means it is the version of the lens before Leica started using aspherical lens elements. These elements help further correct lens aberrations, and generally increase sharpness while decreasing distortion, coma, chromatic aberration and so on. Some people prefer the look of the older lenses -- they like the way the bokeh looks, and prefer the softer look wide open. The newer lenses are sharper and better corrected, but some feel they look "harsh" in comparison to the older lenses. It is entirely a matter of taste.

The lens you link to is an excellent version, though you will likely have to pay a large price premium for the so called "king of bokeh". It won't finish at 400 something dollars, trust me! The best price/performance ratio in 35mm is either the Zeiss 35mm f/2 Biogon (by all accounts a fantastic lens), or one of the Voigtlander 35mm lenses (particularly the older f/1.7 model if you can find it...it is a better performer than their current 1.4). The Leica 35mm lenses are fantastic, but are extremely pricey. Only you can decide if they are worth the premium.

iiiNelson

I owned a Nokton 1.5 and I still own the Zeiss 50 Planar. I tried a 50 Summicron out last year when I got my M9 and I preferred the look of the Planar (nevermind it was 1/3 the price too.) None are really bad so there's no wrong choice just go with the one that's most appealing to you.

I will buy a 50 Summilux or maybe a Noctilux (as soon as I find one) for the low light stuff but if I was willing to work with the focus shift the C-Sonnar compares well with it.

JSRockit

What about these three? Any pros an cons? Is the nokton to big and bulky?
50mm Sonnar if you mostly do portraits of people

50mm Summicron if you want the best overall 50mm of the bunch

50mm Nokton if you absolutely need f/1.1 because it isn't a great overall 50mm at normal apertures due to size and distortion.

Double Negative

Not Available
^ And focus shift (re: Nokton).

But agreed. The Summicron is an "easy to use" and very good lens. The Sonnar and Nokton are not everyone's cup of tea. You can substitute the Planar T* 2/50 ZM for it if you don't want to spend the money for nearly the same performance.

Brian S

50/1.5 C-Sonnar wide-open on the Leica M8:

"Subject moved during Exposure", this lens is spot-on at F1.5 with my M8.

So it should be off at f4?

At F4, Jamestown Settlement, Thanksgiving day.

This little Lad played Soccer with the visitors. Including me.

Also at F4.

Focus shift is not much of an issue with a Film camera. 1) Film does not hold as flat as a digital sensor, 2) you are not going to pixel-peep to see the shift.

Me- I slightly offset the rangefinder image for F4. Focus "ever so slightly" toward the close end of the focus ring. We're talking 1" at 3ft, which is will not be noticed at F4 with film.

Brian S

This is with the world's worst Summicron, wide-open at F2.

I recoated the front element with an Eye-glass repair kit. So no matter what Summicron you buy, it will be better than this.

JSRockit

You can substitute the Planar T* 2/50 ZM for it if you don't want to spend the money for nearly the same performance.
At increased size as well though... which may or may not matter to the OP.

I've used all 4 lenses... nokton, sonnar, summicron, and planar... I've made great images with all of them, but I've missed a lot with the sonnar and nokton due to shift which can be very frustrating. I now use a 50mm Summarit 2.5 which I love.

Double Negative

Not Available
At increased size as well though... which may or may not matter to the OP...
True, true. Zeiss doesn't place as much emphasis on size as Leica does and the Summicrons are pretty sweet. I wish Zeiss would embrace aspherical elements a little more... But they seem to hold their own optically at least.

In their defense, they're lighter. :p

seakayaker

. . . . . a plug for the Zeiss 50 1.5 Sonnar, a fine lens. Samples of some photographs with a M9 and M6 TTL can be found here: .flickr.com/photos/26672618@N03/sets/72157627847756632/with/6285017673/

Also a plug for the Voigtlander 50 1.5 Nokton, another LTM lens that is sweet.
Sample photographs take with a M8.2, M9, and MP can be found on page 5 & 6 here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26672618@N03/sets/72157624154693002/?page=5

If cost is an issue you can get the Zeiss with a Hood for about 60% of the Summicron and the Voigtlander, which comes with a hood at about 40% of the cost of the Leica Cron.

. . . . . then there is finding one. The Voigtlander lens are readily availble, the Zeiss have been hit and miss for new and used lately, and a new 50mm cron just doesn't appear to often and the used are going for the price of new lately.

Lots of good choices in the 50mm range, good luck with your search and decision.