Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Using Leica R lenses on the Sony NEX 5

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Using Leica R lenses on the Sony NEX 5

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    lol!

well, you've infected me. i found a 2-cam Elmarit-R 180mm f/2.8 at KEH in BGN condition for $340. Add a couple of Kipon adapters (R->M, R->Fourthirds) ... call it $430. it looks to be a nice big lump of Leica glass ... will be fun to play with. be interesting to see how it makes images compared to the last Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 AI i sold. (i sold that one mostly because there was no sensible way to put it on a tripod with a small camera like the G1 ...)

the M9 will have to wait another increment. sigh. the addictive quality of camera gear is really scary. =8^0
    Well - enjoy - I'm sure you will
    Sad that the new doesn't have sensor IS, but I've been having good results using the high ISO abilities.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, maybe this applies to some specific ROM lenses but it would be surprising if it applies to all of them.

I see nothing in this page mentioning this 'return to Leitax retrofit' cost:

http://www.leitax.com/Leica-lens-for-Sony-cameras.html

but I admit to not reading it with an editor's eagle eye, so maybe I missed something.

And I did this one in 20 minutes or so a few months back, for the A900:

http://www.leitax.com/conversion/lei...ROM/index.html

Very nice results from it on that body, a special lens even among my Contaxes.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by philip_pj View Post
    Jono, maybe this applies to some specific ROM lenses but it would be surprising if it applies to all of them.

I see nothing in this page mentioning this 'return to Leitax retrofit' cost:

http://www.leitax.com/Leica-lens-for-Sony-cameras.html

but I admit to not reading it with an editor's eagle eye, so maybe I missed something.

And I did this one in 20 minutes or so a few months back, for the A900:

http://www.leitax.com/conversion/lei...ROM/index.html

Very nice results from it on that body, a special lens even among my Contaxes.
    Thanks for that - I can see the point here . . . . . but this is a direct quote from the Leitax website:

- I'm offering now a reversible custom conversion work for the Leica Zoom lenses with ROM contacts that are, in general, not suitable for direct bayonet replacement, please contact me for an estimate.
    Of course, there is no problem with 3-cam Zoom lenses to use the standard Leitax mount.

Here is a Link to the next page

More reading shows that the 70-180 is actually okay.
    So - I could convert the 180 APO myself.
    But, to be honest, I'm very happy with the Zeiss zooms on the A77 - I'll wait and see how these zooms do on the NEX7 before undertaking the trip to Spain

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi There

Here are a few more shots. Some taken at lunchtime yesterday, the tree shots are from early this morning.

A few from the journey to work and the lunchtime walk.

with the Leica 21-35

with the Leica 21-35

with the Leica 28-90

with the Leica 28-90

with the Leica 28-90

with the Leica 28-90

Still loving these lenses with the NEX

Just this guy you know

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice stuff Jono! Stay away from the R Lux's (35, 50, 80), they can be as intoxicating (addictive) as their M cousins.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmb_ View Post
    Nice stuff Jono! Stay away from the R Lux's (35, 50, 80), they can be as intoxicating (addictive) as their M cousins.
    Oh Yes - I fully understand. But I am determined to stay away - I already have the M cousins, and if I'm going to MF shoot primes, then they'll do.

Thanks for the kind words - I'm not certain about the 21-35, but the 28-90 and the 180 APO really are lovely lenses . hopefully one day I can try them on a Leica sensor!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When I had the R9 and later the DMR, I started with the 19mm, 50mm and 100mm and 180mm lenses. They are all spectacular. Then I bought Guy's 28-90mm to round things out in the wide range, I was shocked how much I wound up using it. It is the best zoom I have ever used -- very sharp, little distortion, useful focal length, great ergonomics, and even very nice bokeh. I used it more at 70mm than 90mm, but it really does a great job, as you are demonstrating! The 180mm APO was the best lens I had ever used from a performance standard (until I got the S2 and the 120mm), but I found it a bit less useful due to the very long focal length. In my opinion, the best lens in the whole Leica R range was the 100mm f/2.8 APO -- it is nearly as good a performer as the 180mm, yet it is of a much more useful focal length, it's smaller, and it doubles as a brilliant macro lens. It is a true beauty. The 50mm f/1.4 Summilux E60 has the nicest character of any 50mm I have used as well...not as sharp as the 50 lux ASPH, but sort of a mix between it and the 50mm pre-asph -- blending the best aspects of both. Also a bit of a dream lens! There was a reason that people shot Leica R, and it wasn't the bodies!
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The two backlit photos of the trees are stunning, Jono! Very nice indeed.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah well. The "BGN" grade Elmarit-R 180/2.8 2-cam arrived today. I think it was mis-classified ... It's way beyond BGN, it's UGLY at best to my eyes. The glass looks good and the aperture works smoothly, but the focusing mount is stiff, the hood is dented up, and the paint is worn off every edge to the silver.

I made a few test exposures with it and it images nicely, but it's a bit more beat up than I care to mess with I think. I have 14 days to return it ... I will call tomorrow and get an RMA number, ship it out on Monday for a refund.

Hmm. Well, now I have adapters for Leica R->Leica M (for the GXR) and Leica R->FourThirds SLR (for the E-5 and E-1). They're not too expensive. I'll keep 'em, never know when another of these fine lenses might come up that will be a nice addition to the kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

These were some of the R lens collection I had put together to use on R8/R9 DMR system - I think at one stage I had obsessively collected every lens they had ever made for the R - up to and including the 280 in focal length. Not really a long tele shooter. Optically - no one has ever come close to the 35-70 zoom - or the 70-180 zooms. These would be my first choice R lenses to try - if you can find one.

I must admit - whenever I see reference to R lenses I wince in pain and bad memories - Leica relaly let the R users down when they decided not to upgrade the R9 to a higher megapixel version - even after promising one way or another that they would....Sad days.
    Last edited by PeterA; 22nd November 2011 at 17:42.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that what you were lookin' to post? :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

hahah Godfrey - I get confused beteen HTML and BB when trying to link...thanks for figuring it out - before I did?

-

Post Thanks / Like

The ergonomic of this setup works really well for me. If anyone has a Novoflex Leica R to NEX adapter to part with, please kindly PM me with details.

Sincerely, Matthew