Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Using Leica R lenses on the Sony NEX 5

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Using Leica R lenses on the Sony NEX 5

Hi There - what fun I've been having!
    I've never owned any R lenses before, but the focus peaking on the NEX 5n together with the excellent viewfinder prompted me to buy 3 lenses:
    21-35 f3/5 Asph
    28-90 f2.8 / f4.5 Asph
    180 f2.8 APO

I thought they would also go nicely on the A77 with a mount change if necessary, but it's much simpler using them on the NEX with a cheap chinese (very nicely made) adapter, which cost 19.99

Here are a few early samples in no particular order
    Processed from RAW in Aperture:

with the 28-90 (Oak Apples )

with the 28-90

with the 180 APO

with the 28-90

with the 28-90

with the 28-90

with the 28-90

with the 180 f2.8

All the best
    Last edited by jonoslack; 13th November 2011 at 07:08.

Just this guy you know
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Using Leica R lenses on the Sony NEX 5

Here are some more with the 180 f2.8 APO
    focusing is surprisingly easy - even wide open:

with the 180 APO

with the 180 APO

with the 180 APO

with the 180 APO

with the 180 APO

with the 180 APO

n.b. everything is hand held.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great to hear that there is a way to use these well on digital. They are spectacular lenses. I am guessing Leica's mirrorless camera will do as well! Maybe they can even get the lenses to stop down automatically...
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    Great to hear that there is a way to use these well on digital. They are spectacular lenses. I am guessing Leica's mirrorless camera will do as well! Maybe they can even get the lenses to stop down automatically...
    HI There Stuart
    Seems to me that if you have a good EVF then it doesn't really matter that much whether they stop down or not - even in pretty low light the focus peaking seems to work really well.
    Remember - I've only spent one day fiddling with these lenses - experience will make it easier, by my hit rate for focusing is still really high. The swan shots especially I was pleased with - wild swan and not keeping still either!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Whoops I was wrong LOL. (see Fuji thread)

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono

I had an R system with all of the lenses you bought.

The 180 elmarit is just superb. I had both it and also the 180 2.0. The elmarit was so much smaller and the IQ so superb that I sold the Summicron and kept the Elmarit.

I love the 28-90 zoom. I have some images that you would swear had to be taken with a prime lens as the results were so good. However I never really cottoned to the 21-35. Not a bad lens but the primes in that region were just so much better (particularly the 28 Elmarit.)

JMHO. I hope you enjoy the lenses with your 5n. So far the results look great

Woody

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Whoops I was wrong LOL. (see Fuji thread)

Diane
    ???? I'm very confused ???

nice to hear from you though

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jono,

Liking what you are posting with the Rs. If I may, could you post a 180mm

on the 5N image for me to get a feel for the contraption.

Keep posting Jono, and thanks.

Regards.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, lovely imaging.

I always wanted a Leica R specifically for the quality of the Leica R lenses. They do lovely things in imaging! They were always more expensive than I was willing to pay for, but an R8 and three or four of these lenses were always in my thoughts during the 1990s.

Enjoy them.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, they seem to be working beautifully! How's the ergonomics? flange focal range of 47mm, longer than almost any other SLR.

BTW, does anybody else remember how a couple of years ago some Leica exec said they're working on a solution that would allow one to use R lenses on a digital Leica? So far - zero?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Ah, lovely imaging.

I always wanted a Leica R specifically for the quality of the Leica R lenses. They do lovely things in imaging! They were always more expensive than I was willing to pay for, but an R8 and three or four of these lenses were always in my thoughts during the 1990s.

Enjoy them.
    I had the same thoughts and desires in the 80s and 90s, so I finally bought an R8 and several R lenses over the past 18 months. They are so much more affordable now, although if folks keep posting these great images with R glass, I'm sure the prices of clean R lenses will be trending upwards.

Gary

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Jono

I had an R system with all of the lenses you bought.

The 180 elmarit is just superb. I had both it and also the 180 2.0. The elmarit was so much smaller and the IQ so superb that I sold the Summicron and kept the Elmarit.

I love the 28-90 zoom. I have some images that you would swear had to be taken with a prime lens as the results were so good. However I never really cottoned to the 21-35. Not a bad lens but the primes in that region were just so much better (particularly the 28 Elmarit.)

JMHO. I hope you enjoy the lenses with your 5n. So far the results look great

Woody
    HI Woody
    I'm really enjoying the lenses - the 21-35 is probably more exciting on the NEX 5n - i.e. it's cropped, and it turns into a more useful 30-55 lens. It's also quite small.
    I quite agree with you about the 28-90 though - it's wonderful!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    Hi Jono,

Liking what you are posting with the Rs. If I may, could you post a 180mm

on the 5N image for me to get a feel for the contraption.

Keep posting Jono, and thanks.

Regards.
    Hi There Ray
    Please to oblige - it looks odder than it feels! (I promise)

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ah, lovely imaging.

Enjoy them.
    Thank you Godfrey.
    I got all the three lenses for less than the price of a 35 'lux - hardly cheap, but they certainly feel worth it!

I'm not sure how it'll pan out in the end, but they're reassuringly easy to focus. I'm not sure that the Sony sensor does them justice, but it's refreshing to have lenses which certainly do the sensor justice !

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I like using Leica M-mount lenses on my Nex because even with the adapter, they're very compact. Going to R-mount lenses adds a fair amount of bulk to the package.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    Well, they seem to be working beautifully! How's the ergonomics? flange focal range of 47mm, longer than almost any other SLR.
    They feel good - it's a different experience, but even on the first day I've been getting a reassuringly good hit-rate on focus, and it's fun to use

Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    BTW, does anybody else remember how a couple of years ago some Leica exec said they're working on a solution that would allow one to use R lenses on a digital Leica? So far - zero?
    Oh! Everyone remembers! Who it was that said it, what he said . . . . I don't doubt for a second that there will be some kind of a solution - when, is anybody's guess! I bought the lenses because I could see a positive use for them now . . . and a hopeful use for them in the future.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    I had the same thoughts and desires in the 80s and 90s, so I finally bought an R8 and several R lenses over the past 18 months. They are so much more affordable now, although if folks keep posting these great images with R glass, I'm sure the prices of clean R lenses will be trending upwards.

Gary
    Hi Gary
    Thank You!
    It seemed to me that focus peaking meant that their moment had come. Of course, I'd rather use them on a Leica sensor, and I hope that someday I will, but they're worth having right now . . . . maybe you should grab yourself a NEX 5n and play digital with your lenses?

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
    I like using Leica M-mount lenses on my Nex because even with the adapter, they're very compact. Going to R-mount lenses adds a fair amount of bulk to the package.
    Hi There
    Of course - quite agree . . . . .but personally, if I'm using M lenses, I put them on the M9!

The point here is to use lenses of Leica quality, but which are either zooms, or of a longer focal length. Hence my choice of lenses. There isn't anything like an M 28-90 zoom - or an 180mm f2.8!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jono.

The images you have presented using this combo are wonderful. The ergonomics of this ' machine ' appears a bit uncomfortable to me.

Best regards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Gary
    Thank You!
    It seemed to me that focus peaking meant that their moment had come. Of course, I'd rather use them on a Leica sensor, and I hope that someday I will, but they're worth having right now . . . . maybe you should grab yourself a NEX 5n and play digital with your lenses?

all the best
    The size and ergonomics of the NEX cameras has never appealed to me.....but I'm looking forward to hearing of your experience using the R lenses on the A77 (and seeing some images from same)! The A77 body style is more to my liking. In any case, the images you've posted here look terrific.

Gary

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi There Ray
    Please to oblige - it looks odder than it feels! (I promise)

That's a hefty lens, but I see there is a version of the two-cam Elmarit-R 180/2.8 with a tripod mounting foot built in. Hmm. On the GXR-M, that's a 270/2.8 EFL, and on the E-1/E-5 it's a 360/2.8 EFL.

Sheesh, you're tempting me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, when you see what those R lenses do on the A77, it's going to take your breath away dude. Those are some of the best lenses ever made for 35mm mount, bar none. I sold my entire collection finally after several years of waiting for Leica to build a digital body that would use them, the now dead R10 project. Bought myself an M9 and more M glass instead, and haven't looked back yet.

In all honestly, now that I have the A77, wishing I still had all the R glass! I look forward to seeing how you get on with those mounted up to 24MP. Going to be quite impressive indeed!

Post Thanks / Like

That's a hefty lens, but I see there is a version of the two-cam Elmarit-R 180/2.8 with a tripod mounting foot built in. Hmm. On the GXR-M, that's a 270/2.8 EFL, and on the E-1/E-5 it's a 360/2.8 EFL.

The 180mm f/2.8 APO is actually quite lightweight and manageable, and you can add a rotating tripod mount to it. The tripod mount of the early 180mm Elmarit-R doesn't rotate, and as far as I know a tripod ring can't be fitted to the late pre-APO 180mm Elmarit-R. An add-on tripod mount isn't optimum but IMHO it's better than nothing and also (IMHO) better than a non-rotating tripod mount.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    Thanks Jono.

The images you have presented using this combo are wonderful. The ergonomics of this ' machine ' appears a bit uncomfortable to me.

Best regards.
    The size and ergonomics of the NEX cameras has never appealed to me.....but I'm looking forward to hearing of your experience using the R lenses on the A77 (and seeing some images from same)! The A77 body style is more to my liking. In any case, the images you've posted here look terrific.

Gary
    Hi There Ray and Gary
    It works much better than it looks is all that I can say: the grip on the right hand side of the camera works pretty well with my (admittedly small) hands, while the lens nestles comfortably in my left hand, ready for focusing or zooming.

As for using R lenses on the A77 - with ROM lenses it's an expensive round trip to Spain to get the Leitax mounts fitted - I might go that way in the end, but at the moment I think I'll carry on using them in their natural state . At least until the NEX 7 arrives.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post

The 180mm f/2.8 APO is actually quite lightweight and manageable, and you can add a rotating tripod mount to it. The tripod mount of the early 180mm Elmarit-R doesn't rotate, and as far as I know a tripod ring can't be fitted to the late pre-APO 180mm Elmarit-R. An add-on tripod mount isn't optimum but IMHO it's better than nothing and also (IMHO) better than a non-rotating tripod mount.
    Doug has it - it's really not too big (it looks a bit bigger here because the adapter is large) it weighs less than a kilo, and the focusing is soooo smooth, that it all works pretty well.

Tripods are not for me I'm afraid, but these three all work okay hand held. Especially with the excellent low light capabilities of the NEX.

Doug - I would have thought this might be an interesting combination for you to try out - and not an expensive try-out either.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Jones View Post
    Jono, when you see what those R lenses do on the A77, it's going to take your breath away dude. Those are some of the best lenses ever made for 35mm mount, bar none. I sold my entire collection finally after several years of waiting for Leica to build a digital body that would use them, the now dead R10 project. Bought myself an M9 and more M glass instead, and haven't looked back yet.

In all honestly, now that I have the A77, wishing I still had all the R glass! I look forward to seeing how you get on with those mounted up to 24MP. Going to be quite impressive indeed!
    Hi There Chuck
    see my reply above - it's an expensive round trip to Spain for ROM lenses . . . and another expensive Round trip if you want them changed back again!

I'd love to use them on the A77, but for the time being I'm going to keep them in their natural state and use them on the NEX 5n . . . . and the NEX 7 if it ever comes my way!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
    Indeed, but I for one am really pleased with the way the unit handles, supporting it with the left hand holding the lens, and the right hand effortlessly controlling the camera. It's still a light weight package unless of course it's a fast long tele. Just doesn't fit in a coat pocket, but I've never been much of a coat kind of guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Doug - I would have thought this might be an interesting combination for you to try out - and not an expensive try-out either.
    Let's just say that the temptation is much bigger than the bank account. It would seem to me - and your experience seems to confirm this - that focus peaking is a huge benefit.

Has anyone used the Novoflex R-to-NEX adapter? Novoflex offers a tripod collar to fit their adapters and I'm curious how this has worked out.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone used the Novoflex R-to-NEX adapter? Novoflex offers a tripod collar to fit their adapters and I'm curious how this has worked out.
    I'm using their R-NEX adapter, but wasn't aware of a collar. Totally pleased with the adapter, I will check that out.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Doug has it - it's really not too big (it looks a bit bigger here because the adapter is large) it weighs less than a kilo, and the focusing is soooo smooth, that it all works pretty well.

Tripods are not for me I'm afraid, but these three all work okay hand held. Especially with the excellent low light capabilities of the NEX.

Thanks. The Elmarit-R 180/2.8 APO model is much more expensive than I'm willing to pay for ...

I use a tripod a good bit of the time. A casual search a couple of 2-cam 180/2.8s with the fixed tripod mount for prices in the $400-500 range. I might just give one a try, the lack of a rotating collar isn't a big deal to me. And on the E-5 body, the IBIS makes hand-holding more capable with such a long focal length.

I'll likely just let a moment's infatuation with this lens fade away. I have the superb Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4 already. ;-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks. The Elmarit-R 180/2.8 APO model is much more expensive than I'm willing to pay for ...
    HI Godfrey - I was advised that this was a much better lens - of course, without trying the others I don't know! I paid 900 for mine - not out of order I think, it certainly feels like an expensive piece of kit!

I use a tripod a good bit of the time. A casual search a couple of 2-cam 180/2.8s with the fixed tripod mount for prices in the $400-500 range.

I might just give one a try, the lack of a rotating collar isn't a big deal to me. And on the E-5 body, the IBIS makes hand-holding more capable with such a long focal length.

I'll likely just let a moment's infatuation with this lens fade away. I have the superb Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4 already. ;-)
    Certainly that's the cheapest option!
    I wanted just to try and see, and it occurred to me that I was unlikely to lose money on these as long as I bought them reasonably sensibly.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

HI Godfrey - I was advised that this was a much better lens - of course, without trying the others I don't know! I paid 900 for mine - not out of order I think, it certainly feels like an expensive piece of kit!
    Seems you found a very good deal. Most of the prices I see on the Elmarit-R 180/2.8 APO are quite a bit higher than that ... $2000-$3000. Even 900 ($1400 US) is a lot of money for a lens I will use so infrequently, but $2000+ is out of the question.

I'd rather put that amount of money towards an M9 body!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Seems you found a very good deal. Most of the prices I see on the Elmarit-R 180/2.8 APO are quite a bit higher than that ... $2000-$3000. Even 900 ($1400 US) is a lot of money for a lens I will use so infrequently, but $2000+ is out of the question.

I'd rather put that amount of money towards an M9 body!
    I quite understand - I have a slush fund for this kind of stuff, lenses are usually okay as long as you get a reasonable deal like this one - cameras less so

I've been doing a lot of clearing out recently though; all Olympus / Pentax / Panasonic / small sensor / - not that there was anything wrong with it, all good kit, just a case of preferences and usage.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi There Chuck
    see my reply above - it's an expensive round trip to Spain for ROM lenses . . . and another expensive Round trip if you want them changed back again!

I'd love to use them on the A77, but for the time being I'm going to keep them in their natural state and use them on the NEX 5n . . . . and the NEX 7 if it ever comes my way!

all the best
    Or if something like this ever came to into being ... as in never

Marc

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post

Marc
    Well - to be honest Marc I'm not personally so fussed - If I'm going to use manual focus lenses . . . . (I know this is terrible sacrilege) . . . I'm beginning to realise I'd rather use them on a good EVF than an Optical SLR viewfinder with a mirror. Added to which I still think that Leica made the right decision in realising that they couldn't easily compete with the Nikons and Canons of this world.

What I really would like is a full frame solution from Leica which would use the R lenses - this year, next year, sometime . . . . .Here's hoping - in the meantime I can enjoy these lenses on NEX, and if it really starts looking like never, then I can have a Leitax mount put on and enjoy them on a Sony FF SLT (where they would be very good IMHO).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well - to be honest Marc I'm not personally so fussed - If I'm going to use manual focus lenses . . . . (I know this is terrible sacrilege) . . . I'm beginning to realise I'd rather use them on a good EVF than an Optical SLR viewfinder with a mirror. Added to which I still think that Leica made the right decision in realising that they couldn't easily compete with the Nikons and Canons of this world.

What I really would like is a full frame solution from Leica which would use the R lenses - this year, next year, sometime . . . . .Here's hoping - in the meantime I can enjoy these lenses on NEX, and if it really starts looking like never, then I can have a Leitax mount put on and enjoy them on a Sony FF SLT (where they would be very good IMHO).
    Jono

David Farkas and Josh Lehrer at Dale Photo Labs did an experiment with the R 400mm APO Telyt lens on the S2. I believe the article was at their Leica forum, www.reddotforum.com. I am suggesting this to you because it may tell you (all of us) about adapting R lenses to the S2 mount. At least with the 400mm lens, the image circle was large enough for the 37mm sensor.

Just for info only

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The actual conversion and test results are here:

http://www.reddotforum.com/content.p...n-the-Leica-S2

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    The actual conversion and test results are here:

http://www.reddotforum.com/content.p...n-the-Leica-S2

Woody
    I believe the drool will never come out of my keyboard.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can imagine - what a setup.

Woody - thanks for the link .. . I guess it'll only really work for the telephotos . . .but maybe the 180 would work too?

One Day my S2 will come (or not, as the case may be )

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Marc
    The number one reason I would like a full frame digital R camera from Leica (whether optical DSLR or mirrorless body with EVF) is to have a native R-mount body, so I can switch from using my R lenses on either my R8 or a digital R body as easily as I can do that with my Canon and Nikon film and digital bodies. No messing with adapters etc. I don't want to convert my Leica R lenses with Leitax to Nikon or Sony, because I'm not willing to give up on my R8.

Gary

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Somehow, I thought you might feel that way. Looks beautiful.

The Leica S2 system (aside from being so far above my pay grade it would take a Saturn V to get me there :-) is not the direction I'm headed at present. My recent infatuation with ultra long lenses (yes, 180mm is ultra-long for me ... !) fitted to the GXR or E-5 is about as bulky as I'll get ... I think.

In the S2 direction lies madness. Or bankruptcy.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In the S2 direction lies madness. Or bankruptcy.
    HI Godfrey - there is a point where our financial considerations coincide!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The number one reason I would like a full frame digital R camera from Leica (whether optical DSLR or mirrorless body with EVF) is to have a native R-mount body, so I can switch from using my R lenses on either my R8 or a digital R body as easily as I can do that with my Canon and Nikon film and digital bodies. No messing with adapters etc. I don't want to convert my Leica R lenses with Leitax to Nikon or Sony, because I'm not willing to give up on my R8.

Gary
    HI Gary
    Although changing the mounts is obviously an issue . . . I'm not sure that a good adapter is too much of a problem - you'll still be able to change your lenses from the digital camera to your R8 without difficulty.

Of course - that's true of using the NEX now . . and it's why I'm not rushing my lenses off to Spain to get converted (Like you and Marc, I'm hoping for a full frame Leica camera . . . although I'd rather it was M mount with a classy R mount adapter than native R mount).

I don't really think that stop-down is important with an adapter . . . it would be nice to have one which transferred exif information from the lens.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, sorry to hijack the thread, but are they your apples?--the red things on the tree, not the black metal thing on your camera. Do you spray?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

. . and it's why I'm not rushing my lenses off to Spain to get converted
    Really Jono, no need sending the lot to Spain: it actually is just a piece of cake !
    I did the K-mount conversion myself for my 100/2.8

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

HI Godfrey - there is a point where our financial considerations coincide!
    lol!

well, you've infected me. i found a 2-cam Elmarit-R 180mm f/2.8 at KEH in BGN condition for $340. Add a couple of Kipon adapters (R->M, R->Fourthirds) ... call it $430. it looks to be a nice big lump of Leica glass ... will be fun to play with. be interesting to see how it makes images compared to the last Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 AI i sold. (i sold that one mostly because there was no sensible way to put it on a tripod with a small camera like the G1 ...)

the M9 will have to wait another increment. sigh. the addictive quality of camera gear is really scary. =8^0

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

lol!

well, you've infected me. i found a 2-cam Elmarit-R 180mm f/2.8 at KEH in BGN condition for $340. Add a couple of Kipon adapters (R->M, R->Fourthirds) ... call it $430. it looks to be a nice big lump of Leica glass ... will be fun to play with. be interesting to see how it makes images compared to the last Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 AI i sold. (i sold that one mostly because there was no sensible way to put it on a tripod with a small camera like the G1 ...)

the M9 will have to wait another increment. sigh. the addictive quality of camera gear is really scary. =8^0
    Congrats Godfrey! I have the 180/2.8 E67 (non-APO) and find it's much easier to hold and use, especially when mounted on smaller cameras (I've used it with my Panny G1 a few times) than the Nikkor 180/2.8 (which I also own). I think you'll really enjoy it. I just wish I could put a tripod mounting ring on it. None of my cameras have in body image stabilization.

http://slrlensreview.com/web/leica-s...ns-review.html

Gary

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The Leitax mounts are not difficult to install...that said, it's still much cheaper to adapt the R lenses to NEX instead of A77. Only one adapter required, and no screwdrivers.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Godfrey! I have the 180/2.8 E67 (non-APO) and find it's much easier to hold and use, especially when mounted on smaller cameras (I've used it with my Panny G1 a few times) than the Nikkor 180/2.8 (which I also own). I think you'll really enjoy it. I just wish I could put a tripod mounting ring on it. None of my cameras have in body image stabilization.

http://slrlensreview.com/web/leica-s...ns-review.html
    nice review!
    I hope the earlier version isn't too different.

Yes, the Nikkor was really just about hopeless on the G1, and clumsy fitted to the Panasonic L1 too. It worked much better with the Oly E-1 and E-5. I used to have one when I was shooting with the Nikon F3 and motor, at close field Motorsports events .. Much more similar to the Oly pro bodies.

I've kind of made it a policy now that any lens longer than 135mm must have some kind of tripod mounting as these small formats make them too long for effective hand holding unless the light is good enough for pretty hi shutter speeds. Longer than 135mm and I don't want to hang all the weight on the cameras tripod mount.

Now I'm all jazzed to see this lens in action... It will also be fun to see how it compares to the Micro Nikkor 200.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Really Jono, no need sending the lot to Spain: it actually is just a piece of cake !
    I did the K-mount conversion myself for my 100/2.8

Kind regards.
    Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    The Leitax mounts are not difficult to install...that said, it's still much cheaper to adapt the R lenses to NEX instead of A77. Only one adapter required, and no screwdrivers.
    Hi There Bart - Robert
    if you look at the Leitax site, they make it very clear that if you have Leica ROM lenses . . . . and you want to be able to change them back . . . then the only way is to send them in for fitting of the mount - can't remember how much the fitting is, but it is hundreds of euros.

Just this guy you know