The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M lens rumors

John Black

By pushed, do you mean over-exposing by 2 stops and pulling back in post, or by under-exposing and pushing up the exposure in post? I suspect the latter, but curious.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi John:

You are correct, it's the latter. A "push" is under-exposing and adding exposure back during processing. By contrast, over-exposing then under-developing is traditionally referred to as a "pull" ...

John Black

Hi Jack - Push or pull, it's all relative to which end you're on :) I'm interested to see how the first M8.2 feel about pushing/pulling with the updated 16-bit DNG file. And I'd really like to see that option available via firmware update for the original M8. Seems like that's possible since Leica's FAQ document states they did not see an appreciable difference. That implies the M8 can generate a 16-bit DNG.

P

pascal_meheut

It is possible because the pre-production M8 had 16 bits DNG. Leica Fotographie used one to compare with the 8 bits DNG. And found little if no difference indeed.

35mmSummicron

While I'm sure its possible via FW update to introduce true 16bit DNG files, I don't think this M8.2 press release leak is implying it will have this feature.

The M8 has ALWAYS stated in their marketing material that it shoots 16bit DNG's. That's why there was so much uproar when people discovered its actually 8bit via lookup tables. even now, if you go on leica's website and download the technical data PDF for the M8.0, it will say 16bit DNG.

http://us.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/m8/

The other challenge I believe is that **IF** Leica releases true 16bit DNG's, then ALL current raw processors on the market that read M8 files will need to be updated. (similar to when Canon came up with the sRAW format)

my two cents.
andy

Hi Jack - Push or pull, it's all relative to which end you're on :) I'm interested to see how the first M8.2 feel about pushing/pulling with the updated 16-bit DNG file. And I'd really like to see that option available via firmware update for the original M8. Seems like that's possible since Leica's FAQ document states they did not see an appreciable difference. That implies the M8 can generate a 16-bit DNG.

John Black

According to the June 2008 Leica M8 FAQ (http://us.leica-camera.com/service/downloads/rangefinder_cameras/m8/index.html) in section 1.5:

1.5 Why is RAW data stored in the 8-bit format?

The LEICA M8 is equipped with a nearly loss-free compression of the image data in the case of files in DNG format. This doubles storage speed while requiring only half of the storage capacity. During the prototype phase, tests were performed with a 16 bit version, but they did not reveal any image quality advantages. As a result, Leica opted for the 8 bit technology.

35mmSummicron

I'm all for TRUE 16bit DNG's as an option--the more *options* Leica gives current and future M8.xx users, the longer (seemingly) the lifespan the camera will have until an M9 replacement arrives.

My point is though, I don't think the new M8.2 will have this feature.....hopefully I'm wrong.