The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is RFF down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double Negative

Not Available
Last time I looked, RFF is a free service right? And so many are complaining like they paid for something...(unless you are an advertiser or have an ad in the classifieds) :confused:
Well, if you spend a lot of time on a forum and know people, are involved in discussions, etc. you've got a certain "investment" there. When it's down, it's generally... Just not good.

What the hosting provider has done is completely unacceptable on ANY level. But the people in charge of the site have really dropped the ball as well. I think it's either time to hand over the reigns or put it out of its misery (though it would be sad to lose all the information that it represents).

ryc

People should not assume anything about the service type, name server changes or anything else that only those involved would know.

There are reasons for not pointing the domain somewhere else for now. It will be done based on certain outcomes of things in motion now. This has gotten really delicate and things are not as simple as they may appear to some.

By the way, RFF is run on a "Premium" hosting plan which is not cheap. It just turns out that the provider cannot deliver on their SLA and there will be consequences.

JSRockit

Well, if you spend a lot of time on a forum and know people, are involved in discussions, etc. you've got a certain "investment" there. When it's down, it's generally... Just not good.
Well, you personally know I send a lot of time there too. But it is free and they don't have to provide anything.

I think it's either time to hand over the reigns or put it out of its misery (though it would be sad to lose all the information that it represents).
Well, you don't really mean this... I know you like the forum... unless you are secretly hoping to take over the reigns. ;)

Double Negative

Not Available
Well, you personally know I send a lot of time there too. But it is free and they don't have to provide anything.

Well, you don't really mean this... I know you like the forum... unless you are secretly hoping to take over the reigns. ;)
Oh, I know... I used to spend a lot of time there, too. But let's just say Stephen and some of the mods have managed to "curb my enthusiasm" about it. It's just a weird place in general.

It's free, as long as, like you said - you don't sponsor the site or have a classified ad there. Those are the people I have sympathy for.

As to my comment of "putting it out of its misery" - rest assured, it was sincere. There have been numerous attempts at updates (which have all failed) and now this - a week (and counting) outage without even so much as a "technical difficulties" landing page. I don't have a horse in this race and I certainly don't want the reigns - I've got my own fish to fry. ;)

No real ill will on my part (heck, I offered help several times over the years and a few posts up offered to host it temporarily). But I think some things need to change at (and behind) RFF.

monza

People should not assume anything about the service type, name server changes or anything else that only those involved would know.

There are reasons for not pointing the domain somewhere else for now. It will be done based on certain outcomes of things in motion now. This has gotten really delicate and things are not as simple as they may appear to some.

By the way, RFF is run on a "Premium" hosting plan which is not cheap. It just turns out that the provider cannot deliver on their SLA and there will be consequences.
As DNeg says, this is not new for RFF. There have been multiple outages, and continuous, on-going glitches ever since it started. Many promises have been made to get things fixed, but they never seem to pan out.

What is the reason for not having a temporary site? I assume this means something else catastrophic must have happened.... is ownership of the domain now in limbo? Otherwise this is a trivial procedure and could have been completed within minutes. I certainly hope this isn't the case...

Peter Klein

A LUG member contacted Stephen Gandy, who answered promptly. He thinks they will have RFF back up sometime today or tomorrow. The problem was hardware-related. The domain ownership is not an issue. I don't presume to speak for Stephen or RFF, so I'll refrain from speculating here. I'm sure there will be some explanation forthcoming when RFF returns to the Web.

bensonga

Someone read this thread. It's 'possoble' anyway. :)
And if there was a mistake in the spelling....they may have read your post Robert, because it's correct now! :D

"...back on line as soon as possible..."

One thing is for sure......I'll be checking out RFF in the future (especially now that I actually own a rangefinder camera).

What's that saying.....there's no such thing as bad publicity? I didn't even know RFF existed before now.

Gary

back alley

so many people with a hard on for rff...

maybe if you had invested time and energy in making it a better place...
most of the hard asses are the ones who have been banned or had a run in with stephen...kick 'em when hes down...class acts all!

as far as horses in the race...some, i think, are not so sincere and just might be happy about all this...maybe their sites will gain some action now...more power to you and i hope you drag all these lovely positive folks with you.

the net just sucks some days...

uhoh7

To me, RFF is the most interesting photography forum, bar none.

I was banned within about 48 hours of joining, having to do with offering to change someone's diapers-- but i begged forgiveness etc and have enjoyed the place immensely ever since :)

Brian S

If you look at the revenue generated for a site- hard to see why anyone would put up with the headache of running the site, let alone some of the trouble-makers that visit the site. Stephen runs a business, but has a true love of rangefinder cameras. Gotta be the only reason that he does it.

I like tinkering with cameras, and posting DIY for others.

One thing for sure- the lenses that I worked on go for a lot more on this forum than what I put them up for at RFF.

monza

I have been a member of RFF for over four years, and visit it regularly. I also support the site with classified advertising and also brought on-going sponsor advertising to Stephen. I stated that it would be a shame if the valuable information there was lost. I support RFF, i just don't understand how or why it takes 8 days to put up a notice for members, let alone getting the site back up. This is internet 2011, not 1993. :)

Stephen goes to the trouble of RFF because it's a great ad vehicle for Cameraquest, and for this reason alone it makes no sense that the site was mis-managed (whatever the reason) to be dead this long.

This thread would not be here, if people didn't care about it! And I'm glad to see it has piqued the interest of possible new members.

Just my 2 centavos. :)

M5-Guy

I also have been an RFF member for a few years... the Classifieds are Tops, and I have sold and bought many things there. The thing I like most though, is the long winded and interesting photography discussions.

RFF has much more "Topic" partiapation then any photography related site to date... I Exclude DPR because those topics turn into Gear Wars with personal insults in every other post, once it gets stated...

uhoh7

If you look at the revenue generated for a site- hard to see why anyone would put up with the headache of running the site, let alone some of the trouble-makers that visit the site. Stephen runs a business, but has a true love of rangefinder cameras. Gotta be the only reason that he does it.

I like tinkering with cameras, and posting DIY for others.

One thing for sure- the lenses that I worked on go for a lot more on this forum than what I put them up for at RFF.
You are one of the great assets of RFF---and there are many. Even a pig headed fellow like me has learned so much--and continues to learn every time I go back.

I've had one pre-concieved notion after the next stripped away at RFF. That last long thread on M9 durability was fantastic--with the links to "645 days" or however many--I can't look it up, darn it!

I don't have an M9 yet--and may never be able to swing it, but I do have a 28/2 summicron on the way :)

anyway, here's hoping that fantastic resource recovers soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.