Is the RFF site down for days??

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Is RFF down?

seems to be - yes

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, I was wondering whether that was my internet problem.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had trouble accessing RFF since about Friday. I guess their server ate too much turkey!

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto ...

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Meh. Whatever.

Post Thanks / Like

The physical server itself has failed and the hosting facility which is a major hosting facility is pretty much AWOL. I am guessing too much turkey. Probably the worst customer support I have ever seen in the industry. I am almost certain some changes will be coming after this is resolved.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Can they be a major hosting facility with this kind of 'service?' This is really not all that difficult to address. If a backup exists, it might take a day, or two at most. Shame if that wasn't done, there is a lot of valuable info there.

Post Thanks / Like

What a nightmare. Hope they are able to get this sorted without losing a lot of data!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hope they are back soon. I've been waiting to read Stephen Gandy's comparison of the M9, NEX-5N, and Ricoh GXR with RF lenses. It was supposed to have been published last week.
    Carl
    Gallery

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Thankfully, there are alternatives.

Post Thanks / Like

This is clearly a low line hosting package. Day 5 of an outage...incredible.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried signing up at lavidaleica but I can't read the scribble at the end of the sign up.

Quote Originally Posted by kdemas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Negative View Post
    Thankfully, there are alternatives.
    My Photography Blog here

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ampguy View Post
    I tried signing up at lavidaleica but I can't read the scribble at the end of the sign up.
    I just looked at it again - you're right, that is pretty heinous. Stupid anti-spam CAPTCHA. Doesn't work anyway!

I've changed it to just have new folks spell "Leica." We'll see how that works out.

Try now!

ItsReallyDarren

There is a good amount of cached pages saved from RFF. Search through google to show the results from rangefinderforum.com and when you find a link that comes close to what your searching for, hold your mouse over the double arrow [>>] and click on the "cached" link to show a saved copy of the page.

Note you can't post obviously but can still search out some info.

Post Thanks / Like

They had problems that weren't addressed very quickly (if at all) when people started to migrate to Windows 7, nothing serious, just showing a lack of forethought and testing. I wonder if this is a true wake up call?

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Data is backed up. No worries there. It is Monday afternoon and they are just looking into it. They have not even bothered looking at the physical server for since last Thursday!

The hosting facility is a joke. This should have been resolved within hours and not days.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed. But even at this point they can redirect the nameservers to a simple wordpress blog or something to provide updates...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, the death of RFF? So sad that it's been a week, and not much action....I am sure that they will be up, but dependability would be my concern over the next few months....
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

still.................

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ampguy View Post
    You're all set.

JamesH

Hi Double Neg,
    Leicas are fine and good (I have two, one screw mount, one M) but do the intertoobs really need another Leica circle jerk?

There's so much more to range-finder photography than that.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

That's rather crude...

RFF *still* doesn't even have as much as a name server update...pathetic.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
    Hi Double Neg,
    Leicas are fine and good (I have two, one screw mount, one M) but do the intertoobs really need another Leica circle jerk?

There's so much more to range-finder photography than that.
    Well, if that's what you plan to bring to the site, you can refrain from joining.

The site is about much more than that. It's Leica themed, sure - but it's certainly not a "Leica über alles" circle jerk as you imply. It's a site for Leica users, but the vibe of it comes down to its leadership and its members. That is, "it is what you make it."

Get in there and set a good example, hmmm?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the latest from stephen...

techs still dealing with server problems
    we hope to have the site up by tomorow nite.

unbelievably bad tech support from a large hosting company promising 24/7 365 support

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update, Joe. I've been disappointed in the hosting for my sites on occasion, but this is outrageous.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, I would offer to host RFF until you guys get your back-end fixed (assuming it's Apache/MySQL/PHP or similar Unix).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdemas View Post
    They get what they deserve.

Outages at rff are very common. They happen about 4-6 times a year. Yeah, they probably chose the free hosting package.

That place is run like a circus on so many levels.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Who has access to the domain name? I would hope Stephen. Takes only a minute or two to update the nameserver to a temporary site with a notice for members. Why would this take a week??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by back alley View Post
    the latest from stephen...

techs still dealing with server problems
    we hope to have the site up by tomorow nite.

unbelievably bad tech support from a large hosting company promising 24/7 365 support
    thanks for the update, joe.

Post Thanks / Like

You're all set.
    I have to wait for admin to allow me to be part of the group

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    They get what they deserve.

Outages at rff are very common. They happen about 4-6 times a year. Yeah, they probably chose the free hosting package.

Is it true? It is hard to believe. RFF makes money from the classified and the sponserships. If RFF uses the free/cheap hosting package, it's time to invest more money in their hosting system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Who has access to the domain name? I would hope Stephen. Takes only a minute or two to update the nameserver to a temporary site with a notice for members. Why would this take a week??
    ^this

leaving rangefinderforum.com pointing to an internet black hole for a week is.. odd

they may need to bring in a techy to manage things like this/avoid future issues
    blog
    steve

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wjlapier View Post
    I have to wait for admin to allow me to be part of the group
    Whaddya mean? You're in like Flynn, brother.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Advertisers should not be pleased with the site going down over the biggest purchasing week of the year. Day 8, still the domain points nowhere. Amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

Day 8, still the domain points nowhere. Amazing.
    Agreed. What a fiasco. It would take a few minutes to repoint the domain to a simple page with an explanation and apology (it would take about another 5-10 minutes to add a few key sponsor/advertiser banners).

Maybe time for Stephen Gandy to hand the website over to someone else that can do it justice?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    Certainly seems to be. A real shame because RFF had become a very useful online resource.

Post Thanks / Like

Whaddya mean? You're in like Flynn, brother.
    Yea!

Post Thanks / Like

Last time I looked, RFF is a free service right? And so many are complaining like they paid for something...(unless you are an advertiser or have an ad in the classifieds)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

google is free too, I wonder how many people would complain if it were down for 8 straight days.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSRockit View Post
    Last time I looked, RFF is a free service right? And so many are complaining like they paid for something...(unless you are an advertiser or have an ad in the classifieds)
    Well, if you spend a lot of time on a forum and know people, are involved in discussions, etc. you've got a certain "investment" there. When it's down, it's generally... Just not good.

What the hosting provider has done is completely unacceptable on ANY level. But the people in charge of the site have really dropped the ball as well. I think it's either time to hand over the reigns or put it out of its misery (though it would be sad to lose all the information that it represents).

Post Thanks / Like

People should not assume anything about the service type, name server changes or anything else that only those involved would know.

There are reasons for not pointing the domain somewhere else for now. It will be done based on certain outcomes of things in motion now. This has gotten really delicate and things are not as simple as they may appear to some.

By the way, RFF is run on a "Premium" hosting plan which is not cheap. It just turns out that the provider cannot deliver on their SLA and there will be consequences.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if you spend a lot of time on a forum and know people, are involved in discussions, etc. you've got a certain "investment" there. When it's down, it's generally... Just not good.
    Well, you personally know I send a lot of time there too. But it is free and they don't have to provide anything.

I think it's either time to hand over the reigns or put it out of its misery (though it would be sad to lose all the information that it represents).
    Well, you don't really mean this... I know you like the forum... unless you are secretly hoping to take over the reigns.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSRockit View Post
    Well, you personally know I send a lot of time there too. But it is free and they don't have to provide anything.

Well, you don't really mean this... I know you like the forum... unless you are secretly hoping to take over the reigns.
    Oh, I know... I used to spend a lot of time there, too. But let's just say Stephen and some of the mods have managed to "curb my enthusiasm" about it. It's just a weird place in general.

It's free, as long as, like you said - you don't sponsor the site or have a classified ad there. Those are the people I have sympathy for.

As to my comment of "putting it out of its misery" - rest assured, it was sincere. There have been numerous attempts at updates (which have all failed) and now this - a week (and counting) outage without even so much as a "technical difficulties" landing page. I don't have a horse in this race and I certainly don't want the reigns - I've got my own fish to fry.

No real ill will on my part (heck, I offered help several times over the years and a few posts up offered to host it temporarily). But I think some things need to change at (and behind) RFF.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ryc View Post
    People should not assume anything about the service type, name server changes or anything else that only those involved would know.

There are reasons for not pointing the domain somewhere else for now. It will be done based on certain outcomes of things in motion now. This has gotten really delicate and things are not as simple as they may appear to some.

By the way, RFF is run on a "Premium" hosting plan which is not cheap. It just turns out that the provider cannot deliver on their SLA and there will be consequences.
    As DNeg says, this is not new for RFF. There have been multiple outages, and continuous, on-going glitches ever since it started. Many promises have been made to get things fixed, but they never seem to pan out.

What is the reason for not having a temporary site? I assume this means something else catastrophic must have happened.... is ownership of the domain now in limbo? Otherwise this is a trivial procedure and could have been completed within minutes. I certainly hope this isn't the case...

Post Thanks / Like

A LUG member contacted Stephen Gandy, who answered promptly. He thinks they will have RFF back up sometime today or tomorrow. The problem was hardware-related. The domain ownership is not an issue. I don't presume to speak for Stephen or RFF, so I'll refrain from speculating here. I'm sure there will be some explanation forthcoming when RFF returns to the Web.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

At least there's a landing page up now with a notice. Progress is afoot.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Someone read this thread. It's 'possoble' anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Someone read this thread. It's 'possoble' anyway.
    And if there was a mistake in the spelling....they may have read your post Robert, because it's correct now!

"...back on line as soon as possible..."

One thing is for sure......I'll be checking out RFF in the future (especially now that I actually own a rangefinder camera).

What's that saying.....there's no such thing as bad publicity? I didn't even know RFF existed before now.

Gary

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, RFF being down has been good for La Vida Leica!