Site Sponsors

Thread: HELP - LEICA R LENS ON SONY a900

Post Thanks / Like

HELP - LEICA R LENS ON SONY a900

If someone could help me I would greatly appreciate it. I received my Leica R 50/1.4 that was adapted for my Sony a900. I sent the lens to Leitax in Spain for the adaptation because I am not mechanically inclined. David at Leitax also put the chip (from China) on the lens for me so I could use all of the camera's modes.

When I mounted the lens onto the body I noticed that the focus ring was very tight, especially about midway between close up and infinity. Thinking that the lens was older and had been sitting a bit, I gently turned the focusing ring back and forth, from close up to infinity and back, several times. Well, on the last turn, it loosened up, and yup, you guessed it, the lens no longer focuses. The focus stops at the closest focal point and at infinity, so the focus ring does not spin like a top.

Is there anyone out there that can help me get this lens to the right repairperson? Is there anyone out there who can tell me what happened to the lens, in laymans' terms, other than "you broke the lens!"? Can this lens be repaired?

Ideally I would like the lens fixed with the adapter on it, but if I can't I will settle for the lens being repaired properly.

Can anyone help me?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HELP - LEICA R LENS ON SONY a900

I meant to say that the focus ring does not spin for 360 degrees but it stops where it should. It is just that the lens does not focus at all.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sounds to me like David at Leitax is your man (at least in the first instance).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Sounds to me like David at Leitax is your man (at least in the first instance).
    +1

Post Thanks / Like

The focussing helix needs to be replaced.

Post Thanks / Like

Or merely relubricated... They bind very easily when the lubricant has dried up. Provided you don't force it, the lens should recover easily with some new grease.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thrice View Post
    Or merely relubricated... They bind very easily when the lubricant has dried up. Provided you don't force it, the lens should recover easily with some new grease.
    My experience has been that if the ring is turning freely and the lens does not focus it's not a lubrication problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    My experience has been that if the ring is turning freely and the lens does not focus it's not a lubrication problem.
    Sorry I misread. Yeah that sounds like the helical screws either breaking or stripping. I don't know the anatomy of the older 50mm summilux-R at all so I can only speculate. Hopefully it's a reasonable repair.