The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

m9 high iso and print size

gooomz

does pushing the iso of the m9 to say 1600, 2000 or even 2500 even matter so much when only printing 8x12 full frame images?

is the noise that evident in full frame 8x12 prints or is iso noise much more evident at larger print sizes?

Brian S

It should look fine- if you would print Kodacolor 400 or Tri-X at that size, ISO 2500 should not be a problem.

ISO 2500, Nokton 50/1.1 wide-open on the M9:

100% crop, more like a "Poster size" enlargement. A 72" screen would be required to view the full image at this resolution.

Last edited:

JSRockit

Well, we all know that noise can look fine in some photos and horrible in others (just as grain can in film). There are no absolutes, but some high ISO photos from the M9 will look fantastic... and others, not so much.

Shashin

Sure it does...since noise limits detail.
That makes no difference in print size. Images don't change because of size--there is no change in the information that is contained in them. The noise won't increase nor decrease.

JSRockit

That makes no difference in print size. Images don't change because of size--there is no change in the information that is contained in them. The noise won't increase nor decrease.
A photo from an M9 at ISO 160 will hold up better when printing at larger sizes than at ISO 2500. The noise does not increase in volume (but will in size just as grain does), but the increase in noise at 2500 (as compared to 160) will not hold the same amount of detail as the ISO 160 photo. So there is always a change in the amount of detail and dynamic range the further you go away from the native ISO. Have you printed photos from an M9 at 160 and at 2500 in large sizes (say 13x19 or larger)? I have and the 160 ones hold up a lot better generally speaking.

Also, I would argue that images do change because of size... not the content obviously, but the "defects" within images are amplified more and more as one goes larger and larger.

Shashin

Viewing distance is equal to the diagonal of the image. As the image size changes, so does the viewing distance. This is a relative problem, not an absolute one.

ISO 160 images will have less noise. ISO 2500 images will have more noise. Print size will not change that.

JSRockit

Viewing distance is equal to the diagonal of the image. As the image size changes, so does the viewing distance. This is a relative problem, not an absolute one.
I agree.

ISO 160 images will have less noise. ISO 2500 images will have more noise. Print size will not change that.
I never said it would...

Shashin

Sorry, not being clear. Noise is just the result of the process and will be inherent in the image. At a standard viewing distance, it will be just as obvious regardless of print size. I print all kinds of images on 44" large-format printers. Quite a few of my "clients" come in saying a particular image can only be such and such a size because of pixels/noise/the force/etc. I have yet to have anyone leave believing an image is limited to a particular print size.

JSRockit

Sorry, not being clear. Noise is just the result of the process and will be inherent in the image. At a standard viewing distance, it will be just as obvious regardless of print size. I print all kinds of images on 44" large-format printers. Quite a few of my "clients" come in saying a particular image can only be such and such a size because of pixels/noise/the force/etc. I have yet to have anyone leave believing an image is limited to a particular print size.
I can understand that. My line of thinking is that there will be more detail in a ISO 160 print than a ISO 2500 print of the same size...so sticklers for IQ may not like what they see in a large print at ISO 2500. Of course, people have made billboards with older digital cameras with only a few megapixels so it can be done (and done well enough). It just depends on your expectations is what I meant.

Brian S

ISO 2500, uncompressed DNG, Leica M9. Converted to JPEG Straight from Lightroom 3.5, resized using PS7.0.

I'm really surprised that the large areas of Black in this image do not show pattern noise. The latest versions of Lightroom seem to have greatly improved noise reduction.

1938 Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm f1.5 Sonnar "T", converted to Leica Mount.

100% crop.

Not bad for a 73 year old lens.