Site Sponsors

Thread: M-mount VC Color Skopar build

Post Thanks / Like

M-mount VC Color Skopar build

Hi all, I purchased a used (9) 21mm color skopar from B&H and am considering returning it for mechanical condition. I like the lens, and would likely purchase it new upon return of this one. What I am wondering is if I am being overly picky about build and if the new one will be the same as this used one.

My only other VC experience is with the 28/2, which I find to be a very nice lens. Smooth focus, decent aperture ring, sharp in close at f2. Everything I could ask for at the price.

As far as the 21, The glass is fine, but the aperture ring is very loose and easy to bump around. Moves *very* easily. It also has a small amount of fore-aft play. The focus ring is stiff. There is no binding anywhere, but it is nothing like the 28/2.

Is this similar to other peoples M-mount skopars?
    Last edited by NicholasRab; 2nd December 2011 at 06:17.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: M-mount VC Color Skopar build

I have owned a 21mm Skopar. The focus had a nice amount of friction and the aperture ring seemed smooth but held its place.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

My Skopar 21mm f/4 has the same feel of smooth operation, just the right friction on the focusing ring, light but secure click stops on the aperture as the Ultron 28mm f/2 I bought at the same time. It images beautifully. I bought both lenses new.

It sounds to me that the used Skopar 21 you acquired, while in cosmetically good condition, may have been dropped and its tolerances have been altered. I'd return it in exchange for a new one.

Post Thanks / Like

My 21/4 skopar has smooth focus, but the aperture ring moves easily if I bump it.

I like the lens so much I won't replace it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    My Skopar 21mm f/4 has the same feel of smooth operation, just the right friction on the focusing ring, light but secure click stops on the aperture....
    +1 about my Skopar 21/4P (M mount). Great little lens indeed.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, think I will return it. Thanks for the feedback. Fair warning to the next purchaser of it from B&H (if they happen to be in this forum).