The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M-mount VC Color Skopar build

NicholasRab

Hi all, I purchased a used (9) 21mm color skopar from B&H and am considering returning it for mechanical condition. I like the lens, and would likely purchase it new upon return of this one. What I am wondering is if I am being overly picky about build and if the new one will be the same as this used one.

My only other VC experience is with the 28/2, which I find to be a very nice lens. Smooth focus, decent aperture ring, sharp in close at f2. Everything I could ask for at the price.

As far as the 21, The glass is fine, but the aperture ring is very loose and easy to bump around. Moves *very* easily. It also has a small amount of fore-aft play. The focus ring is stiff. There is no binding anywhere, but it is nothing like the 28/2.

Is this similar to other peoples M-mount skopars?

Last edited:

Shashin

I have owned a 21mm Skopar. The focus had a nice amount of friction and the aperture ring seemed smooth but held its place.

Godfrey

My Skopar 21mm f/4 has the same feel of smooth operation, just the right friction on the focusing ring, light but secure click stops on the aperture as the Ultron 28mm f/2 I bought at the same time. It images beautifully. I bought both lenses new.

It sounds to me that the used Skopar 21 you acquired, while in cosmetically good condition, may have been dropped and its tolerances have been altered. I'd return it in exchange for a new one.

wjlapier

My 21/4 skopar has smooth focus, but the aperture ring moves easily if I bump it.

I like the lens so much I won't replace it.

LCT

My Skopar 21mm f/4 has the same feel of smooth operation, just the right friction on the focusing ring, light but secure click stops on the aperture....
+1 about my Skopar 21/4P (M mount). Great little lens indeed.

NicholasRab

Yeah, think I will return it. Thanks for the feedback. Fair warning to the next purchaser of it from B&H (if they happen to be in this forum).