The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone using the RRS generic L-Bracket on an M8?

Terry

Hi John,
I just ordered it this week. I've hear others like it. There is a picture of it on the M8 in Jack's gallery.

Maggie O

I'm obviously an ignoramus, but what are they used for and what, aside from a computer term, is "RSS?"

Terry

I'm obviously an ignoramus, but what are they used for and what, aside from a computer term, is "RSS?"
LOL,
I went through this about a month ago as I started on a new tripod journey and was lost after the first couple of posts on the tripods/ballhead thread

RRS = Really Right Stuff a company that makes ball heads and other tripod goodies.

The L bracket is essentially a quick release plate that is attached to the camera on the bottom but it in an L shape and continues along the side of the camera. It allows you to leave the tripod set as is and flip the camera from Landscape to portrait. No moving the ballhead and having to recompose the shot.

Go to reallyrightstuff.com there is a video clip on their site

Terry

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
RRS generic L-bracket on normal flat M8 base, RRS BP-CS on the grip base:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Isn't that a 50 Lux with built-in shade? What is the shade you are using on it?
Hi Carsten:

Yes, that's a Lux with sliding hood and that's the Heavystar cheapie screw-in metal hood on eBay. I think I paid like $14 with a cap.

Cheers,

PeterA

I only learned about RRS from from this forum - one of many interesting and useful pointers from people who know what they are talking about. Can't recommend the RRS site enough. I have placed my order for an L bracket for the M8/a standard system for the Alpa and Hasselblad as well as couple of ball heads.

Apart from having the right gear to use a tripod properly - the L bracket in particular makes for very easy tripod mounting for stitched panoramics in vertical shot mode.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
You might also want to take a look at Kirk Photo too - Kirk and RRS sometimes enter into a bracket 'arms race' and some Kirk items work better than their RRS alternatives & vice versa.

Both are excellent.