The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Overview of the M System

hunghang

I wish this article was around when I started getting into RF/Leicas. Better late than never. I enjoyed this article. Thanks.

Double Negative

Not Available
Thanks a lot, guys! :)

Wanting a simple rundown of the models was exactly the inspiration for writing it... I figured it would definitely help people (besides just myself) in deciding on one body over another, etc. I'll keep updating it with more info as time goes on of course. Perhaps adding model-specific sub-pages containing ALL the details...

J

JohnBuckley

Double Negative - thanks for this public service. What happened between 1975 and 1978? Did the M5 just stick around without sales or did Leica's energies shift to the R system?

Double Negative

Not Available
Thanks, John!

A little of both, actually. The M5 was floundering - true Leica shooters didn't care for it so much and the sales numbers were disappointing. The R system was a bit of a distraction as well, but gaining some ground. It was the M4-2 that brought Leica back from the dead at that point.

ChrisN

Excellent! Very important to those of us who wear spectacles! I probably missed the reference to VF mag in the M8 information.