The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 and lenses guilt!

Moonshine

When I read this forum I realize the majority of folks who have the M digital system are accomplished photographers that generate income via this hobby too. I'm a novice who is still learning about photography and often feel that it's such an expensive hobby (I'm not super rich by any means) to invest so much in and not make a dime from it.
Sometimes I think sell it all and get a micro 4/3 system instead. Any thoughts or advice?
Any one else who just has a M9 and Leica lenses just as a hobby?

dannh

Often I've thought that there are more hobbyists with M9s that pro's. Maybe because pro photographers don't always make the big bucks. Maybe because not many pros can make a living with an M9. For whatever reason, there aren't all that many pros using M9's, but there are many many other people, call them hobbyists if you want, using M9s.

250swb

I think you are denegrating the idea of 'hobby'. Some people work hard at terrible jobs just so they can fund their hobby whether it is mountaineering or photography,... or golf :)rolleyes:).

Hobbiests do not have to be any less serious than somebody who does the activity for a living, in fact they can often exceed a professional because they don't have the same constraints of earning money from it. So enjoy your M9, you earned it as much as any pro.

Steve

iiiNelson

I'm a hobbyist, M9-P owner, and I agree. Buy what you like and can afford. Consequently I own a Micro 4/3 and Sony NEX-5 as well. I prefer the lenses for Micro 4/3. Sony give better low light performance. I would choose neither over the M9. They're in 2 different leagues altogether but that's not to say you can't take great pictures with the others because I've taken some of my favorites with the G1.

My job isn't a professional photographer but it supports my hobbies to include Golf too.

thrice

It's funny, I get a hard time on Australian forums for even owning an M9! I think the term "wanker" was used liberally referring to all Leica users (and not light heartedly), purely because I have one.

LCT

Hobby or not the good question IMO is to ask yourself if you need a rangefinder.

B

BCMielke

I don't know as your going to be happy with the m4/3 system after using an M9! They are two different type of systems! If your only concern is that you have spent too much money and you have it. Enjoy the camera guilt free.

retow

I started with an M6 a couple of years ago, followed by M8 (actually 2 of them), MP and M9. I "lost" a lot of money with the digital bodies, but all the Leica m-lenses and the MP (the M6 I sold at no loss) I bought over the years sell now at significantly higher prices than what I payed (I selectively bought "used in mint condition", except for 1 lens which was new) easily compensating for the losses on the digital bodies. So yes, it's a lot of money tied up in the system, thus its costly, yet not expensive as the money invested could be recovered and then some. So unless you need the cash or have better use for it, enjoy your M9 and lenses. As nice as mft or other mirrorless systems maybe, they will not give you the same satisfaction as the M system does and they are all expensive, in the true sense of the technical term, since they loose value quickly.

V

Vivek

Unless you are into the buy and sell thing and are good at that, Leica (or any other) system is not an "investment". Gold purchase, a while ago, would have returned much more than Leica glass (or any other system glass).

There is nothing that can be made using Leica gear alone that can not be done with many others.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
...a novice who is still learning about photography and often feel ...to invest so much. Any thoughts or advice?

During my training I had a chief who had been raised in Japan...came to the US and ended up the head of an Anesthesia Department at a major university medical center in the Midwest. He always hosted a conversation and dinner for students that centered on finding a passion in life that allowed you to weather the stress of your profession. He and his wife were concert level pianists and art collectors...she a respected painter. His point was that one all too often spends a large amount of time without focus away from work and life is too short not to accomplish something in addition to your profession...that effort should be one that renews you and allows you to stay alert oriented and clear.

Many of us here are probably on this path knowingly or not. At times it can be expensive but money is not the key to knowledge nor competence.

It does sound like you have made a major sacrifice to enter at a very high level...as a novice you may find the system limiting...no macro (well a limited form) long telephoto nor the ability to play with a zoom that helps you learn (marginally) depth and perspective in a short time. You can use the M system to great efffect...just look at the pictures displayed here...but it limits your ability to play.

I have been in and out of the M system multiple times over the past 35 years...I always come back as nothing else conveys the sense of reality that I see in its crystal clear capture of the moment. Less intrusive...very personal and very close. You will lose all of that in another system...non-RF.

If you decide to sell I would recommend that you keep one lens and perhaps buy a GXR M mount or a Novoflex for the m43. I assume that you will return and this will make your entry back a little less difficult.

Sorry for the run-on...just some thoughts.

Bob

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am in the M system since 25 years now, M6, M7, MP and had the M8 which I sold because it had several flaws. Unfortunately I still do not have a M9, as there was always something more important to spend my money. Now I am patiently waiting for the M10 in order to again be able to use all my M lens collection, which I built up over the past 25 years.

I would never sell my M system. I have sold all other systems multiple times (sure lost too much money) but I would always keep my M! Just because it is the best system for me and my photography purposes I could get. And IQ is stunning (well if all works fine which was unfortunately not the case with the M8)

But the M10 will be the perfect M camera - I know ;)

Shashin

I try to measure my life by the satisfaction I derive from it rather than how much money I save pursuing it. As long as you are no selling your kids to buy your equipment (and some here may take issue with such a soft approach), why not have an M9?

Now if you are worried about gear snobs that like to dismiss Leica as toys for the rich, put a Nikon logo on the front. Personally, if the person is knocking me for my belongings, that really puts their opinion in perspective and whether it is worth my time for a response.

As you go though life, the birds of the air will $h1t on you; don't bother to wipe it off...

Godfrey

If you are intent on learning photography, buy and use whatever motivates you to learn more. It makes no difference whether you are a pro or amateur, whether you make any money from the effort, or whether your desired camera is expensive or not. Accept the fact that having an expensive camera does not make your photography any better, and give up the false notion that what others think about your owning a Leica means anything at all.

You'll be happier and will do more good photography if whatever you buy to use does not constantly remind you of how much it costs with the fear of losing it. Be patient, buy within your means, and abandon yourself to the photography not the camera.

For some, a Leica M itself is a Thing of Beauty that motivates their learning. There's value in that, but it is dangerous to let that be the most important thing.

What I enjoy about working with the M is its simplicity and lack of distraction. That's worth a lot to me, so I'll buy an M digital soon. I could buy it tomorrow; I'll be a little more comfortable spending the money in three months. In the meantime, I'm quite happy concentrating on Photography and working with the excellent equipment I already have.

Moonshine

thanks Bob..you are right i have made some big sacrifices to invest in this system but after reading every ones responses i feel a whole lot better about it.
Whats life without any passions right?

Thank you everyone for your responses :))

seakayaker

Amateur having fun!

I started a with a GF1 a couple of years ago and soon began using manual focus lens with adaptors on the micro four/thirds camera. I really started enjoying the manual focus lens over the autofocus. I soon wanted to get away from autofocus and learn more about light, focus, aperture, exposure, composure and to slow down instead of just snapping shots.

No guilt involved in pursuing a hobby that is bringing a lot of joy and recently enrolled in a 9 month photography program. Out of a group of 21 I am the only one that is working with a Leica film and digital camera. I am having a blast.

Pursue the course in life that will make you happy!

Good luck with your choice, I do not believe there is a wrong decision.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Getting better at photography takes effort. Anything to make that effort more pleasurable or satisfying or even simply more *likely* is all to the good. Using a Leica is not easy for me, but it forces me to think, and so the improvement is satisfying and the results can be stunning.

Speaking of guilt, I still haven't told my wife about the 28 Cron.... uh oh.:rolleyes:

Matt

Brian S

Congratulations on your M9, and I am sure you will enjoy it.

no need for guilt trips.

If my wife doesn't get mad at me for buying three 50mm lenses in Leica mount this week, no one has a reason to get mad at anyone buying camera gear.

and I certainly don't feel guilty.