The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Does a Thumbs Up really help?

peterc

it feels much more ergonomic and more stable (dunno if its in head only tho) so i would say go for it!

seakayaker

Yes, they are worth putting on the M9. I carry the M9 in my right hand when out taking photographs with a the strap wrapped around my wrist. It is easy to walk along with the thumb resting against the thumps up with a more relaxed grip on the camera then walking with about with the thumps up.

You can pick one up from Tim Issac directly from his web site
http://matchtechnical.com/default.aspx

. . . . . or from the Popflash Photo link above.

Check out the soft releases as well . . . . .

gwg

Definitely worth it! At least for me it really stabilized the camera for low shutter speed shots that were impossible before - throw in a soft-release button and it's really hard to beat!

S

shootinglulu

The usability of the m9 is vastly improved by the thumbs up imo.

SYGTAFOTO

I didn't like the heft of the thumbs-up.. Kind of funny to talk about bulk of thumbs-up, but if you don't plan on using a half case, a thumbie is much better because it's much smaller and simple... oh and it's much cheaper.. If I remember correctly it was $25 or so.

Moonshine

I didn't like the heft of the thumbs-up.. Kind of funny to talk about bulk of thumbs-up, but if you don't plan on using a half case, a thumbie is much better because it's much smaller and simple... oh and it's much cheaper.. If I remember correctly it was $25 or so.
i do have a half case...a zhou...bought it on this forum :)
so a thumb or a thumbs up?

SYGTAFOTO

Thumbie wraps around the rounded surface on the right hand side. Therefore, the thumbie gets in the way of the half case. If you are planning on using a half case, then it's best to go with a thumbs-up. If you don't plan on using a half case, I recommend a thumbie. I don't use a half case because it adds bulk, so I went with a thumbie.

Moonshine

now that i have the case and do use it i guess i should get the thumbs up..there are a couple of models like an ep1 and csep...which one works best with the M9? Also i don't have large hands as I'm a woman (and definitely in the minority here!) so which one to get?
thanks again

SYGTAFOTO

The size in your hand is the same which ever one you get.. as you need to mount it on the hot shoe, you would lose the ability to mount a flash.

With ep-1, you can't mount a flash or an external viewfinder.

With csep-1, it comes with a cold mount where you can mount an external viewfinder.

With csep-4, it comes with 2 cold mount where you can mount 2 external viewfinders.

Moonshine

So I read up more and it seems that the thumbie may be better as you say. Some folks wrote that it puts too much pressure on the hot shoe etc...