The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Does a Thumbs Up really help?

wells_dc

I'll add another vote for the Thumbie. It's unobtrusive -- almost invisible on the black M9 -- yet secure and provides desirable grip leverage. The workmanship is excellent, and it cost less than half of the TU.

Godfrey

I use a ThumbsUp EP-1 with a Luigi half case with "full" grip and the ergonomics are wonderful for my hand (slender, longer fingers). As you note, Luigi will provide a cut-out for the ThumbsUp that works with the shorter versions, but has extra stitching in place to allow you to cut out a little more leather to fit the longer ThumbsUp model (3?) if you have a smaller hand.
I was referring to customizing a Luigi case for the Thumbie.

sirimiri

Which is to say:

(ahem) "Leica, it is perhaps time to countenance an ergonomic improvement to the valuable M-line".

I have the TU mod 1 and enjoy the extra "hooking" grip it gives. Though in a tight bag sometimes it's a bother.

Godfrey

I've now had the M9 for several weeks and been using the Thumbie on it off and on. The Thumbie is very nicely designed, fits beautifully. I like it more than putting the Thumbs Up in the flash shoe as it leaves the top of the camera smooth. Great job, Steve!

It is nice to have a thumb rest, occasionally. However, I find I don't stabilize the camera as well that way. My hands are large, the M9 is small and a little slick ... the Thumbie fits better when you have smaller hands, I think. Thinking back, I never rest my thumb on the wind lever with the M4-2 either: it's in the way. I fold it in when I'm making the exposure and pull it out to wind the camera.

What I need is a little more meat to the body of the camera, where it rests in my hands, and a less-slick surface. With the M4-2, the A&A half case provides the right grip. The Luigi half-case (the reversed leather style) I ordered for the M9 will do the job for me.

lamlux

I love mine, totally changed how the camera feels in the hand.
The M8 feels thicker than film M's and with this it allows me to hold the camera steadier once again like the film M's.

Photolife2010

Yes, it does. I just got mine today. At first, I didn't really get used it. Now I feel like that it's a critical part for holding the camera. One handed camera holding is definitely a possibility now.

Godfrey

A follow-up: My Luigi half-case arrived Friday and I had a chance to go shooting for a bit on Saturday.

Perfection. This is exactly what my hands needed to be 100% comfortable and secure with the M9. It now has the secure and fluid feel in use that I was looking for.

Moonshine

I FINALLY got my thumbs up and i have to say..makes all the difference and thank you to everyone who advised for it!!!

Armanius

Congrats Moonshine! I got a Thumbs Up about a week ago. It made a big difference for me. Combined with my Zhou case's bean shaped front grip, it makes the M9 easier to hold.

Double Negative

Not Available
Congrats! I admit I was skeptical at first but once I started shooting with with it... You'll really start to appreciate it with longer/heavier lenses, when the camera's hanging at arms length with your finger on the trigger (ala street) or just for a more stable grip in lower light. I've got one on both the M8 and M9. :)

dreamsartart

I got the THUMBS Up CSEP mod 1 shortly after getting the M9. With my Film Leicas having the film advance and my thumb hooked under it had always made it feel more secure so it seemed a natural addition. Plus the model I bought had a accessory shoe so adding an external finder was an option.

It was on my camera all the time with the only negatives being when the camera was on my side (strap across the chest usually is how I have the camera on) the thump up dug a bit into my ribs, and the high profile of the accessory shoe wasn't so slick looking.

Lately I haven't had it on. Its kind of gone the way of soft releases and camera cases. They do their job, but I can get along without them.