Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does a Thumbs Up really help?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Does a Thumbs Up really help?

Was thinking about getting one...does it really help in gripping the m9 better or am i wasting money?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does a Thumbs Up really help?

it feels much more ergonomic and more stable (dunno if its in head only tho) so i would say go for it!

Post Thanks / Like

I advise to get one

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Wrong forum.

Wrote up a bit here: http://lavidaleica.com/content/m-sys...cessories#ergo

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, they are worth putting on the M9. I carry the M9 in my right hand when out taking photographs with a the strap wrapped around my wrist. It is easy to walk along with the thumb resting against the thumps up with a more relaxed grip on the camera then walking with about with the thumps up.

You can pick one up from Tim Issac directly from his web site
    http://matchtechnical.com/default.aspx

. . . . . or from the Popflash Photo link above.

Check out the soft releases as well . . . . .

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely worth it! At least for me it really stabilized the camera for low shutter speed shots that were impossible before - throw in a soft-release button and it's really hard to beat!

Rob Martin

yes, is an excellent addition.

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto - worth it.
    -- Joe

http://mountainjoe.zenfolio.com/ - excuse the mess

shootinglulu

The usability of the m9 is vastly improved by the thumbs up imo.

Post Thanks / Like

+1

It's the best single mod for the M8/9.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't like the heft of the thumbs-up.. Kind of funny to talk about bulk of thumbs-up, but if you don't plan on using a half case, a thumbie is much better because it's much smaller and simple... oh and it's much cheaper.. If I remember correctly it was $25 or so.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SYGTAFOTO View Post
    I didn't like the heft of the thumbs-up.. Kind of funny to talk about bulk of thumbs-up, but if you don't plan on using a half case, a thumbie is much better because it's much smaller and simple... oh and it's much cheaper.. If I remember correctly it was $25 or so.
    i do have a half case...a zhou...bought it on this forum
    so a thumb or a thumbs up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

sorry thumbie or thumbs up?

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbie wraps around the rounded surface on the right hand side. Therefore, the thumbie gets in the way of the half case. If you are planning on using a half case, then it's best to go with a thumbs-up. If you don't plan on using a half case, I recommend a thumbie. I don't use a half case because it adds bulk, so I went with a thumbie.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

now that i have the case and do use it i guess i should get the thumbs up..there are a couple of models like an ep1 and csep...which one works best with the M9? Also i don't have large hands as I'm a woman (and definitely in the minority here!) so which one to get?
    thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

The size in your hand is the same which ever one you get.. as you need to mount it on the hot shoe, you would lose the ability to mount a flash.

With ep-1, you can't mount a flash or an external viewfinder.

With csep-1, it comes with a cold mount where you can mount an external viewfinder.

With csep-4, it comes with 2 cold mount where you can mount 2 external viewfinders.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i won't be using a flash or any view finders so the ep-1 it is?

Post Thanks / Like

If you are certain about that, then ep-1 would be best.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So I read up more and it seems that the thumbie may be better as you say. Some folks wrote that it puts too much pressure on the hot shoe etc...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The TU ie

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
    . . . . . Some folks wrote that it puts too much pressure on the hot shoe etc...
    I have had the opportunity to meet Tim and his wife Lilly. Both have engineering and manufacturing backgrounds and they have designed a product that does not cause any damage to the hot shoe when using the thumbs up. I know that no damage has been caused when using a Thumps up on my M8.2 and now M9.

Tim is a Leica enthusiast who designs and builds accessories for Leica cameras.

You may want to drop Tim an email and ask for a recommendation regarding best fit for a smaller hand. I have contacted him a couple of times with questions and he has always been quick to respond. http://matchtechnical.com/contactus.aspx

Questions about grips . . . . . it is sort of like asking about filters . . . . . a lot of personal opinions . . . . .

Good luck with your decision.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The Thumbs Up look useful ... but I will prefer a Thumbie because it leaves the hot shoe free for a flash radio trigger and performs the same task.

What I've never really understood are the soft touch shutter release gizmos. The shutter release guard is designed to allow you to roll your finger with minimum disturbance to the camera onto the shutter release ... it works perfectly for me. The soft touch releases require that I hold my finger up above the release and press down carefully ... I find that much harder to do. I've tried them a half dozen times and given them away after being frustrated with them.

Diff'rent strokes, eh?

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a review of the Thumbie.

It has a lot going for it over the TU, but if you use a half case, you'll have to be a little careful how it fits. Other than that - what's not to like? Smaller, cheaper, leaves the hot shoe free, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

now that i have the case and do use it i guess i should get the thumbs up..there are a couple of models like an ep1 and csep...which one works best with the M9? Also i don't have large hands as I'm a woman (and definitely in the minority here!) so which one to get?
    thanks again
    i'm a female with a small hand but long fingers and i prefer the CSEP-1.

i bought one for my M8 and loved it so much that i ordered another as soon as i knew i had an M9 coming. i seriously would not consider using either one without a ThumbsUp! (and there has never been an issue with undue pressure on the hotshoe and i have used a ThumbsUp for years.)

Tim is a really great guy (as seakayaker has said) and you can easily email him to ask which model he thinks is right -- based on your hand shape, lenses, needs, etc. he has the patience of a saint and really wants to give you what's best for your personal needs -- talk about customer service!

Godfrey,

the Soft Releases are a godsend for those of us that don't use flashes or tripods but need help steadying the hand for longer exposures... the idea is to squeeze, not press, and can help immensely if you have an issue with shutter shake (as do i).

whilst the TU gives me the greatest assistance in keeping the camera steady, the BIP (my preferred size) gives me ever so much more of an edge.

i also like that it protects the hole in the shutter release from dampness and the like if i go out in a drizzle... i also have a Luigi case (no grip) to further protect the body (and my fingers) from cold and damp.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SYGTAFOTO View Post
    Thumbie wraps around the rounded surface on the right hand side. Therefore, the thumbie gets in the way of the half case. If you are planning on using a half case, then it's best to go with a thumbs-up. If you don't plan on using a half case, I recommend a thumbie. I don't use a half case because it adds bulk, so I went with a thumbie.
    +1

I started with the Thumbie, but when I added a half case (I appreacieted the built-in grip) I found that the Thumbie made it a bit of a chore to put the case on--have to be careful about the case knocking the Thumbie out of position and gradually weakening the double-sided tape. The ThumbsUp is considerably heavier than the Thumbie, but as SYGTAFOTO says it's really the better option if using a half-case.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    i'm a female with a small hand but long fingers ...

the Soft Releases are a godsend for those of us that don't use flashes or tripods but need help steadying the hand for longer exposures... the idea is to squeeze, not press, and can help immensely if you have an issue with shutter shake (as do i).
    hmm

I have large hands, but I find it much easier and smoother to gently roll my finger from the finger guard onto the release then to squeeze down from above a soft release with an unsupported finger.

But of course, whatever works for you is good! :-)

I shoot without a case most of the time which is why a Thumbie appeals to me. But I might have Luigi customize a half case to one as there are times when I like the additional protection and grip afforded by the case.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Did that help?

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried a "soft release" not that long ago. It might work on super smooth mechanical Leicas, but it's crap on the M7-M9, IMO. These shutter releases have multiple positions, which causes a bit of "notchiness" as described by some. A soft release exacerbates this situation; and even makes a loud(er) click when fully depressed.

Glad I got the $10 eBay version! Off it goes - into the crap drawer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Double Negative View Post
    These shutter releases have multiple positions, which causes a bit of "notchiness" as described by some. A soft release exacerbates this situation; and even makes a loud(er) click when fully depressed.
    I agree... I stopped using mine recently.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

lol! opinions on a soft release was going to be my next question! :-)

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

One way around it is to use the "soft" release method via MENU. However, you lose the ability to use AE lock (which I happen to use a lot in lieu of EC) and you get a really hair-release shutter button... In the end, yeah... Next!

I guess I just didn't have a problem that needed solving in the first place, either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i do use the soft release method via menu...can u explain the AE lock? i didn't understand that?

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

i do use the soft release method via menu...can u explain the AE lock? i didn't understand that?
    When you press the shutter button down to the second stop, you'll see the "." in the VF turn into ":" indicating that you've locked the exposure ("EL" or "AEL"). Of course, this applies really just to aperture priority (A) mode.

I use this over EC (Exposure Compensation) for more one-off shooting as it's quicker and easier in such cases and only "sticks" as long as you hold the shutter button. Say you're metering something obviously too bright (which would result in a dark photo) - just aim elsewhere that should give a "proper exposure" and lock that (keeping your finger down a bit) as you recompose and shoot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[QUOTE=Double Negative;374191]Here's a review of the Thumbie.

thx! wish i'd read it earlier...wouldn't have asked so many questions!

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

thx! wish i'd read it earlier...wouldn't have asked so many questions!
    No worries. That's why we're here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    Tim is a really great guy (as seakayaker has said) and you can easily email him to ask which model he thinks is right -- based on your hand shape, lenses, needs, etc. he has the patience of a saint and really wants to give you what's best for your personal needs -- talk about customer service!
    Tim is a great guy, but I'm not really going to bite anybody's head off if they ask a question about the Thumbie either. Email [email protected] and you will get a very civil response, with a discount from the Ebay price

To be clear, the Thumbie is not designed for a half case because I don't agree with adding bulk to the overall shape of the camera. Keep it simple, keep it efficient, keep it light, keep it from interfereing with anything else on the camera. That is where the design came from. But, it will fit with a Zhou half case (designed with a cutout for the 'other' device)to my knowledge, it just needs fitting higher. It is hand cast, hand finished, and ticks a few boxes that may or may not be important to some photographers.

Steve

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A must have for me and my hands....adds to the ergonomics of the camera...Plus, Tim Isaac is a great guy and a good friend....
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1 exactly what Ashwin said goes for me as well. It's an essential part of the kit, along with the Luigi leather half case for me.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on Tim and his product

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    But I might have Luigi customize a half case to one as there are times when I like the additional protection and grip afforded by the case.
    I use a ThumbsUp EP-1 with a Luigi half case with "full" grip and the ergonomics are wonderful for my hand (slender, longer fingers). As you note, Luigi will provide a cut-out for the ThumbsUp that works with the shorter versions, but has extra stitching in place to allow you to cut out a little more leather to fit the longer ThumbsUp model (3?) if you have a smaller hand.
    Ron

Post Thanks / Like

I'll add another vote for the Thumbie. It's unobtrusive -- almost invisible on the black M9 -- yet secure and provides desirable grip leverage. The workmanship is excellent, and it cost less than half of the TU.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by racefan View Post
    I use a ThumbsUp EP-1 with a Luigi half case with "full" grip and the ergonomics are wonderful for my hand (slender, longer fingers). As you note, Luigi will provide a cut-out for the ThumbsUp that works with the shorter versions, but has extra stitching in place to allow you to cut out a little more leather to fit the longer ThumbsUp model (3?) if you have a smaller hand.
    I was referring to customizing a Luigi case for the Thumbie.

Post Thanks / Like

Which is to say:

(ahem) "Leica, it is perhaps time to countenance an ergonomic improvement to the valuable M-line".

I have the TU mod 1 and enjoy the extra "hooking" grip it gives. Though in a tight bag sometimes it's a bother.

Post Thanks / Like

it really nice ,u should have one

Post Thanks / Like

It is a very useful add on, increases stability and comfort.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I've now had the M9 for several weeks and been using the Thumbie on it off and on. The Thumbie is very nicely designed, fits beautifully. I like it more than putting the Thumbs Up in the flash shoe as it leaves the top of the camera smooth. Great job, Steve!

It is nice to have a thumb rest, occasionally. However, I find I don't stabilize the camera as well that way. My hands are large, the M9 is small and a little slick ... the Thumbie fits better when you have smaller hands, I think. Thinking back, I never rest my thumb on the wind lever with the M4-2 either: it's in the way. I fold it in when I'm making the exposure and pull it out to wind the camera.

What I need is a little more meat to the body of the camera, where it rests in my hands, and a less-slick surface. With the M4-2, the A&A half case provides the right grip. The Luigi half-case (the reversed leather style) I ordered for the M9 will do the job for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I love mine, totally changed how the camera feels in the hand.
    The M8 feels thicker than film M's and with this it allows me to hold the camera steadier once again like the film M's.

Post Thanks / Like

It's is really useful for me. Mine has the hotshoe on top too so I can still use VF.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it does. I just got mine today. At first, I didn't really get used it. Now I feel like that it's a critical part for holding the camera. One handed camera holding is definitely a possibility now.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A follow-up: My Luigi half-case arrived Friday and I had a chance to go shooting for a bit on Saturday.

Perfection. This is exactly what my hands needed to be 100% comfortable and secure with the M9. It now has the secure and fluid feel in use that I was looking for.