The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M Products Now Official

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Well, it's past midnight in Germany, which makes it Sept. 15. The beans are officially spilled.

All of the new products (M8.2, 21 lux, 24 lux, 24 elmar, 50 noct, D-Lux 4, C-Lux 3, etc.) are now available for preorder on our website at www.dalephotoanddigital.com.

We are also offering a trade-in program on M8 towards M8.2.

If you have any questions about the new products, I can now answer them.

David

Seascape

Hi David, can you tell me what is involved in adding the new framelines to a current M8. Can New Jersey do the upgrade?

M

matmcdermott

I'd second that. Didn't include that in my PM, but if you've got the inside scoop...

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Yes, it can be done in NJ either at the same time as other upgrades or by itself.

I believe that it will be about $250 if performed with other upgrades and about $750 for the framelines only. I will know exact pricing on the framelines tomorrow morning and can confirm this info 100% then.

David

robsteve

Subscriber
Is there a new firmware coming for the M8 to get some of the new features, such as delayed shutter cocking?

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Is there a new firmware coming for the M8 to get some of the new features, such as delayed shutter cocking?
Yes. New firmware will provide some of the M8.2 features. I need to get confirmation on the silent shutter mode, but you will be able to use SDHC cards without any hardware changes. You may actually have to upgrade the shutter to get the silent mode... I'll find out more details in the morning.

David

David, have you had a chance to shoot with any of the new lenses? I am curious about handling, size, and, of course, image quality.

Thanks,
Mark

John Black

Hi David - I have two questions, 1) will the firmware update enable us to adjust the exposure compensation with the up/down button while half-pressing the shutter button? and 2) I'd like to know more about the trade-in program. I'm assuming this means handing over our M8 for a M8.2 kit. Thank you.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
David, have you had a chance to shoot with any of the new lenses? I am curious about handling, size, and, of course, image quality.

Thanks,
Mark
Mark,

Not yet. There are no lens samples in the US right now. I will be getting quality hands-on time at Photokina next week. I'm trying my best to twist Christian's arm to let me take one or two for a test spin one night around Cologne. So far, it's not looking so good. But, I'll keep trying. I've heard beer helps. :D

Either way, be sure to check my blog for updates on the lenses. I think at the very least I'll be able to pop the lenses on my M8 for a go at the booth. I'll post these online.

What I can tell you, though, is that the 21 and 24 lux promise better performance than the 21 and 24 Elmarits at 2.8 and beyond. The Noct is supposed to give the same look of the old Noct at f/1 (the new one uses 11 aperture blades for super creamy bokeh) and past f/1.4 equal the 50 lux in terms of optical performance. These are no small feats as the current 21 and 24 are outstanding lenses, and the 50 lux is probably the best 50 ever. The new 50 might just take the crown away.

More to come from the show!

David

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Hi David - I have two questions, 1) will the firmware update enable us to adjust the exposure compensation with the up/down button while half-pressing the shutter button? and 2) I'd like to know more about the trade-in program. I'm assuming this means handing over our M8 for a M8.2 kit. Thank you.

John,

The firmware update should allow the new easy EV comp, but it uses the wheel, not the up and down arrows. Press the shutter 1/3 down and turn clockwise for + and counterclockwise for -. The current EV comp shows inside the viewfinder. Again, I'll get 100% confirmation in the morning if this will work with existing M8's.

The trade-in is pretty much what it sounds like. We will give you credit for your M8 towards a new M8.2. The amount given will be determined by 1) the going market rate for an M8 and 2) the condition and completeness of your camera. With a lot of people slated to be putting their M8's up for sale, the market value may drop over the coming days and weeks. We discount the market value by 20% in order to cover the costs in selling the trade-in camera and assuming the risk associated with selling used products. We feel this is more than fair as most camera brokers offer 50 cents on the dollar for used gear. We aren't trying to make a fortune off of used trade-ins, just offer a convenience for our customers. This is not a program through Leica, only through Dale Photo & Digital.

Hope this answers your questions.

David

These new lenses sound great, but there is no denying that cost will be a major issue. I will be watching your blog and buying lottery tickets.

Mark

dseelig

I am wondering the size of the 24 and weight. can you compare to a 35 or 50 lux ? for the 24 lux or is it more the size of a noctilux? thanks David

jlm

Workshop Member
david:
any schedule for the availability of the upgrades, last slated for mid-september? I am considering the shutter and framelines