The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

28mm Summicron vs. 28mm Elmarit or 24mm 2.8 ASPH?

Greenaa

Hi All:

A bit of a dilemma. I shoot a silver M8 with 24mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 and 50mm 1.4 lenses.....

I bought the 24mm 2.8 in chrome as I couldn't find the 28mm 2.0 in chrome and have been very happy with the rendering and, due to the crop factor, it's acting as a 31mm.

In the next year, I intend to upgrade to an M9/M10 and would like to move to the 28mm length, as the 24mm will be too wide for me.

I have the choice between a 28mm Summicron chrome which I've found used (expensive) or a 28mm Elmarit silver from the "white edition" (expensive, but less so), as an alternative to my 24mm 2.8. I would love the extra stop as sometimes I have issues with the speed of the 24mm, but this may frankly be solved by the next M's better high ISO.

Any advice? Should I just forget it and stick with the 24mm, even though it's a bit too wide on the M9 viewfinder? Is the 28mm much nicer to compose with on the M9?

Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for your advice.

Best Regards,

ACG

iiiNelson

Try the 24 on full frame first to see if it works for you before going to a 28 would be my suggestion. I owned a 28 (for my M9) but it wasn't wide enough for me so I sold it and got a 24 more recently to add to a 35, 50, and 90mm kit (and I may add a 75 to the mix as well.) Just saying you never know until you try it but the 28 may be too close to 35 for you. If not then it's possible you could sell your 35 and 24 to cover the additional costs of getting a 28 Summicron (and then some.)

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
This is a tough decision. Keep in mind that you will adjust to the FOV differences as you get comfortable with any change . So you can go from a 24 to 28 FOV or a 35 to 28 FOV fairly easily . A 24 on an M8 will translate(similar FOV) into a 28 or 35 on an M9 ..either will be easy for you to get used to.

You should pick your absolute favorite FOV and build around it . On the M9 I like the 28/2 summicron as my first pick . The I go to the 50 summilux and those two lenses account for 80percent of my M images . But you can easily make the case to go with a 35 for your “body cap” or go to lens. Then skipping down to the 24 makes sense . If your primary lens is the 50 ..then I like the 28 but no reason you can t make the 24 work.

I have also found that the more I shoot the wider I can go .

Most of my PJ friends have gone to 24 for their wide angles .

A lot depends on what you shoot and where ....I find that in situations where its crowded or photography is expected ..you can go as wide as you want . But if you need to be discrete then a slightly longer lens is sometimes better .

Greenaa

Thanks so much for the responses - very helpful.

I think for the moment I will stick to the 24mm until I go full frame, then figure out which focal length works best (28mm vs 35mm) and put more resources into a fast lens first at that length. Conceivably, that could mean trading for a 35mm 1.4 too.

Best Regards and Happy Holidays,

ACG

baudolino

Keep the 24mm and try it on the M9. It is great - much more dynamic perspective than the 28mm. One more consideration (may not apply to you, as each camera/lens combination seems to be a bit different in this regard): I had the 28mm Cron and sold it as it displayed strong "red edge" (and I was not always prepared to jump into C1 to do the LCC...). My 24mm Elmarit Asph is not completely free of this but it is much better in this regard.

D&A

It's interesting as one's preference is so subjective. The 24mm f2.8 is impecable but I personally found 24mm on the M9 my least used focal length I tend to use 28mm for wide landscapes and occasional larger group shots, the 35mm or 50mm for classic street photography and then go to the 21mm for moderate "near/far" wide perspectives or urban architecture, in that it doesn't stretch the "wide perspective" to an extreme.

I may be in the minority, but I find that there is a sort of a break point between 28 and 35 and the difference and look between these two focal lengths is greater than say between the 24mm and 28mm, where I find the look between these two more similar, except for the slightly wider perspective of the 24mm. Others though feel differently about this.

I think it is good advice that most here have suggested...which is to try and get comfortable with your existing 24mm f2.8. Often one's favorite or well liked lens on the cropped M8 body also becomes just that when making the move to the full frame M9. Conversely the opposite is often true and the 24mm focal length that I rarely used on the M8 was also rarely used on the M9.

Prior to giving up your 24mm, try and borrow or invest in a less expensive 28mm lens and see if that focal length works better for you. In time it will all come into place, in what to keep and what to sell.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Focal length aside the 28 cron is just a nicer look to it than the other two . My last lens sold when I got out of the M system and I had about 11 . Lol

Simply just loved the look of that lens

jonoslack

I'm with others here
Don't change any lenses until you've settled down with the M9 - you'll get some surprises, some lenses will look much nicer than you expect, and some less so, no need to go to expense until you really need it.
A chrome 24 f2.8 is a lovely thing to have - hang on to it until you're certain.

As for the 28s - I know it's not the norm (maybe I'm a bit weird), but I like the elmarit - in some circumstances the 'cron is nicer, and when I decided to stick to one then it was the 'cron, but there are moments when I wished I'd stuck with the elmarit.

all the best

Greenaa

Thanks Jono.... one lens I'm hoping I like more on the M9 is the 35 Cron, which is my least favourite on the M8

Does anytime have the same experience?

Best Regards,

ACG

ashwinrao1

I have owned all 3, and stuck with the 28 'cron. It has a beautiful and rich rendering that I would miss should I have let it go (as I did once). I liked the 28 elmarit and 24 elmarit, but both had a clinical look that was subjectively less rich. That being said, both are fantastic, and if size was of paramount importance, the 28 elmarit would be THE one to keep.....

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Like Ashwin and a few others that have already commented, I've owned all three at one time or another. The 24 Elmarit was my favorite and most used lens on my M6 & M7 back in the film days. Today the 28 'Cron lives on my M9. I've owned the 35 'Cron since forever, though have never fallen in love with that focal length. I much prefer shooting wider, though I freely admit it is really a very personal choice to make choosing the focal length your most comfortable with for yourself. It's what works for you that matters, not what works for anyone else. All of them are exceptionally good lenses so there isn't a dog in the lot.

Greenaa

Thanks everyone for the honest and even handed comments. I'll stick with the lenses I have until Photokina 2012, and then figure out what's going on with a new body and which two focal lengths to concentrate on.

I have to admit 75% of the time right now I'm shooting with the 24mm and the M8, which is a great combination.

Double Negative

Not Available
Three of the best wide angles available, IMO, are the Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH, Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH... And Zeiss Biogon T* 25mm f/2.8. I have the latter (but looking to score the 'Cron) and have to say - its performance is simply stunning. When I first started building up my lenses, you could almost say I built around this lens!

FWIW, I did a full-on review of the Zeiss Biogon T* 25mm f/2.8.

It was, by far, my favorite lens on the M8. On the M9 I'm tending towards a longer focal length (e.g. a "real" 35mm or even 50mm). Nevertheless, we're talking wide angles here and it performs, regardless of medium.

retow

Contrary to some of the advise given so far, I'd keep the 24mm and add the 28 Cron. The former is a good companion to your 35mm (24, 35, 75mm combo) and the latter to your 50mm (28, 50, 90mm combo). Alternatively, the 24mm could be replaced with a 21mm.