The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica article in today's Wall Street Journal

John Black

For existing M8 owners the $6295 price of the M8.2 is nice since our cameras are less likely to lose value, but that's quite a price to pay in 2008. The market is turning a corner and full-frame coupled with amazing high ISO performance is becoming the standard. I'm not sure a price increase was the right move when the sensor is the same as the past generation. I was pricing the Leica IR/UV filters the other day - it's $140+ at B&H. We don't "need" those filters, we have to have them because of the sensor. Leica should be charging much less. The M8 grip is now $289, up from $179 when first introduced. $300 for the new 1.4x magnifier??? I'm sure there is a Zeiss program manager scrambling to put a sensor in a Zeiss Ikon and undercut Leica's prices by 50%. It's a golden opportunity. I don't wish anything bad for Leica or its employees, but the prices are extremely high and they are risking their user base. Nikon or Zeiss could come along, offer a cheaper (and potentially better) product. What's left for Leica after that? And some whiz-kid will probably figure out ways to get the Leica M lenses to work on other rangefinders. Heck, the Leica M mount probably doesn't have patent protection anyway.

N

nei1

I think leica have found a new group of people to sell to and its not the best photographers.