The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8 Officia lUpgrade Information

dfarkas

Workshop Member
just got the US prices and upgrade table from Leica outlining what can and cannot be upgraded. Hope this helps.

David

35mmSummicron

Thanks David.

Most of this seems pretty clear to me, however I am having trouble understanding what the difference is between the M8.2 and M8 with soon-to-be-released firmware update "Auto ISO" and "Snapshot mode".

does this imply that future firmware for M8.0 will disable 1/8000th shutter speed to allow some sort of switch for "Auto ISO"?

.a

Terry

Hmmm.... surprised about the short cut exposure compensation. I thought that could/would be firmware and not hardware.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I am not seeing anything about extending the warranty on the M8. Am I just missing it, or has that been deleted? That would be really important to me.
David, When do you expect to have more information on your trade-in program?

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Hmmm.... surprised about the short cut exposure compensation. I thought that could/would be firmware and not hardware.
I think that the hardware required is the LED indicators in the viewfinder. On the M8.2, when you turn the dial with the shutter 1/3 pressed, the EV comp shows in the viewfinder. Perhaps the M8 doesn't have the correct LED display. A workaround might be to display the EV on the LCD instead. I can certainly pass this suggestion on the Stefan when I see him in a few days.

David

dfarkas

Workshop Member
I am not seeing anything about extending the warranty on the M8. Am I just missing it, or has that been deleted? That would be really important to me.
David, When do you expect to have more information on your trade-in program?
Cindy,

The warranty is extended 1 year from the original warranty expiration date when you get the camera upgraded.

Regarding the trade-in program... we are offering an average of $2800 for an M8 body towards the purchase of an M8.2. We expect to get the new M8.2 cameras in about two weeks.

Let me know if you need more info.

David

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Cindy,

The warranty is extended 1 year from the original warranty expiration date when you get the camera upgraded.

Regarding the trade-in program... we are offering an average of $2800 for an M8 body towards the purchase of an M8.2. We expect to get the new M8.2 cameras in about two weeks.

Let me know if you need more info.

David
David

Regarding the warranty extension. Initially it was one year from the date of the upgrade . If its now an extension of a year to the original warranty this would be better for most users . However, once the original warranties start to expire in November ..it could be worse.

Roger

robmac

Ah, if only you sold those bodies at $2800.. ;>

Am surprised by some of the options like shutter re-cock not being offered via FW or upgrade, but I guess if they offered everything, no one would by an 8.2.

lmr

David:

Trade in @ an average of $2,800 USD?

Does this mean the used market value of the an M8 is already dictated @ an average of$2,800? Wow... I am seeing used M8 prices on KEH ranging from $3650 - $3950. The used M8 value droped around 25% when M8.2 is announced. Ouch!

Robert.

robmac

I think David mentioned that they offer their trade price at typical M8 used prices- 20%, so that would equate to roughly 3350-3400. KEH is also usually priced 10-15% above Street (it varies).

John Black

The M8 used market took a serious price dip in the last 30 days with the Photokina hype. Now that the M8.2 is announced and the price know - $6295 (gasp!), I think we'll see the M8 used prices go back up to the $3500-$3800 range.

I think Leica should offer a simple trade-in program. If we do any of the upgrades, Leica incurs a labor cost. Whereas if we just swapped cameras, the labor cost in never incurred, so Leica could sell us a new M8.2 and then put our old M8 back on the market as a refurb. They didn't incur the labor expenses, so they probably would net more margin. $1500-2000 sounds fair to me, but that's just my $.02.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
See our trade-in page:

M8.2 Trade-In Program

I think that from the response we've gotton so far, quite a few people are moving to the M8.2 and either trying to sell their M8 or take advantage of our trade-in program. So, I really don't see the market value of the M8 going back up. Truthfully, I would like it to, as we still have new M8 bodies in stock and I'm personally selling my black M8 to get an M8.2 black paint.

KEH is listing a few hundred higher than what M8s are selling for. Remember, just as with stocks, there is bids and asks. Where they meet and actually trade is the real market value. So, I've seen cameras selling for anywhere between $3000 and $3600.

Hope this clarifies.

David

A

Artorius

Re: M8 Official Upgrade Information

When will the new firmware be available for download?

cam

thank you so much for that information, David!

as an M8-wannabe owner, it was particularly helpful to me. i thought that i might be able to do it in baby steps, get an M8 soon and save for the upgrade later. but nooooooo, one of the options i consider most important is on the M8.2 -- discreet advance :scry:

you saved me a lot of worry and bother, but there goes me ever owning an M8 of any flavour.

to torture me, though, i would like your opinion on how stealthy the new shutter and discreet advance is on the M8.2.

thank you.

A

Artorius

Thanks

I did the update about 230 this am. Works fantastic, no problems updating the M8.