Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FAST 50mm FOR M9

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FAST 50mm FOR M9

I'm looking to buy a fast 50mm for the M9 as i really like to shoot in low light and at night mostly which i can't do with my Summarit 50 2.5. Another Leica seems impossible as they are so expensive...was really looking to buy a pre asph summilux but couldn't afford it!

I looked at the Nokton 1.1 and read that while its a great lens the images lack character.The Nokton 1.5 is much better? Or the Zeiss Sonnar? Is the focus shift issue hard to get around? Any one own both or used both that can advise?
    Thanks

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: FAST 50mm FOR M9

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
    I'm looking to buy a fast 50mm for the M9 as i really like to shoot in low light and at night mostly which i can't do with my Summarit 50 2.5. Another Leica seems impossible as they are so expensive...was really looking to buy a pre asph summilux but couldn't afford it!

I looked at the Nokton 1.1 and read that while its a great lens the images lack character.The Nokton 1.5 is much better? Or the Zeiss Sonnar? Is the focus shift issue hard to get around? Any one own both or used both that can advise?
    Thanks
    See http://lavidaleica.com/content/lens-shoot-out-50mm

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Check this out:

http://leicarumors.com/2011/12/31/sl...nnounced.aspx/

There is a comparison between the new SLR magic 50/0.95, Canon 50/0.95, Noctilux 50/0.95 and the Nokton 50/1.1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thx, I read both the links. Was wondering if anyone has compared the Nokton 1.5 50 and the Zeiss Sonnar 1.5. That's the 2 lenses I'm sorta narrowing it down to unless there's some other lens I'm missing out on.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thx, I read both the links. Was wondering if anyone has compared the Nokton 1.5 50 and the Zeiss Sonnar 1.5. That's the 2 lenses I'm sorta narrowing it down to unless there's some other lens I'm missing out on.
    Well, from the looks of it, the Zeiss Sonnar 1.5 is a bit curious to work with. The older Nokton 50/1.5 is a very well respected lens.

I have the Skopar 50/2.5 which I like a lot, but if I wanted one of the premium brands, I'd likely go with a Zeiss Planar 50/2. I always liked the Summicron 50/2 more than the Summilux in the past, too.

I know, I know ... "only" f/2. Well, I've found in the past year and some that I prefer what I see out of the slightly slower lenses, and I have no fear about racking sensitivity up to ISO 1600 at this point. :-)

G

Post Thanks / Like

I shoot a lot of low/very low light (EV 1, EV 0). If you're shooting in that range, the Summilux or Sonnar won't get it without a tripod. I use a Noctilux f/1 and I've owned the Canon 0.95 and Nokton 1.1. With the Canon, getting a good one is critical and they vary, plus they're as or more expensive than a pre asph Summilux if they're already converted. Considering your budget constraints, the Nokton 1.1 is your best choice. I wasn't wowed by the one I had but I didn't really give it as much of a chance as I probably should have. You didn't say what body you're using but I'm assuming ISO in the 1250 - 2500 range and shutter speeds no lower than about 1/30 second unless you can brace yourself somehow. Even then, practicing your technique of holding your breath and bracing your arms against your body is necessary at those shutter speeds with a large lens.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I have both the Voigtlander 50/1.5 Nokton and Zeiss 50/1.5 C Sonnar T* and like both of them. Both give you good value for the cost of the lens.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2667261...693002/?page=6

Sample of the Nokton at night.

M9 with Voigtlander Nokton Asph 50mm f1.5 -- ISO 160 -- f1.5 -- 1/90

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2667261...7627847756632/

Sample of the Sonnar with only light source of open garage door, building and street light.

Leica M6 TTL with Zeiss C Sonnar T* 50mm f1.5 / Ilford HP5

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
    I have both the Voigtlander 50/1.5 Nokton and Zeiss 50/1.5 C Sonnar T* and like both of them. Both give you good value for the cost of the lens.

Sample of the Sonnar with only light source of open garage door, building and street light.

Nice, Dan!
    Tell me, did you have either of those coded?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The place for you to go is Reid Reviews. You have to pay a subscription fee, but when contemplating new lenses for the Leica, this site is a must! Not easy to navigate, but in there you´ll find comparisons between these two lenses and innumerable others. The comparisons are very informative, not just test charts and lpm numbers, but lots of info about bokeh, drawing, flare tendencies, and just plain image quality of the kind that really matters...

Post Thanks / Like

I would 2nd the recommendation to go to Reid Reviews. The quest for the perfect 50mm is endless. Add in the requirement to shoot at night with an M9 where an extra EV can make the difference between getting a usable image and not and its a difficult search .

If you can afford one ,can find one and can comfortably handle the size ....the Noctilux 0.95 is peerless.

The best all around 50 is the summilux asph .....still expensive and hard to get ..but IQ and handling are superb. IMHO this is a must have lens at some point for most M9 owners ...because of its versatility and high IQ.

If I was on a budget I would look at the VC 1.1 but my expectations are that it would be great for night work in black and white but less acceptable for daylight color ....this of course is highly subjective .

Post Thanks / Like

An alternative thought - How about a new version of the CV 35mm f1.2, and take the 'sweet spot' of the lens by cropping your images a bit. The loss of your files edges won't likely be too significant [better file than an M8, slightly less than full area M9]. Hey; it's better advice than saying that you really must get a damned Noctilux.

And yes; Reid Reviews will likely give you many pointers.

.......... Chris

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Nice, Dan!
    Tell me, did you have either of those coded?
    Godfrey, thank you for your kind words.

I do have the LTM to M adaptor hand coded using the Match Technical coding kit for the Voigtlander as a Summilux APSH. The Zeiss has not been coded as of yet but will get around to it . . . . .

As a side note, I do subscribe to Reid Reviews and do believe it is money well spent if you are looking to purchase Leica, Zeiss, and Voigtlander Lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

wow those are beautiful Dan! I'm thinking of buying a 1.5 nokton but its a discontinued lens...do u know where i could maybe find one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chris C View Post
    An alternative thought - How about a new version of the CV 35mm f1.2, and take the 'sweet spot' of the lens by cropping your images a bit. The loss of your files edges won't likely be too significant [better file than an M8, slightly less than full area M9]. Hey; it's better advice than saying that you really must get a damned Noctilux.

And yes; Reid Reviews will likely give you many pointers.

.......... Chris
    never thought of that! do u have an image sample?
    thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Super examples Dan, and the Sonnar one sort of blows out of the water what I was going to say about that lens.

But for the record, as I understand it the Sonnar is designed to render a slightly diffused image wide open, to give the classic glow of earlier lenses. This settles down at around f/4 to render images in a modern way. Some people like it, some don't. I like it from images I have seen, but your photo looks every bit as 'modern' as any other lens. Much post processing going on?

I will add to the recommendation of Reid Reviews, it offers a no-nonsense and real world review of lenses and 'fast 50's' crop up often. My position is that once you go beyond f/1.4 your are into the limiting aspects of very fast lenses, the very narrow DOF can be more difficult to work with in low light compared to slower lenses, with the focus becoming so critical you can have more chance of getting a sharp image hand held at 1/8th second and f/2.8 than trying to focus a Nokton at 1/60th at f/1.1. This is particularly so as the Nokton does exhibit some aperture related focus shift, although when I had one it wasn't as bad as I expected.

Personally from the ones you mention Moonshine I would say the f/1.5 Nokton is a good enough fast lens, and a very good day to day lens. If I threw a wild card into the mix, then the 40mm Nokton f/1.4 is a very nice lens (and very small) and the image fits the M9's 35mm framelines very closely, although you would need to file the lug on the lens flange to bring up those framelines (a camera tech could do it while you wait).

Steve

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A side note:

I've heard this mention of filing the lug on the 40mm lens mount a couple of times. Anybody have a picture of exactly what needs to be done and where?

The Nokton 40/1.4 and M-Rokkor 40/2 are two of my favorite lenses and the 35mm frame lines do fit better than the 50mm.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

wow those are beautiful Dan! I'm thinking of buying a 1.5 nokton but its a discontinued lens...do u know where i could maybe find one?
    You can still pick them up from Steve Gandy at Camera Quest

http://cameraquest.com/inventor.htm

50/1.5 ASPH Nokton: Leica Screw Mount -- add Screw Mount adapter for perfect compatibility Leica M cameras! Many shooters consider this lens better than the much more expensive 4 decade old design 50/1.4 Leica Summilux! Very popular, Silver or Black. Remember you can use this lens on any Leica Screw Mount body, or any Leica M body with the screw mount adapter. This lens is DISCONTINUED and SOLD OUT at the factory, but a few are still in stock at CameraQuest IN STOCK PICS $699 Black

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Somewhat off-topic but my morning rant ...

I'm somewhat allergic to Reid Reviews due to the miserable flash implementation, horrid white on black text, inability to adjust the font or font size for easy reading, inability to save an off-line copy of the articles so I can read at my leisure without having a high bandwidth network connection and a BIG monitor and keyboard in front of me, no way to search an article's text since it is presented in flash, poor choice of font, etc etc.

Sean writes well and $33 a year for a 12-article subscription is a little pricey if in line with other boutique magazines of similar information quality. But he'd do well to hire a book/magazine designer and re-think using flash as a delivery mechanism. I mean, jeez, a secure PDF file would be a MUCH better reading experience than a flash website, and would be accessible on any device that had a PDF reader app. Add some line spacing, a more readable font for a computer screen than "Ariel": it would be far nicer than his current mess.

Ok, rant over. ;-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I do have the LTM to M adaptor hand coded using the Match Technical coding kit for the Voigtlander as a Summilux APSH. The Zeiss has not been coded as of yet but will get around to it . . . . .
    Thanks Dan!

This is probably getting off topic, but just how big a difference does the coding make for someone interested primarily in raw capture?

Sorry for the thread hijacking. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm somewhat allergic to Reid Reviews due to the miserable flash implementation, horrid white on black text, inability to adjust the font or font size for easy reading, inability to save an off-line copy of the articles so I can read at my leisure without having a high bandwidth network connection and a BIG monitor and keyboard in front of me, no way to search an article's text since it is presented in flash, poor choice of font, etc etc.

Sean writes well and $33 a year for a 12-article subscription is a little pricey if in line with other boutique magazines of similar information quality. But he'd do well to hire a book/magazine designer and re-think using flash as a delivery mechanism. I mean, jeez, a secure PDF file would be a MUCH better reading experience than a flash website, and would be accessible on any device that had a PDF reader app. Add some line spacing, a more readable font for a computer screen than "Ariel": it would be far nicer than his current mess.

Ok, rant over. ;-)
    Well, I agree wholeheartedly: Flash is horrible, and the smallish Flash window and the white-on-black text in an antediluvian font adds insult to injury. Sean has received lots of flak in different fora for all this, and he still believes Flash is his one safe insurance against contents theft (it isn´t, but let´s not get into details...).

Thing is: the site contents is invaluable, and it can at present only be had while putting up with these inconveniences. As for me, I pay, I cuss profusely while reading, and I benefit a lot from the info I get.

Post Thanks / Like

never thought of that! do u have an image sample?
    I don't have the CV 35/f1.2, I'm not too interested in fast lenses, but I've followed other people's interest in the version 2 lens; [usual sources], LUF. RangeFinderForum, maybe here, maybe Steve Huff. There's a lot of feedback on the lens if you search. I thought that it might be an alternative to the fast '50mm' route, a cropped M9 file to the equivalent of a 40 to 50mm field of view will still deliver a quality file, and could be a better option than some other suggestions. Maybe worth consideration.

Another, far cheaper alternative is to stick with your Summarit, and buy yourself a Manfrotto 685B monopod. It's super fast to use [check it out - Michael Reichman video-reviewed it on Luminous Landscape]. But don't use it to balance the camera on, rack it out so you can jam it in your armpit; heavily lean into it, making it and you a more stable 'tripod' platform for more stable hand-held shooting. That's how I often work in windy weather on rocky ground. [Hand-holding whilst leaning on a fast-erecting tripod also works well when there isn't time to set a camera properly on the tripod ------- try it, you'll be surprised at how stable your Summarit will become......]. Oh yes, make sure the tripod comes up to your [wait for it] ....................... armpit.

Good luck.

.............. Chris

Post Thanks / Like

A side note:

I've heard this mention of filing the lug on the 40mm lens mount a couple of times. Anybody have a picture of exactly what needs to be done and where?

The Nokton 40/1.4 and M-Rokkor 40/2 are two of my favorite lenses and the 35mm frame lines do fit better than the 50mm.
    Here you are Godfrey

http://photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00CcwG

I did it on my 40mm Nokton and I think the key is that when you know where to take the material off just file it in small goes until the frameline changes, then just one more sweep of the file for luck. I don't think the flange of the Nokton is the same in shape as a 40mm Summicron as in this example, and I filed it square across because the Nokton is already square and without a ramp. If I eyeball mine now it can only be 0.5mm to 0.75mm (at the maximum) of material removed that makes the difference between framelines.

I did think hard about this before doing it and figured two things, plenty of people seem to succeed with less mechanical experience than me, and as it is a brass mount under the chrome it is easy to build the spot up again with solder and try again. But that shouldn't be the goal of course

Steve

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    Here you are Godfrey

http://photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00CcwG

I did it on my 40mm Nokton and I think the key is that when you know where to take the material off just file it in small goes until the frameline changes, then just one more sweep of the file for luck. I don't think the flange of the Nokton is the same in shape as a 40mm Summicron as in this example, and I filed it square across because the Nokton is already square and without a ramp. If I eyeball mine now it can only be 0.5mm to 0.75mm (at the maximum) of material removed that makes the difference between framelines.
    Thanks Steve! That's a handy reference.

Just occurred to me that I can also check the flange depth on my 35 and 50 mm lenses to see how the 40 differs, now that I know which flange I'm looking at. Time to get out the dial calipers again. It at least provides a sanity check.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok, rant over. ;-)

i agree but i may still subscribe..

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    Super examples Dan, and the Sonnar one sort of blows out of the water what I was going to say about that lens.

But for the record, as I understand it the Sonnar is designed to render a slightly diffused image wide open, to give the classic glow of earlier lenses. This settles down at around f/4 to render images in a modern way. Some people like it, some don't. I like it from images I have seen, but your photo looks every bit as 'modern' as any other lens. Much post processing going on?

If I threw a wild card into the mix, then the 40mm Nokton f/1.4 is a very nice lens (and very small) and the image fits the M9's 35mm framelines very closely, although you would need to file the lug on the lens flange to bring up those framelines (a camera tech could do it while you wait).

Steve
    Thanks for you kind words Steve.

I have owned the Zeiss since October and have not really exercised the lens enough to comment outside of the fact that I am happy with it and have not been disappointed with the results.

I did perform some post processing in NIK Silver EFEX 2 to change the contrast to lighten up the image in the upper left and lower right hand conners.

I also have the Voigtlander 40/1.4 and enjoy that lens as well. A nice selection if funding is an issue as well. Can be purchased new for $529.00 and often found used. I believe there was one sold here or on RFF for around $375.00 recently. So it can be an attractive alternative for a low light fast lens.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dan!

This is probably getting off topic, but just how big a difference does the coding make for someone interested primarily in raw capture?

Sorry for the thread hijacking. :-)
    Godfrey, I capture all my photographs in RAW format. The primary reason for the coding lens is to capture the information in the EFIX data. My understanding is there is some software correction for wide lens vignetting and color correction as well. Someone else may want to comment on that.

Post Thanks / Like

The 1.1 Voiglander has the same rough-looking bokeh of my 58mm f1.4. Look much better stopped down to f2 or 2.8. They should start looking at Samyang's offerings, the 85mm f1.4 wide open is really nice.

gplatt

Ok, rant over. ;-)
    Well said. I would get such a head ache trying to read his reviews in the flash reader that I gave up. I tried his recommendations for display settings but the bottom line is that the flash viewer he uses is terrible.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    The 1.1 Voiglander has the same rough-looking bokeh of my 58mm f1.4. Look much better stopped down to f2 or 2.8. They should start looking at Samyang's offerings, the 85mm f1.4 wide open is really nice.
    Except that it's not a 50mm lens.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Godfrey, I capture all my photographs in RAW format. The primary reason for the coding lens is to capture the information in the EXIF data. My understanding is there is some software correction for wide lens vignetting and color correction as well. Someone else may want to comment on that.
    Thanks! Sounds like it's not all that important if you can keep track of what lenses you're using on a day's session. Since I tend to carry just one or two at any given time, that's pretty easy. (I do it for the M4-2... :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i'll look for a nokton...
    thanks for all the advice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Any one know the close focus distance of the nokton 1.5? Does the LTM to M adapter reduce that? Thanks!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Any one know the close focus distance of the nokton 1.5? Does the LTM to M adapter reduce that? Thanks!
    Most RF lenses close-focus limit is at about .7m due to mechanical constraints of the rangefinder mechanism. I don't think the Nokton is any different: according to one report I read it is .9m.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

FWIW,

Review of the C Sonnar T* 1,5/50 ZM
    Review of the 50mm f/1.1 Nokton
    Lens Shoot-out (50mm) (which compares them together)

Recently picked up a 50 Lux ASPH - will add that to the mix soon also.

Post Thanks / Like

Another lens usually over looked because it needs an adapter is the Millennium Nikkor S 50/1.4. It's been tested against the 50 lux asph and did quite well. Used they sometimes are sold for $800 or so. Amedeo's S>M adapter runs about $250. I have an older Nikkor S 50/1.4 and Amedeo's adapter. At 1.4 lens is sharp but lack contrast. By f/2 sharp as any 50 cron out there. The older Nikkors run about $300 for a nice clean one--look for black. Another suggestion is the LTM Nikkor 50/1.4. Very good lens, but prices are rising.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Per Ofverbeck View Post
    The place for you to go is Reid Reviews. You have to pay a subscription fee, but when contemplating new lenses for the Leica, this site is a must! Not easy to navigate, but in there you´ll find comparisons between these two lenses and innumerable others. The comparisons are very informative, not just test charts and lpm numbers, but lots of info about bokeh, drawing, flare tendencies, and just plain image quality of the kind that really matters...
    I had a subscription for a couple years. I recently decided not to re-up. As you intimate, Reid Reviews has very good content, but a terrible interface! The interface is horrible for use on a computer and unusable on an iPad. I understand Sean's logic with the site design (of disallowing people from saving or copying content), but it makes for an atrocious user experience (at least for me). There's just too much free information online (some of it decent) that I just couldn't justify continuing to pay for a non-user friendly experience on Reid reviews. (I actually emailed him a couple times about this, but to no avail.)

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ramosa View Post
    I had a subscription for a couple years. I recently decided not to re-up. As you intimate, Reid Reviews has very good content, but a terrible interface! The interface is horrible for use on a computer and unusable on an iPad. I understand Sean's logic with the site design (of disallowing people from saving or copying content), but it makes for an atrocious user experience (at least for me). There's just too much free information online (some of it decent) that I just couldn't justify continuing to pay for a non-user friendly experience on Reid reviews. (I actually emailed him a couple times about this, but to no avail.)
    Sadly, I'd have to agree. The content is nice, but the experience sucks. There are better ways to create a subscription site - and Flash is not the way. I won't be renewing my subscription either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

but his content would be really informative for a newbie like me...i'll look for information on line and then if all else fails i'll subscribe to it. the flash issue is a pain

but the nokton 1.5 seems the one for me for a fast 50
    Last edited by Moonshine; 8th January 2012 at 16:54. Reason: add more

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Recently I tested numerious samples of the 50mm f1.5 Nokton against the Leica 50mm Lux asph. Putting aside bokeh and often a bit of focus shift with some samples of the Nokton and also how the lens draws...these were my observations. The Nokton, resolution wise came within 90% of the the Leica. Like Tamron's 28-75 f2.8 SLR lens where even the best aligned samples have some softness at one side or the other side of the frame (at certain focal lengths) compared to it's Nikon counterpart, so does the Nokton compared to the Leica. Apparently a perfectly aligned Nokton lens comes close to edge to edge sharpness wide open compared to the Leica....but either one edge (side) or the other is a bit soft (blurred or smeared). This is of course observed at 100%. Aside from that, resolution wise it's very close and of course at its price point a superb buy. There may be samples that have perfect edge to edge sharpness wide open, but none that I ever tried did.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 8th January 2012 at 21:39.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i can't afford the lux but from what ever i've seen of the nokton i think i will buy it soon

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

The 1,5 Nokton is a real peach. Perfect? No. But a great price and pretty nice rendering all things considered. And, unlike "new and improved" CV lenses, doesn't focus shift.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Double Negative View Post
    The 1,5 Nokton is a real peach. Perfect? No. But a great price and pretty nice rendering all things considered. And, unlike "new and improved" CV lenses, doesn't focus shift.
    Haha! Now if I can only find a 'gently used' one. If not I'll get it new from camera quest

Post Thanks / Like

Here's are two pics of the Nikkor S mount 50/1.4 and a pic taken at f/2. The lens and adapter combo could run you near $600. As I mentioned low contrast at 1.4 though still sharp, why I usually shoot at f/2.

Post Thanks / Like

The Nokton 50/1.5 is an excellent lens. It is also relatively easy to modify to close-focus to about 0.7m making it a bargain compared to the prices E46 Pre-Asph Summilux go for these days. The modification requires disassembling the lens and some filing so it's not for the faint of heart but is well worth the effort.

Post Thanks / Like

Get the zeiss the nokton is crap I owned it and got a lot of fringing with it . Also a very soft lens contrast and sharpness wise the zeiss is much better

Post Thanks / Like

Quite frankly I listened to reid reviews bought some of the cheap stuff he suggested and I got cheap stuff not good equipment

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dseelig View Post
    Get the zeiss the nokton is crap I owned it and got a lot of fringing with it . Also a very soft lens contrast and sharpness wise the zeiss is much better
    Quote Originally Posted by dseelig View Post
    Quite frankly I listened to reid reviews bought some of the cheap stuff he suggested and I got cheap stuff not good equipment

My experience with Voigtlander lenses are just the opposite to yours.

The 50/1.5 Nokton is a great lens, as is the 75/2.5, 40/1.4, and 28/1.9

I have enjoyed each of the above lens and had no issues at all.

JMHO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

should i get a new one at camera quest or a used one?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

should i get a new one at camera quest or a used one?
    Given what I see them going for used, I'd just as well buy a new one. I like buying my lenses new anyway ... less chance of problems from abusive handling.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

My experience with Voigtlander lenses are just the opposite to yours.

The 50/1.5 Nokton is a great lens, as is the 75/2.5, 40/1.4, and 28/1.9

I have enjoyed each of the above lens and had no issues at all.

JMHO
    +1

I've acquired a bunch of CV lenses now and find them to be very good performers. Perhaps not "Leica good", or "Zeiss good", but we're talking high end audiophile distinctions here. ];-)