The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M as a TLR, possible?

edmund

Hi Everyone -

It's been a while since Ive posted... but I recently received the Vivian Maier book (http://www.vivianmaier.com/book/), and I really like her street photos taken with a the Rollei.

So my question is this: is there an attachment, or something I can do to use my M like it was a TLR?

I feel the shooting style of a TLR helps you "disappear" even more.

Thank you!

sirimiri

The design philosophy of a rangefinder versus a twin lens reflex is different enough, that I'd just buy a TLR and be done with it.

In theory, you could buy a Visoflex and the requisite lenses/tubes for your desired focal length, THEN an angle finger for your Leica M, but by that point we're talking about a full-blow Rube Goldberg-ian device.

Or you could get a Mamiya RZ with a waist-level finder. It's not as big as people think, when configured thus.

Godfrey

Put a 35mm lens on it, learn how to point it, zone focus and shoot from the hip. Easy, cheap.

Or buy a TLR ... Really, if you like shooting film you'll love shooting with a Rolleiflex.

250swb

You could put a spirit level on top of your M and look down at that while sneaking a view of your target? A wide lens such as a 21mm on the camera and you have enough leeway to crop down to the image you envisioned later.

But nothing works as well as a real TLR. There are some terrific ones available from the very cheap and cheerful Lubitel (which has a lens far better than you could expect for the price), to the Mamiya 220 and 330 interchangable lens cameras, and then the pinnacle the Rolleiflex 2.8F.

Steve

bensonga

+1 for the Mamiya TLR (I have a C220)....not as elegant as a Rollie, but excellent optics and much less expensive.

edmund

Thanks everyone --

I do have a wonderful Koniflex I found in a flea market in Southern India a few years ago.

However, being able to utilize the large sensor and optics of my M9 would be incredible.

Any digital TLRs out there that compare to the quality of the M9?