Site Sponsors

Thread: New M8 firmware

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

New M8 firmware

Just noticed this on the LUF. Downloaded it and installed on my M8 without any problems. The Auto-ISO is cool and the camera seems to boot quicker.

http://de.leica-camera.com/assets/fi...=file_3795.zip

Robert

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New M8 firmware

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the information. I see that there is know way back to earlier versions of the firmware once you upgrade. Lets hope there are no glitches.

Guy,

Have you been using this for some time? Are there any other non documented features?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ed:

I think Jack and Guy are at their lighting workshop this week.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Does Guy own an M8?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thanks Robert. I have just updated my apple software and the highlight problem in Aperture for the DMR was fixed.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rob.

Looking at LUF it seems like this is a very nice release. I will try it out when I get home.

Stephen,

Guy certainly did have an M8. He used to get beta releases of the firmware, hence my question.

I have no idea if he still owns one though ...

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just upgraded and it looks fine. The auto-iso look like it will take some figuring out but over to New Egg for some 8 or 16 gig Extreme III SD cards.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I loaded it on both my M8s and I like it. The auto ISO allows you to set the maximum ISO and / or the minimum shutter speed, or set the speed as lens-specific (1/focal length). Nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great update. Supports SDHC cards - so much for the hardware issue. Using a Sandisk 8meg ultra II, startup times and write times are dramatically faster. Very, very nice.

Auto ISO as noted.

What else - there isn't any documentation up in English? Any difference in high ISO performance?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Someone at the LUF mentioned that the high ISO results look a bit better. Having gone through this line of wishful thinking for previous firmware updates, I was ready for it this time, and did shots at ISO 1600 and ISO 2500, before and after. There is a noticeable difference, with much better smoothing going on now. They are still quite noisy, but better. I wonder what the difference will look like after a round of Noise Ninja or a similar piece of software?
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

Carsten - did you notice the difference in the DNGs or the JPEGs?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All,

After playing around with ISO 2500 and 1250 I agree with Carsten that there appears to be an improvment in the noise. The chroma noise seems to be thinner and less blotchy. I have not tried the JPEGs yet.

I bought myself a SanDisk Extreme III SDHC card though and cant say the write times appear to have changed much. Are people noticing a dramatic difference here? I am shooting DNG only which I never considered bad in the first instance.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Loaded with no issue.

Faster start up. Definitely faster reformatting.

High ISO is marginally better ... ISO 1250 is almost usable now for me, and I'll take it in a pinch ... especially converted to B&W.

Had hoped for 1250 to be much better ... oh well.

Everyone can thank me for the SDHC support ... I sold all my SDHCs last week ... so of course this week they provide HC support

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Everyone can thank me for the SDHC support ... I sold all my SDHCs last week ... so of course this week they provide HC support
    Thanks Marc! () But the truth is I am glad to know I am not the only person to get screwed on those types of timing errors Plus, if I was a luckier person than you, I'd be one of the folks who got some of your large cards!

Cheers,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Black View Post
    Carsten - did you notice the difference in the DNGs or the JPEGs?
    DNG. I have yet to put them up on my big screen though, so hold that thought...
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Carsten - Thank you for the follow up. I'll give 1250 a try again this weekend (firmware update went fine). Maybe I'll change my opinion on ISO 1250. I hope so.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

...or maybe I will? Try it in darker situations. High ISO often looks much better in daylight tests than in actual dark situations. I will see if I can get my first result online sometime this weekend.
    Carsten - Website

roberth

and I just bought 4 new cards specifically not SDHC.

Auto ISO looks like it may be useful.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Works great with the Sandisk Ultra II 16GB SDHC cards I use for my camcorder (Canon HF10). And an old LG SDHC 4GB I use for the GX100 works great. The LG is quite fast, so it may become my standard for the M8.

Post Thanks / Like

I loaded the new firmware yesterday and thus far it's performed flawlessly.

Auto ISO is a welcome feature. In fact, it's the only feature I missed after trying and selling the D200, so for me personally the M8 now behaves as a digital camera ought to. Nothing more, and now, nothing less.

I shot a few pre and post update 2500 ISO shots last night and will have a chance to evaluate them later today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I downloaded it and once it finished it changed to a UPD file, not a zip??? What did you guys open it with? Stuffit didn't even know what it was.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack,
    Mine unzipped automatically on the MacBookPro. What was left was M8-2 000.upd. Copy that .upd file to the root directory of a card formatted in the camera. You know the drill from there. (BTW, make sure you wait the 3 0r 4 seconds after turning on the M8, per the instructions.)
    Cindy

Post Thanks / Like

The UPD is the updater file. From your question, it sounds as though it was "un-zipped" immediately after download.

To continue with the update, copy the UPD file to an SD (not SDHC) card and insert it into your M8 (while it's off). When you turn the camera on, the camera should recognize the UPD file and prompt you as to whether or not you'd like to update the camera. Wait three seconds and commence with updating the firmware.

-J.

Post Thanks / Like

Jack, the file that you download from Leica is a zip compressed file m8-2_000.zip with a size of 2,235,013 bytes. When that's decompressed (unzipped) it expands to m8-2_000.upd with a size of 5,014,254 bytes. That's the update (upd) file you need to transfer to the top level root directory of your SD card.

It looks as if your Mac has a utility for automatically decompressing zip files after they've been downloaded, that's why you ended up with a upd file.

Bob.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay, thanks guys --- how stupid of me... (Been a long week here in Florida.)
    Jack

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That would be Safari, Jack. It auto-unzips zip archives by default. You can deactivate it in Preferences.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO