The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Fuji x-pro1 will be able to use M lenses

Terry

Let's see how it focuses. What methodology is going to make it different than the NEX?

V

Vivek

Let's see how it focuses. What methodology is going to make it different than the NEX?
+1

It is a live-view cam.

The initial offer of a 60/2.4 macro lens should give an indication..

dude163

It appears to have better ergonomics than the NEX cameras, but Ive only handled the NEX 5 not the new 7

V

Vivek

It appears to have better ergonomics than the NEX cameras, but Ive only handled the NEX 5 not the new 7
While my index finger is on the shutter button, only the middle finger could wrap around the "grip" in NEX-5.

Now, on the NEX-7, only 1.25 fingers are off the "grip". ;)

Shashin

And you can manually enter the focal length for third party lenses. That is getting very tempting...

pophoto

I am yet to be convinced by any APS-C sensor!
I'm not sure this will change my mind, but Fuji is saying this new camera will rival full frame DSLRs. So how much faith do you have in Fuji, I know Canon is worried about how well Fuji designs their own sensors, which holds a lot of weight coming from Canon.

Godfrey

With an adapter of course, but at 1699 retail, this might be a good price to get into the world of Leica lenses for the people who dont like ILCs ( sony NEX etc..)

http://photorumors.com/2012/01/07/detailed-fuji-x-pro-1-specs-you-must-read-this/
The Fuji X-Pro1 is an "ILC" (aka MILC, aka LIVE, aka mirrorless TTL system camera, etc etc). It has a hybrid viewfinder, integrating framelines on an optical view or switchable to an EVF, that's all. It is not in any way, shape or form a rangefinder camera. If they haven't implemented some form of focus peaking focusing display, it's a second runner for M-bayonet lenses far as I'm concerned.

But that's beside the point. The real question is how well its sensor will image with short focal length, near-symmetrical lens designs (like the Zeiss Biogons, the Voigtländer Skopars, etc). Providing an adapter on a short mount register is the easy part, optimizing the sensor to suit these RF lens designs is what takes significant effort.

The Leica M8/M9 and Ricoh GXR-M do the best job with these lens designs so far. Sony's NEX 5n is alone in the NEX and mFT camera lines that does pretty well with them, almost as well as the GXR-M.

It's this criteria that my interest in the Fuji will rest upon. The body looks nice, but I already have a very nice set of M-bayonet lenses and will not buy another body no matter how nice the body looks if it doesn't do at least as good a job with my current lenses as what I'm getting from the GXR-M.

I have other concerns as well, drawn from my recent experience with the X10, but this is the first criteria that has to be there for me to even be interested.

monza

Yes, there are many unanswered questions, some that will be addressed at CES (such as what type of focus assist) and others once it starts shipping.

As far as wide angles, I don't have any doubts that the 18/2 offering will be quite good (especially compared to the half hearted effort Sony put into their 16mm) and it looks like it will be far cheaper than any wide M glass alternatives...especially non-existent 18mm f/2 M-mount offerings. :)

V

Vivek

I am yet to be convinced by any APS-C sensor!
There are fresh rumors on a full frame Fuji already......

One good thing about this Fuji rumors has been the outpouring of expectations (not a big secret) of potential buyers on what they want.

It puts pressure on the others, especially Canon who have not shot their feet with a toy system like Nikon have done.

250swb

One good thing about this Fuji rumors has been the outpouring of expectations (not a big secret) of potential buyers on what they want.
It looks like an exciting camera.

I just wonder if it can overcome the basic fault of all recent camera releases. We get lists of what people want, or what they desperately need in many cases, and the camera manufacturers play the field to make it look like they have responded. Yet the photographs produced with all these new cameras are no different to those that have gone before? It seems the manufacturers are exploring the limits, but photographers concerns are always with traditional aspects of image making, like how sharp is it, what is the bokeh like, what is the ISO performance like. Counter this with an artist such as David Hockney (in his 70's) who not only embraces new technology, but pushes it further than most people, making drawings on his iPad or multi panel video pieces.

So the question is, what great photographs will people make with this new Fuji? Why is it going to be a must have? Will it get you the Pulitzer Prize, or will another year go by looking at bokeh and testing lenses and high ISO? Because lets face it, out in the real world there will still be the guy with an M6 working away and being more constructive, imaginative, and producing something far more worthwhile than most people and without even needing to acknowledge the Fuiji X-Pro 1 exists. Using Leica lenses on it will be a pointless game without a plan.

Steve

V

Vivek

So the question is, what great photographs will people make with this new Fuji? Why is it going to be a must have? Will it get you the Pulitzer Prize, or will another year go by looking at bokeh and testing lenses and high ISO? Because lets face it, out in the real world there will still be the guy with an M6 working away and being more constructive, imaginative, and producing something far more worthwhile than most people and without even needing to acknowledge the Fuiji X-Pro 1 exists.

Steve
What have M8 and M9 accomplished? Is that your question, Steve?;)

Shashin

So the question is, what great photographs will people make with this new Fuji?

Steve
Shhh. Some people don't get. Just think how great it will look hanging around your neck!

:rolleyes:

But I think for folks that don't have this type of camera, it is really nice. I have something very similar and I am not sure I will spring for the Fuji simply because it is not going to give me a whole lot more in terms of quality or handling compared to what it will replace--I don't find the newest cameras are really making significant changes in terms of image quality.

Anders_HK

It looks like an exciting camera.

I just wonder if it can overcome the basic fault of all recent camera releases. We get lists of what people want, or what they desperately need in many cases, and the camera manufacturers play the field to make it look like they have responded. Yet the photographs produced with all these new cameras are no different to those that have gone before? It seems the manufacturers are exploring the limits, but photographers concerns are always with traditional aspects of image making, like how sharp is it, what is the bokeh like, what is the ISO performance like. Counter this with an artist such as David Hockney (in his 70's) who not only embraces new technology, but pushes it further than most people, making drawings on his iPad or multi panel video pieces.

So the question is, what great photographs will people make with this new Fuji? Why is it going to be a must have? Will it get you the Pulitzer Prize, or will another year go by looking at bokeh and testing lenses and high ISO? Because lets face it, out in the real world there will still be the guy with an M6 working away and being more constructive, imaginative, and producing something far more worthwhile than most people and without even needing to acknowledge the Fuiji X-Pro 1 exists. Using Leica lenses on it will be a pointless game without a plan.

Steve
+111

Shhh. Some people don't get. Just think how great it will look hanging around your neck!

:rolleyes:

But I think for folks that don't have this type of camera, it is really nice. I have something very similar and I am not sure I will spring for the Fuji simply because it is not going to give me a whole lot more in terms of quality or handling compared to what it will replace--I don't find the newest cameras are really making significant changes in terms of image quality.
+111

The aim nowadays seems to make and market a cameras to be purchased, not primarily for providing excellent tools to command by experience of getting to know them in your sleep to make quality photos with, but mere to enable large sales and upgrades.

Gradual upgrades and many models create income for the companies to make more such to sell... and makes us all spend ALOT on camera gear and electronics... , is it not???

The introduction to "hands-on preview" on dpreview:

:"When Fujifilm announced its FinePix X100 retro-styled large-sensor compact at Photokina 2010, it captured the imagination of serious photographers in a way the company seemed not to have quite anticipated. The X100's combination of 'traditional' dial-based handling and outstanding image quality brought widespread plaudits, making it something of a cult classic despite its undeniable flaws. The subsequent addition to the range of the X10 compact, with its bright, manually-controlled zoom lens, has cemented Fujifilm's resurgence as a brand worthy of serious attention.

The X100 may have looked very traditional but it housed some very modern technologies - foremost amongst which was its hybrid optical/electronic viewfinder. This design not only allowed the choice of a rangefinder-style optical view or a fully electronic view but was also able to overlay electronic data over the optical viewfinder. It was a masterpiece of engineering, but appeared to be a design very much dependent on its use with an integrated prime lens.

With the X100's success and the increasing popularity of mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras, it seemed only a matter of time before Fujifilm would introduce a higher-end model with exchangeable lenses. And after heavy hints that such a beast was indeed in the offing, that moment has now arrived. The camera is called the X-Pro1, leaving absolutely no doubt as to its intended market: it becomes the first camera of its type specifically aimed at professional photographers."
:

Does the above really match reality or is pure marketing BS??? :loco:

Best regards
Anders

Godfrey

The more I look at this beautiful looking Fuji, the more I yearn for simplicity: a camera which does as little as possible and just lets me see. I don't need 9/10 of the bells and whistles they've put into this camera. I don't want focus by wire, I'm not convinced that autofocus does me much benefit.

Nope, not for me. I'll have to stick with the old tired M9. ;-)

Anders_HK

Full res sample files here:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_pro1/sample_images/

Simply amazing what this little camera can do!

If Fuji scales this up to MF it's game over for some other players.
I am curious of what you are smoking or drinking, I would like to have some of that too! :D

The sample images are notably NOT sharp. :thumbdown:

Scale to MF? Really? If we scale it to the same size of 80MP sensors from Leaf and Phase One that means 94MP that is NOT sharp. Not to mention comparing the color rendering and more (low ISO). Thus seems a bad investment for Fuji to make it into MF... On other hand, if they did and wrapped it to same size camera without all the auto features and same price as they are selling this one for, I might be interested.

Now no. I think it is smarter to wait for an even better and more manual camera to appear in future... if it at all does. Else I shoot iPhone and MF and save my money. :D

Interesting to read of it, but PR of it is amazing to make people go dreaming online that it is magic camera. Does it brew fresh coffee too???

Cudos to Fuji for trying. However rather than all they put on the PR build up, would have been better for them to spend some extra on sensor to scaled it at least to FF which would have made more respectable than the mere 16MP, assuming they would have been sharp ones...

Best regards,
Anders

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am curious of what you are smoking or drinking, I would like to have some of that too! :D

The sample images are notably NOT sharp. :thumbdown:

Scale to MF? Really? If we scale it to the same size of 80MP sensors from Leaf and Phase One that means 94MP that is NOT sharp. Not to mention comparing the color rendering and more (low ISO). Thus seems a bad investment for Fuji to make it into MF... On other hand, if they did and wrapped it to same size camera without all the auto features and same price as they are selling this one for, I might be interested.

Now no. I think it is smarter to wait for an even better and more manual camera to appear in future... if it at all does. Else I shoot iPhone and MF and save my money. :D

Interesting to read of it, but PR of it is amazing to make people go dreaming online that it is magic camera. Does it brew fresh coffee too???

Cudos to Fuji for trying. However rather than all they put on the PR build up, would have been better for them to spend some extra on sensor to scaled it at least to FF which would have made more respectable than the mere 16MP, assuming they would have been sharp ones...

Best regards,
Anders
Well - Anders - I cannot see where these images are not sharp or of any bad quality already in this preliminary version ....

What are you smoking :D