The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Fuji x-pro1 will be able to use M lenses

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Probably the same stuff I am.
The leaf and ivy image does look a bit soft over-all to my eye at 100%.
But that is not all that bad.
If these were files that came from my MF back, I would send the back in for work.
-bob

Shashin

Bob, this is an APS-C size sensor and a low-contrast target taken by Hoo Nose. I would imagine your MFD back, even a 16MP one, would do better.

I think the MF comment was wishing for Fuji to make a MFD camera, not comparing it to one.

Amin

The Leica M8/M9 and Ricoh GXR-M do the best job with these lens designs so far. Sony's NEX 5n is alone in the NEX and mFT camera lines that does pretty well with them, almost as well as the GXR-M
From what I have seen, the NEX-C3 is similar to the 5N in this regard. My personal experience is that the Sony 16/2.8 edge performance is similar on the C3 and 5N, in both cases a bit better than it was on the 5.

monza

Interesting lens offerings for later this year and next:

Later this year:
-14mm f/2.8
- 18-72mm f/4.0 with IS (Image stabilization).

Next:
- 28mm f/2.8 pancake
- 23mm f/2.0
- 72-200mm f/4.0 IS
- 12-24mm f/4.0 IS

The 14mm makes adapted super wides kinda moot.

Godfrey

From what I have seen, the NEX-C3 is similar to the 5N in this regard. My personal experience is that the Sony 16/2.8 edge performance is similar on the C3 and 5N, in both cases a bit better than it was on the 5.
Could be ... I've never even seen a NEX C3 never mind seen any testing work done with one.

Sean Reid's latest update on the A12 comparing NEX 5n and GXR-M demonstrate pretty clearly that the GXR-M does a better job with "near symmetrical" short focal length RF lenses. That falls in line to what I saw with my friends NEX 5 and Sam's comparison of 5n and GXR-M.

Terry

Could be ... I've never even seen a NEX C3 never mind seen any testing work done with one.

Sean Reid's latest update on the A12 comparing NEX 5n and GXR-M demonstrate pretty clearly that the GXR-M does a better job with "near symmetrical" short focal length RF lenses. That falls in line to what I saw with my friends NEX 5 and Sam's comparison of 5n and GXR-M.
I thought Sean's last testing on the CV15 showed that GXR had less color shift and was more cyan vs Sony more purplish but both clearly needed to be corrected with cornerfix or an LCC correction. It was published yesterday.

Godfrey

I thought Sean's last testing on the CV15 showed that GXR had less color shift and was more cyan vs Sony more purplish but both clearly needed to be corrected with cornerfix or an LCC correction. It was published yesterday.
I read Sean's report last evening. It showed that, but it also showed substantially better corner/edge resolution, all the time, with the GXR-M vs the NEX 5n despite the decrement to 12 Mpixels vs 16 Mpixels. With the NEX 5n stopped down to f/5.6-8 (CV 15), there was improvement but it never hit the same quality as the GXR-M. The color shifting is a lesser problem; the resolution degradation is more significant.

The CV 15 is a weak retrofocus design. IMO, the CV 21/4 presents a better stress test because while it is a little longer focal length, it's a more nearly-symmetric optical design and stresses the sensor optimization more. When I tested the GXR-M vs the NEX 5 (not 5n) using the Skopar 21/4, the difference was quite noticeable without any pixel peeping required.

Amin

Wow, good for Fuji. That looks like a heck of a lineup (on paper) !

Later this year:
-14mm f/2.8

Next:
- 28mm f/2.8 pancake
- 23mm f/2.0
- 72-200mm f/4.0 IS
- 12-24mm f/4.0 IS

ptomsu

Workshop Member

Later this year:
-14mm f/2.8

Next:
- 28mm f/2.8 pancake
- 23mm f/2.0
- 72-200mm f/4.0 IS
- 12-24mm f/4.0 IS

Where did you get this list from?

Thanks

Peter

Godfrey

Rumor sites have been part of marketing for some time now ... Hype and anticipation helps sales.

fotografz

Rumor sites are a God sent for these camera companies ... the message goes viral instantly, and takes the temperature of the marketplace in an age where plans for the next camera are probably already in the prototype stage.

Publish or perish has never been more true for these companies (a marketing model taken from the computer companies that puts dreamy $ in the eyes of corporate executives) ... and the resulting constant gaze out toward the coming horizon on the part of "we the consumer" has never been so intense. The newest camera is barely out of the box, and we long for the next step in the evolution ... which we can be certain they are already working on ... and when it comes we are so fixed on the horizon beyond that it is NEVER enough. :wtf:

All this creates a sort of emotional conflict and odd anxiety :loco: We think this will make us better somehow, or some way, so we get it, but in the back of our heads we worry that it'll soon be defunct, less than, obsolete, and by extension so will we ... Ad Infinite Nauseum.

Kinda pathetic if you think about it. :eek:

-Marc

fotografz

Full res sample files here:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_pro1/sample_images/

Simply amazing what this little camera can do!

If Fuji scales this up to MF it's game over for some other players.
Well, given the state of Kodak, and the fact that Hasselblad has a tight working relationship and history with Fuji, the notion of Fuji making sensors for them is an interesting leap of logic.

Whether Fuji could make a 645 sized sensor is a whole other can of worms. However, if it IS possible, and the new Fuji CMOS sensor technology introduced in this camera can be implemented and refined, then the first CMOS MFD camera and all that implies could become a reality.

I love pipe dreams, they don't cost a single penny, and help put you to sleep at night :)

-Marc

V

Vivek

Well, given the state of Kodak, and the fact that Hasselblad has a tight working relationship and history with Fuji, the notion of Fuji making sensors for them is an interesting leap of logic.

-Marc
Word out on the wilderness is that this Fuji designed sensor was made by Toshiba that is now owned by Sony.

fotografz

Well - Anders - I cannot see where these images are not sharp or of any bad quality already in this preliminary version ....

What are you smoking :D
Currently an e-cig ... another tech oddity to simulate the real thing like some of these cameras ... you have to suck on it like a baby bottle for a single puff :ROTFL:

I don't put much stock in initial images from a new camera. If I did, these images would put it in the "do not buy" column immediately.

As is, they do not transcend the APSC look and feel, the sky shot with moon @ ISO 200 shows obvious tonal stepping in the constant gradients, and nothing is particularly sharp.; The architectural detail is flat 2D looking and oddly hazy in the shadow areas to my eye; The waterfall also looks APSC 2D flat which is a crime for this sort of shot; I can't find any part of the close up of the red pod thingy that's sharp; and the flat ivy shot manages to make a living thing look dead.

This pup has to get out in the real world and the files handled by artists that have something in mind when they shoot and that memory when they process ... then we'll see what it can do.

-Marc

monza

Fujifilm has said the leaked lens roadmap for the X-mount used in its X-Pro1 is close but not finalized. Fujifilm's Kayce Baker, speaking to dpreview at the CES show in Las Vegas, said the leaked roadmap was 'a close estimate' of its plans but that some decisions, such as how fast the lenses maximum apertures will be, have not yet been made. The official line remains that there will be nine lenses in the next two years.

Whatever they release this year probably has max aperture already, or it won't be til next. :)

Seascape

Full res sample files here:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_pro1/sample_images/

Simply amazing what this little camera can do!

If Fuji scales this up to MF it's game over for some other players.

I'm afraid I don't see "simply amazing" in these samples. My lowly six year old M8 is safe for quite a while yet, if this is all the latest technology can produce.

Right now I would say Leica could really separate themselves from the pack, with a next generation sensor in the M10.

I'm sitting on the fence waiting for something that is a significant improvement to the currently available image quality :cool:

yatlee

X2

I downloaded all full size jpg. They are ok, but nothing that I would call amazing. Love to hear what you see that I don't.